Is this what trendy guitar playing has become?

When I think "trendy guitar playing" I think of the instagram shredders who post 20 second clips that inevitably includes a sweep + tap.

I think the biggest trend I've seen of recent times has been the guys who are doing the shred thing with the single/split coil tones with mild distortion, the Plini/Tosin/Polyphia guys. I don't dig most of it, but I'm stoked that the younger generation getting into guitar has these guys as a starting point. When I started it was Nirvana, Weezer and Green Day that my peers were into. Now the kids are starting off with all this technical/prog/djent stuff and regardless of my enjoyment of it, the bar has gotten a bit higher than it was 30 years ago.
This makes me happy. Excellent take. Glad to see you're not gate keeping metal with the music you grew up with at high school. Takes real self awareness to honestly dislike something, but understand and respect it.

I love my Djent as much as I do my 80s stuff, I don't say that much on here as I know people aren't into it. I like that the young folks are doing it anyway, that's true "rock n roll"... doing something new and pissing off the oldies. :cool:

Last edited:
When I started it was Nirvana, Weezer and Green Day that my peers were into. Now the kids are starting off with all this technical/prog/djent stuff and regardless of my enjoyment of it, the bar has gotten a bit higher than it was 30 years ago.

What you and I were listening was music my friend.
What you are describing here, is actually the reason why we're not listening to music nowadays but rather a compilation of technical exercises and showoffs.
This is the problem with all those virtuosos. Full technicality and zero emotionally driven and inspiring songwriting.
Write an actual fucking song that will make me feel something.
If I want guitar practicing I'll just buy an instructional CD/video.

I like John Browne’s videos and playing style. Seems very unique, no matter what he always sounds like him. He plays in DADGAD or CGCFGC if I remember correctly.

As far as his tones go, it’s kind of hit and miss for my preference. I thought he got some great tones with the SLO30 demo and Fryette Pittbull (head) demo. I don’t like most of his synergy demos, but some were good. There’s a demo of the Mesa triple crown on his channel that sounds like it’s a broken transistor radio.

I’ve tried listening to monuments before and I couldn’t really get into it.

If he starts making YouTube videos again I’ll enjoy watching them. I know they’re just paid ads for the most part but they’re generally entertaining.

The guy is a good player; he used to be in Fellsilent (along with Acle from Tesseract) and they were pretty damn badass IMO

It just bothers me how he can't turn his neck :LOL:

This makes me happy. Excellent take. Glad to see you're not gate keeping metal with the music you grew up with at high school. Takes real self awareness to honestly dislike something, but understand and respect it.

I love my Djent as much as I do my 80s stuff, I don't say that much on here as I know people have an invested interest in putting down anything that is outside their realm of acceptability. I like that the young folks are doing it anyway, that's true "rock n roll"... doing something new and pissing off the oldies. :cool:

There’s some djent stuff I dig, I REALLY dug Periphery’s last album and some Tesseract stuff I‘ve heard.

I try not to talk shit about much of anything (outside of NDSP, anyway) because it’s all just subjective bullshit and anyone making a hard take on what is good and what isn’t is talking with their head up their ass.

What you and I were listening was music my friend.
What you are describing here, is actually the reason why we're not listening to music nowadays but rather a compilation of technical exercises and showoffs.
This is the problem with all those virtuosos. Full technicality and zero emotionally driven and inspiring songwriting.
Write an actual fucking song that will make me feel something.
If I want guitar practicing I'll just buy an instructional CD/video.

My dad used to say the same stuff about Dream Theater and Vai when I was huge into them as a teen. It’s not really up to me to decide what’s emotionally driven and what isn’t, for all I know whoever is writing the current stuff is getting their rocks off and it’s fulfilling all their musical goals. Clearly other people are digging it and eating it right up, so who am I to deny it, ya know?

If I don’t dig it, I just don’t listen to it.

There’s some djent stuff I dig, I REALLY dug Periphery’s last album and some Tesseract stuff I‘ve heard.

I try not to talk shit about much of anything (outside of NDSP, anyway) because it’s all just subjective bullshit and anyone making a hard take on what is good and what isn’t is talking with their head up their ass.

I'm glad you are like this! I see people regularly on here shit on new music just because it didn't come out when they were full of hormones in high school.

It's funny cus these 70s/80s guys lived for loud rock n roll, and pissing of the older generation. But when theses guys BECOME the older generation, suddenly the rules change.

My dad used to say the same stuff about Dream Theater and Vai when I was huge into them as a teen. It’s not really up to me to decide what’s emotionally driven and what isn’t, for all I know whoever is writing the current stuff is getting their rocks off and it’s fulfilling all their musical goals. Clearly other people are digging it and eating it right up, so who am I to deny it, ya know?

If I don’t dig it, I just don’t listen to it.
Alright,

First of, music has no age.
Good music is been written today as it was in previous decades. There's good music and bad music. On every genre, at every year and decade since the beginning.

