Schenker's place in the guitar god hierarchy

Some of the UFO stuff is decent, more pop oriented imo. The MSG stuff is more hard rock. Armed and Ready, Are you Ready To Rock, Into the Arena, Captain Nemo, Attack of the Mad Axeman and Desert Song are some of my favorites.

Its just 70’s hard rock. VH has plenty of weak material too.

One trick I picked up from Schenker is the art of the neck bend. Haha. My first good guitar was a Gibson V. It was awesome for bending.
was just listening to best of vh and man compared to early vh i can’t listen to the diver/84 to sammy era stuff anymore. weird.

I know everyone likes to bag on him, but Kirk Hammett is way up there for influence in picking up the guitar and shredding away, just due to being in the biggest band on the planet for a couple of decades. Likewise, someone like Slash who's influence carried through a decade after GNR imploded.

Earlier on, I think we have to give Clapton credit. He's arguably up there with Jimi and EVH for influence, perhaps arguable that he's more influential on the grander scale.
Don't you dare mention his name in a MS thread! But that said, Hamster also loves MS. I have heard him say that numerous times.

Wow 200 + replies kn my thread! My best ever. I should make it my last. Leave on a high note rather than sticking around like malmsteen and rehashing.

This post is so over the top it feels like it is on purpose just trying to stir shit up lol. We all know Jimi created hard rock guitar to a degree (and so did Tonwshend at least sonically).

But to downplay EVH and call him a lucky guy who played keg parties is ridiculous. EVH wrote every piece of music in the VH catalogue with multiple singers and advanced his playing compositionally and tonally beyond everyone in his time. Everyone chased him in the 80s. Multiple platinum records with multiple singers. The stuff he did with Sammy was incredible too. To just write that off is ridiculous. Jimi had his style and so did Ed but Jimi ran out of ideas a hell of a lot faster than Ed.

As for Schenker, he never was a great songwriter. Incredible 70s euro lead player for sure though.

I'd argue that Ed ran out of ideas faster than MS did. Lead wise MS just got better and better with his phrasing. But it is going to be a hard one to compare if you don't think his song writing is strong. I personally think it is and I also think that MS has as many good bangers as VH does. Maybe not the same swing or as greasy but he's got some great tunes and some amazing melodic moments that span past the DLR era. I don't doubt he threw a fit at being upstaged by EVH though. Sounds like an MS thing to do.

Great feel to this one. Perfectly combines melodies with a kick ass riff. Doesn't get any better than that outro solo in the context of the song either.

More killer stuff here into late 80's with McAuley. I mean these are solid ass euro melodic tunes. He often has this ability to match the material to his singers and this isn't discussed much.

More killer stuff here into late 80's with McAuley. I mean these are solid ass euro melodic tunes. He often has this ability to match the material to his singers and this isn't discussed much.

Yes indeed he can do that very well as he's worked with a ton of high caliber vocalists throughout his career. I will always be a big fan! Great melodic rock never goes out of style here!

was just listening to best of vh and man compared to early vh i can’t listen to the diver/84 to sammy era stuff anymore. weird.
I think Diver Down was the last one I bought. Listened a few times, didn’t care much for it. Only saw them once on whatever tour was supposed to be the reunion with DLR. It was terrible and Eddie sounded like a beginner. He seemed pretty trashed.

That says it all !!!! Besides Schenker routinely stands in front of a wall of Marshalls !! I mean what more can we say ???? Really ????

I think Diver Down was the last one I bought. Listened a few times, didn’t care much for it. Only saw them once on whatever tour was supposed to be the reunion with DLR. It was terrible and Eddie sounded like a beginner. He seemed pretty trashed.
Hang ‘em high is my fav song by vh though . It’s a banger from that era

I'd argue that Ed ran out of ideas faster than MS did. Lead wise MS just got better and better with his phrasing. But it is going to be a hard one to compare if you don't think his song writing is strong. I personally think it is and I also think that MS has as many good bangers as VH does. Maybe not the same swing or as greasy but he's got some great tunes and some amazing melodic moments that span past the DLR era. I don't doubt he threw a fit at being upstaged by EVH though. Sounds like an MS thing to do.

Great feel to this one. Perfectly combines melodies with a kick ass riff. Doesn't get any better than that outro solo in the context of the song either.

How many records did Schenker sell? How many multi platinum albums did he have? I like UFO but to compare their success to VH is a non starter. Again I love his lead playing but I do not see the innovation and evolution that EVH demonstrated from record to record. Chordwise and tonality wise EVH tunes (especially w Sammy) were way more sophisticated than anything Schenker has done. I do not think EVH ever really ran out of ideas frankly.

How many records did Schenker sell? How many multi platinum albums did he have? I like UFO but to compare their success to VH is a non starter. Again I love his lead playing but I do not see the innovation and evolution that EVH demonstrated from record to record. Chordwise and tonality wise EVH tunes (especially w Sammy) were way more sophisticated than anything Schenker has done. I do not think EVH ever really ran out of ideas frankly.

That's why it is a pointless argument. Because the Sammy stuff is more interesting keyboard wise to me than anything else. Some good tunes but the lead playing is a bit of a snore and not that impressive once Hagar comes to the fold. I think both are/were great so to me there is no winner or loser in this argument. Just diff shades of grey.

Also, we should never user multi platinum as a gauge because one good tune and you are headed to the stratosphere. By that logic, Justin Bieber is as good as VH lol.

I will say that my own thread has motivated me to pick up one of those Edwards Schenker Flying V's though. The knock off not quite white ( to avoid a lawsuit) and no logo ( also to avoid lawsuit). He played those quite extensively in the mid 80's.

I will say that my own thread has motivated me to pick up one of those Edwards Schenker Flying V's though. The knock off not quite white ( to avoid a lawsuit) and no logo ( also to avoid lawsuit). He played those quite extensively in the mid 80's.
I was thinking the same damn thing but I'll probably do an older Gibson . LOL !!

That's why it is a pointless argument. Because the Sammy stuff is more interesting keyboard wise to me than anything else. Some good tunes but the lead playing is a bit of a snore and not that impressive once Hagar comes to the fold. I think both are/were great so to me there is no winner or loser in this argument. Just diff shades of grey.

Also, we should never user multi platinum as a gauge because one good tune and you are headed to the stratosphere. By that logic, Justin Bieber is as good as VH lol.
Agree mostly - but EVH had many multi platinum albums to his name with different singers.......I think it matters

Agree mostly - but EVH had many multi platinum albums to his name with different singers.......I think it matters

I’m not sure how this thread turned into a Schenker-Van Halen battle/comparison ?

Judging a guitarist by how many records they have sold ?

It simply has nothing to do with your ability or your influence on the instrument.

I’m not sure how this thread turned into a Schenker-Van Halen battle/comparison ?

Judging a guitarist by how many records they have sold ?

It simply has nothing to do with your ability or your influence on the instrument.

Well said. It is all about recognizing great and the fact that MS should be higher up in endless list of " best evers" . I know I am posting a ton of clips but holy shit does he rip in the beginning of this clip. So unique with those bends and phrasing. In and out of minor licks. So tasty

Back