Is this what trendy guitar playing has become?

anomaly

For a while there I couldn't tell if the guy could play or not? The high gain stuff happens at about 11 mins in.

There is nothing trendy about a chubby prog metal head chugging on some amps haha.
Some cool tones there though, I dig the one at 15:07. He's playing cool interesting chords.

There is nothing trendy about a chubby prog metal head chugging on some amps haha.
Some cool tones there though, I dig the one at 15:07. He's playing cool interesting chords.
Ya, it looks like he knows some of the most dissonant chords out there. There are parts of it that I think are interesting though, and the tones are good for some of it.

I mean trendy in the metal genre.
I was always told I was a loser for listening to Prog/Djent/Core music haha.... so I'm glad I'm considered trendy!

Some of the washy high gain chords reminds me of Fates Warning (the later on stuff).

When I think "trendy guitar playing" I think of the instagram shredders who post 20 second clips that inevitably includes a sweep + tap.

I think the biggest trend I've seen of recent times has been the guys who are doing the shred thing with the single/split coil tones with mild distortion, the Plini/Tosin/Polyphia guys. I don't dig most of it, but I'm stoked that the younger generation getting into guitar has these guys as a starting point. When I started it was Nirvana, Weezer and Green Day that my peers were into. Now the kids are starting off with all this technical/prog/djent stuff and regardless of my enjoyment of it, the bar has gotten a bit higher than it was 30 years ago.

That's just John Browne showing off some gear he was paid to play in today's version of the infomercial. Same as Ola, Leon Todd, eytschPi, etc. etc. Hardly what I'd call trendy. Not my style, I don't play in drop triple Q tuning so it's not overly interesting to me.

Actually thought he made a really good demo for the VHT Sig X, definitely the best one I've seen on YT anyway.

Some of the washy high gain chords reminds me of Fates Warning (the later on stuff).

I am clueless as to who this guy is, and he is probably the "King of Everything Djent and Trendy" right now, but he is definitely NO Jim Matheos, :p
Kidding....

Demos in his tunings dont reeeeally help me but there are people who dig Brown. I do like his simple presentation

Back