Details of Randy Rhoads death.

Never read about any bad feelings. Randy wanted to take some time off from touring
to resume his classical guitar studies and Ozzy was cool with it.
No, that’s not what happened. When Randy told Ozzy he was leaving, Ozzy punched him in the head. Randy flat out refused to record a live album of Sabbath tunes. Randy felt that he’d solidified himself as an artist with the two albums he’d done with Ozzy. Randy felt that doing an album of Sabbath covers would be a major step backwards for him.
Ozzy and Sharon (mostly Sharon) really screwed everyone who played for them. The first big issue was that Blizzard of Oz was supposed to be a band. When the fist album came out and Randy, Bob, and Lee saw Ozzy’s name written larger than Blizzard of Oz, that’s when they discovered what was really going on. That’s just one thing that happened. Randy also wasn’t happy that Lee and Bob were fired. He knew what kind of chemistry they had together. Plus, as I said, Ozzy had sworn to them that Blizzard of Oz was a true band and not a solo project.
Ozzy would do irrational things when he was drunk, like fire the whole band in the middle of the night, kick them off the bus, and make them get a cab to the next city. It wasn’t all “Randy was my best friend” like Ozzy makes it out to be. Randy was a non-confrontational guy. He didn’t want to rock the boat too much. Plus, he was a good bit younger than all the guys he was playing with in Ozzy’s band. He was appreciative of Ozzy for the opportunity, but he definitely wanted out at the time he passed.

Dude, you’ve made plenty of assumptions yourself throughout this whole thread. Get over yourself...
Really? Please, point them out. Most of my comments (if not all) are based on eyewitness accounts, thus they are presumptions. When making an assumption, it is good form to submit them in the form of a question. Your comment that Andrew Aycock was "geeked-out on blow" at the time of the accident is a bonafide assumption. I'm not saying that I never assume, we all do... I try my best not to. If I do, I have no problem with getting called-out.

And for
No, that’s not what happened. When Randy told Ozzy he was leaving, Ozzy punched him in the head. Randy flat out refused to record a live album of Sabbath tunes. Randy felt that he’d solidified himself as an artist with the two albums he’d done with Ozzy. Randy felt that doing an album of Sabbath covers would be a major step backwards for him.
Ozzy and Sharon (mostly Sharon) really screwed everyone who played for them. The first big issue was that Blizzard of Oz was supposed to be a band. When the fist album came out and Randy, Bob, and Lee saw Ozzy’s name written larger than Blizzard of Oz, that’s when they discovered what was really going on. That’s just one thing that happened. Randy also wasn’t happy that Lee and Bob were fired. He knew what kind of chemistry they had together. Plus, as I said, Ozzy had sworn to them that Blizzard of Oz was a true band and not a solo project.
Ozzy would do irrational things when he was drunk, like fire the whole band in the middle of the night, kick them off the bus, and make them get a cab to the next city. It wasn’t all “Randy was my best friend” like Ozzy makes it out to be. Randy was a non-confrontational guy. He didn’t want to rock the boat too much. Plus, he was a good bit younger than all the guys he was playing with in Ozzy’s band. He was appreciative of Ozzy for the opportunity, but he definitely wanted out at the time he passed.
And for me it always comes back to the fact that if you loved a guy so much and he was so great etc etc, why would you rush out to get someone to learn a full set in a week and then another guy to do the same and more just so you can cash in on a live album? Show has to go on, who is our next driver and how cheap is he ? Ozzy always gets a pass for his drug use and alcoholism. Like he didn't know what his hag wife was up to or it was never his decision because he wasn't lucid. Poor me! I'm a sex addict, a drug addict, I don't know what was going on, I had no say, I was devastated blablabla. The guys a mumbling idiot who just happens to have a particular talent and was lucky to find the right guns to support him. I mean Randy, Jake, and young Zakk is an insane drop of luck not to mention the original members who he continued to allow to be screwed by pretending he knew nothing of it.

