Biggest sounding 212 you've played?

I've had three 2X12 cabs. An Egnater tourmaster 2X12 which was good but I sold it to get A Mesa 2X12 with V30s which sounded great. I did end up selling it. I currently have a Splawn 2x12 with G12M-65 creambacks and it is an amazing cab. I'll be keeping this one. The build quality is fantastic and those Creambacks sound awesome.
Agree. I have two of 'em.

The best 1x12 I’ve played was a port city, I imagine there 2x12 would be pretty damn epic. I’ve just picked up a Barefaced Audio Radical 212, only gigged with it for the first time last night but as very impressed with it, very controlled and balanced sound, no overly bassy or harsh on the top end, expensive but worth it for me and the fact it’s incredibly light helps with me lugging around the EV.

You guys are so lucky in the US with so many domestic options and shipping is cheap. I looked at Stage Craft cabinets and it's gonna cost just as much ti ship the 212 studio can go me in Canada.

We're stuck here paying premium for name brands 90% of the time. Even our local home made brands like Revv and Wizard aren't cheap.

The closest sounding 2x12 to a 4x12 was the Genz Benz. That was a beefy sounding 2x12. Then again it took just as much effort to haul that thing as a 4x12. And at the time why I sold it, what was the point really. That said IMO, (my main everyday cab is a Bogner OS 2x12) nothing sounds like a 4x12. I recently did some jamming with lifelong friends and got my 4x12 out of storage and it kills the Bogner, just simple physics to me i.e. 4 is more than 2 lol. Now I do like that Bogner OS the best of the the 2x12's I have owned, and it's my main everyday cab but if space isn't an issue, I'm always taking a 4x12.

Last edited:
Zinky 2x12 holds its own against a Mesa OS 4x12. @SBlue is my witness.

I had a Zinky 2x12, to go with Mofo #13. It was among the worst 2x12 cabs I've had.
I've had a lot.
The Zinky 2x12 was dark and congested, even at loud volumes. This was back in 2002-2004.
I've had a few Avatars, horizontal and vertical Mesa, Mojave/Mather, Mojotone, Germino, plenty I cant remember...
My fav 2x12 is the Bogner OS2x12.
Folks say no 2x12 will sound like a 4x12, and they're right.
What I've found is, I prefer the 2x12. Yes, a 4x12 sounds bigger and better.
But there's something about the Bogner 2x12 that I prefer.
It's kind of like how I like a 50 watt Marshall vs a 100 watt. The 100 watt is more pleasing to hear, but I Iike playing a 50 watt more.
Anyway, the Bogner is my fav. The
horizontal Mesa is not far off from the Bogner. I know someone that likes the Friedman 2x12 better than the Bogner.
No doubt, the Bogner OS2x12 is one of the best.

I had a Zinky 2x12, to go with Mofo #13. It was among the worst 2x12 cabs I've had.
I've had a lot.
The Zinky 2x12 was dark and congested, even at loud volumes. This was back in 2002-2004.
I've had a few Avatars, horizontal and vertical Mesa, Mojave/Mather, Mojotone, Germino, plenty I cant remember...
My fav 2x12 is the Bogner OS2x12.
Folks say no 2x12 will sound like a 4x12, and they're right.
What I've found is, I prefer the 2x12. Yes, a 4x12 sounds bigger and better.
But there's something about the Bogner 2x12 that I prefer.
It's kind of like how I like a 50 watt Marshall vs a 100 watt. The 100 watt is more pleasing to hear, but I Iike playing a 50 watt more.
Anyway, the Bogner is my fav. The
horizontal Mesa is not far off from the Bogner. I know someone that likes the Friedman 2x12 better than the Bogner.
No doubt, the Bogner OS2x12 is one of the best.
Yes, the Zinky is as you describe initially.