Now,
If someone is interested in this virtuoso thing that's great, nothing wrong with that.
I respect the fact that someone has spent hours and hours of practicing, to reach a certain level of technicality. But that's about it.
Listening to a song (good or bad) is one thing and instrument wanking is another.
How long can you listen to Malmsteen, Petrucci etc if you are not a mucisian?
You know what I mean?
Just ask your girlfriend/wife whoever.

Of course it's up to you - the listener, to decide if something is good or bad, inspired or not. Can't you understand that? That's why there are songs that we call "fillers" in an album and songs that are hits.
Should someone else do it for you? Don't you have an opinion? Unless you have no idea about music which is unlikely, given the fact that you're writing on a forum that's about music & gear.
So yes you shouldn't be afraid to express your opinion on the matter.

What do you mean by "current stuff"?
There's current stuff that's awesome and current stuff that's shit.
It always have been like that.
Just because something sells doesn't mean it's great or quality. Do you know what marketing and promotion is?

I agree with the fact that if I don't dig it, I won't listen to it.

Alright,

First of, music has no age.
Good music is been written today as it was in previous decades. There's good music and bad music. On every genre, at every year and decade since the beginning.

Now,
If someone is interested in this virtuoso thing that's great, nothing wrong with that.
I respect the fact that someone has spent hours and hours of practicing, to reach a certain level of technicality. But that's about it.
Listening to a song (good or bad) is one thing and instrument wanking is another.
How long can you listen to Malmsteen, Petrucci etc if you are not a mucisian?
You know what I mean?
Just ask your girlfriend/wife whoever.

Of course it's up to you - the listener, to decide if something is good or bad, inspired or not. Can't you understand that? That's why there are songs that we call "fillers" in an album and songs that are hits.
Should someone else do it for you? Don't you have an opinion? Unless you have no idea about music which is unlikely, given the fact that you're writing on a forum that's about music & gear.
So yes you shouldn't be afraid to express your opinion on the matter.

What do you mean by "current stuff"?
There's current stuff that's awesome and current stuff that's shit.
It always have been like that.
Just because something sells doesn't mean it's great or quality. Do you know what marketing and promotion is?

I agree with the fact that if I don't dig it, I won't listen to it.

Just because I don’t like something doesn’t mean it’s “bad” or ”not inspired”. It could be the greatest thing in the world to someone else and the person who wrote it could have been truly inspired to do so. My opinion doesn’t define it.

There’s enough people shitting all over everything on the internet and my approach to how I take in/appreciate music removes me from the negative bullshit that I find completely unnecessary.

And my ex-wife walked down the aisle to the intro of “A Change Of Seasons”, didn’t do it for me and she’s not a musician.

What the hell does marketing and promotion have to do with enjoying a song/genre of music?

I'm glad you are like this! I see people regularly on here shit on new music just because it didn't come out when they were full of hormones in high school.

It's funny cus these 70s/80s guys lived for loud rock n roll, and pissing of the older generation. But when theses guys BECOME the older generation, suddenly the rules change.
I see comments like that been written a lot around here.
It's not nice when you criticize harshly other people's opinions just because you don't agree with them.
It's disrespectful and childish.
What you are writing here is just your opinion, nothing more. Doesn't mean is a fact.
So don't put them all in the same spot 😉

Just because I don’t like something doesn’t mean it’s “bad” or ”not inspired”. It could be the greatest thing in the world to someone else and the person who wrote it could have been truly inspired to do so. My opinion doesn’t define it.

There’s enough people shitting all over everything on the internet and my approach to how I take in/appreciate music removes me from the negative bullshit that I find completely unnecessary.

And my ex-wife walked down the aisle to the intro of “A Change Of Seasons”, didn’t do it for me and she’s not a musician.

What the hell does marketing and promotion have to do with enjoying a song/genre of music?
You don't get it do you?

It's not about opinions, it's about facts. And facts are what define things.
For example,
Master of Puppets is a masterpiece.
Saint Anger is shit.
Does that defines it enough for you?

I'm not gonna say much about the whole thing with your ex wife liking the intro of one Dream Theater song.
Those guys are like a dream team of virtuosos jamming together and having a good time (or a hard time writing something that you can actually listen to for more than 1 minute, nowadays at least). But that's just like my opinion 👍🏻

Marketing and promotion.. Really man?

Maybe you don't want to understand.
Or maybe you like to argue about things, I don't know.
What I'm saying is quite obvious. Whats so difficult to understand?

You know, I'm not that type of person that likes to write so long posts on forums, neither do I have the time or feel like to do so. I just like to read and discuss about music gear and help others just like they help me.
But, it just so happens that every now and then I would read something that's hard to resist not to comment on it, you know?
Especially when someone likes it to make it personal.

Anyway, that's all from me about the matter.
Carry on.

Last edited:
Back