Schenker's place in the guitar god hierarchy

So you don't think Schenker ever played covers before he got in a more notable project? You do not think he learned from playing covers of Leslie West and Clapton etc? Everyone starts somewhere. I think EVH is a great improviser as most of his solos are off the cuff really. But I think you are pretty much saying he cannot wail away on the minor pentatonic in a 12 bar blues. Ok - I agree with you on that. If that is your definition of improvising - cool. MS is great but his influence was not as great as EVH and the reason for that is that he was not the musician that EVH ultimately was.
More of a popularity thing, I would think Ed had some respect for Schenker.

We had the same exact first guitar. Same color too. Mine was really awful.. Finally saved up and bought a Gibson "the Paul" for 275.00.
Yes mine wasn’t very good either. Bridge was installed off and wouldn’t intonate. Got a Guild X-79 after about a year. Much better.

Kiss and Ace Frehley were popular with pre teenagers mostly and sure, plenty of kids picked up the guitar because of Ace when they first came out... Most people, particularly if the were, or became musicians, grew out of Kiss in a hurry,... if they ever liked them at all. The shock factor of the show and the makeup etc was what they brought to the table and is what carried Ace for his relatively few years in the spotlight. . I liked them when I was 10 when they first came out because of the visual wow factor. That lasted about a year. Lol And certainly never was inspired because of Ace's playing. Michael influenced and still influences many big name players today and is still bringing the goods. Ace could not play very well in his prime, let alone now. He has not made any impact whatsoever for over 40 years. He was a flash in the pan and not a very good one. To consider him in the same category in terms of influence as Schenker or most of the others mentioned in this thread is absurd. He sucked then and is even worse now. Pre-teen Idol for a few years maybe... not a Guitar God.
Your opinion, of course, as it was mine.
While tastes in players is subjective, denying that MS is a god is just crazy talk. Gary Moore amazing. But is he doing anything MS didn't do lead wise? If he's up there, the mad axeman is there for sure. Putting him in the same sentence as Ace? lol please. We all love Ace and his song writing and style influenced a ton of players but let's not pretend his grasp of one pentatonic scale and wide vibrato was earth shattering. He infuenced people equally for setting smoke bombs off in his LP ..that's a gimmick, not a super power or divine gift. He did write the best KISS tunes though no questions. Good catchy riffs and I love him for that but he had a hell of a time playing to the tempo of the song and always dragged, He's most definitely a mortal.
It's not like Gary Moore came along late into the game, riding anybody's coattails, (other than his bond with Peter Green). He was tearing up the scene in the early 70's, even before Thin Lizzy. He's surely a "God" to many, including me. I can say Schenker was never as cultured/versatile as Moore. Blues, Jazz, Fusion, shred, Classical. No. Schenker is one-dimensional.

People are entitled to their opinions, and 99.999% of these posts are just that. I don't get all the butthurt when people disagree, or the Ace Frehley hate. If Dimebag were alive, I'm sure he'd say he was a god to him.. Would they verbally disagree with him? I doubt it. Most ass-kissers here would change their tune. People are bandwagoners here.

Last edited:
Yes mine wasn’t very good either. Bridge was installed off and wouldn’t intonate. Got a Guild X-79 after about a year. Much better.
I started on the same guitar too! Hondo II LP with a sunburst top. Looking at pictures of them they look to be solid (as in good) bodies, but I sold mine decades ago and only played it through a gen 1 crate 10" practice amp.

Because I love Michael this is my favorite solo of all time: I love how he jumps around octaves mid line. When he worked out his solos, he was fire.

wassap braddahman⚡🤙🏽
waves have been firing this year—check out this board i got in january-aipabolt!!
Hoooooooooo Braddahcuz! Is than an Akila Aipa shape?? I just got back Sunday from a week long Mexico surf trip - 7 days straight 2x surf per day, we’re cooked....and straight back into gigs We had 6 days in a row starting last night but COVID shot some of those...back at it tonight and all day 4th of July w all three bands. Looking at a Class Reunion trip in October back to Oahu, if it works going check you out !

Your opinion, of course, as it was mine.

It's not like Gary Moore came along late into the game, riding anybody's coattails, (other than his bond with Peter Green). He was tearing up the scene in the early 70's, even before Thin Lizzy. He's surely a "God" to many, including me. I can say Schenker was never as cultured/versatile as Moore. Blues, Jazz, Fusion, shred, Classical. No. Schenker is one-dimensional.

People are entitled to their opinions, and 99.999% of these posts are just that. I don't get all the butthurt when people disagree, or the Ace Frehley hate. If Dimebag were alive, I'm sure he'd say he was a god to him.. Would they verbally disagree with him? I doubt it. Most ass-kissers here would change their tune. People are bandwagoners here.
Opinions Def. Do vary. I've got MS over Moore. But either way, nobody is hating on Ace I don't think. He just isn't that great of a lead player. He's still very much respected.

Hoooooooooo Braddahcuz! Is than an Akila Aipa shape?? I just got back Sunday from a week long Mexico surf trip - 7 days straight 2x surf per day, we’re cooked....and straight back into gigs We had 6 days in a row starting last night but COVID shot some of those...back at it tonight and all day 4th of July w all three bands. Looking at a Class Reunion trip in October back to Oahu, if it works going check you out !
Duke Aipa custom. It’s his Dark Twinn model but the dims are custom for me and he collaborated with Lightning Bolt for their 50th anniversary last year. HAD to get one! waves have been great this year! went Sandys today sandbars cherry couple in and outs and planny closeout gribblez🤙🏽

Back