The Eminence drivers must be broken in, and they take a great deal of time to do so. The volume of the cab is too small as well, and after talking with Bruce I stuffed mine with polyfil. He stuffed all subsequent cabs with it too. Once done, it was beastly. It killed standing waves and damped the pressure to make the speaker “see”
a greater volume. This removed the congested vibe, as well as fattened the bass response.

Per your 2x12 preference, there is something about them that even Bob Gjika says is superior.

Last edited by a moderator:
I joined a new band and it looks like I'll be using 212 C cabs.
I have two, a Stone age 212C with Redbacks and a Bogner 212 OS with V30/K100. For mic purposes, in case I ever need to mic the cab, I may switch to using two of the same speakers.
If I have a Redbacks cab, what do you guy recommend for the other 212? Maybe two Eminence speakers like the DV77, two CL80s or Mesa MC90s? Curious.

I will also search for a taller 212, possibly vertical even though I find horizontal cabs sound better. Maybe that Stage Craft diagonal 212 with semi open back. It's taller and slanted so better for hearing myself. Although it won't hold my taller heads like the Mesa Dual Rec or Marshall JVM 410H. :(

I used my Mark V tonight and I may end up getting a Kemper profiling amp for this gig so it will fit fine.

You guys are so lucky in the US with so many domestic options and shipping is cheap. I looked at Stage Craft cabinets and it's gonna cost just as much ti ship the 212 studio can go me in Canada.

We're stuck here paying premium for name brands 90% of the time. Even our local home made brands like Revv and Wizard aren't cheap.

You can get a Mojotone 212 cab unloaded. Shipping is $128 to Ontario. Put your speakers of choice in. Save on the weight. I don't see that as being unreasonable?
I got my Bogner 212CB shipped over from the US for $100 back in Nov.

You can get a Mojotone 212 cab unloaded. Shipping is $128 to Ontario. Put your speakers of choice in. Save on the weight. I don't see that as being unreasonable?
I got my Bogner 212CB shipped over from the US for $100 back in Nov.
Thanks.. I was looking at Mojo tone when I was looking for a big 212 cabinet.. ended up with the Splawn Vertical wide 212.. according to measurements, its bigger than the MojoTone ones:

Vertical Slant Mid 25.5" wide 29.5" height 14" deep.. the one I got was Black tolex and white piping. It was still cheaper to buy that even after Shipping and duties/taxes than buying a Mesa Vertical 212 from Long and McQuade or Steves Music in Toronto... I had just taken speakers out of my 412 at the time, so worked out perfectly.

PXL_20210930_204221182.jpg

Has anyone had experience with a Stage Craft diagonal 212, either straight or slant top? Wondering if this would sound bigger than my Bogner 212 cabinet.

I also found a Genz Benz G-Flex used at Guitar Center but I had a few of these cabs years ago and remember them being sort of boomy. I can't quite recall, but I know there was a reason I sold them.

Never tried a Port City.

Would love to find a Mesa Boogie vertical half back.

Thanks.. I was looking at Mojo tone when I was looking for a big 212 cabinet.. ended up with the Splawn Vertical wide 212.. according to measurements, its bigger than the MojoTone ones:

Vertical Slant Mid 25.5" wide 29.5" height 14" deep.. the one I got was Black tolex and white piping. It was still cheaper to buy that even after Shipping and duties/taxes than buying a Mesa Vertical 212 from Long and McQuade or Steves Music in Toronto... I had just taken speakers out of my 412 at the time, so worked out perfectly.

View attachment 121138
It's a Splan Vertical wide? Interesting. It's bigger than the Stage Craft diagonal 212 which is 27" tall, 26" wide and 14" deep, but it is about $350 empty.

It's a Splan Vertical wide? Interesting. It's bigger than the Stage Craft diagonal 212 which is 27" tall, 26" wide and 14" deep, but it is about $350 empty.
Yep. its vertical and not much narrower than a 412 to be honest. it doesnt sound like a 412 as nothing will, but it sounds pretty big and wide. great sound spread and its easy to carry and transport in the back of an SUV with all of my other gear.

Back