I was never a huge fan of Ozzy as a vocalist. When they fired him, I was anxious to find-out who they would choose to replace him? Wouldn't you know, they get my favorite vocalist at the time, RJD! I played Heaven And Hell so much, that I had to replace the album. On the other hand, I'll never forget hearing "Sweet Leaf" for the first time, wiped-out on Thai stick... o_O

Last edited:
And for

And for me it always comes back to the fact that if you loved a guy so much and he was so great etc etc, why would you rush out to get someone to learn a full set in a week and then another guy to do the same and more just so you can cash in on a live album? Show has to go on, who is our next driver and how cheap is he ? Ozzy always gets a pass for his drug use and alcoholism. Like he didn't know what his hag wife was up to or it was never his decision because he wasn't lucid. Poor me! I'm a sex addict, a drug addict, I don't know what was going on, I had no say, I was devastated blablabla. The guys a mumbling idiot who just happens to have a particular talent and was lucky to find the right guns to support him. I mean Randy, Jake, and young Zakk is an insane drop of luck not to mention the original members who he continued to allow to be screwed by pretending he knew nothing of it.
I love Ozzy, especially the old Ozzy, but I’m afraid you’re right. I lot of these rock stars we admire for their art/music sometimes just aren’t good people. I think Ozzy was oblivious to a lot of the business side of it. Don’t think he cared about that at all. There are some instances when he would stand up to Sharon, but I think she’s been carrying his balls in her purse since the beginning. Although I do think it’s somewhat distasteful how quick they moved on from Randy, I think they did that they had to do. You gotta strike when the iron’s hot in the music biz. They had a lot of momentum at the time and couldn’t afford to let it wane. Ozzy could very well have faded away if that would’ve happened.

I love Ozzy, especially the old Ozzy, but I’m afraid you’re right. I lot of these rock stars we admire for their art/music sometimes just aren’t good people. I think Ozzy was oblivious to a lot of the business side of it. Don’t think he cared about that at all. There are some instances when he would stand up to Sharon, but I think she’s been carrying his balls in her purse since the beginning. Although I do think it’s somewhat distasteful how quick they moved on from Randy, I think they did that they had to do. You gotta strike when the iron’s hot in the music biz. They had a lot of momentum at the time and couldn’t afford to let it wane. Ozzy could very well have faded away if that would’ve happened.
Behind every alcoholic there are a group of enablers.
As for Oz & Sharon "moving on" after Randy had the details of the crash & dysfunction of the band been made public Mr. Osbourne would not have been as successful.
Seems quite apparent Randy was "collateral damage" to the Ozzy machine.
Sharon has always been a weirdo.
Just ask Jake or anyone who has worked for her.

Last edited:
IMO, Randy and Rachael made a huge error in judgement. Drunk and out of my mind, you could not have gotten me onto that plane. My mom and aunt scheduled a flight on my uncle's F35 V tail for me and cousin. I refused to get on the plane. Bobby went up, I waited... He said it was fun, but looked like he had just seen Phyillis Diller with her cloths off. :oops:

Behind every alcoholic there are a group of enablers.
As for Oz & Sharon "moving on" after Randy had the details of the crash & dysfunction of the band been made public Mr. Osbourne would not have been as successful.
Seems quite apparent Randy was "collateral damage" to the Ozzy machine.

They should have held onto Jake E. Lee. My friend Frank said the Randy was completely annoyed by Ozzy on-stage. This was the Blizzard tour in Tampa. As Ozzy was doing his schtick, Randy would be rolling his eyes, shaking his head... According to Frank, Randy looked like he'd rather be anywhere than where he was. My cousin Bobby said the same about the Cleveland show that he attended.

I think Sharon is very much the female version of her father, Don Arden, when it comes to her management style. Arden was from the mafioso intimidation and bullying style of entertainment management where he’d threaten people with physical violence and scare the hell out of them to get what he wanted. Peter Grant (Led Zepplin) was the same way. Whereas Arden and Grant were physically big dudes and could stand over men and threaten them, Sharon couldn't use that imitation tactic as a small woman. So she made up for it by being more evil than them. She’s a true cut-throat.

Last edited:
Exactly! Randy didnt even like doing Paranoid every show. He was completely against the Sabbath cover album. I read Rudys book years ago so I forget how it went down that Randy was actually going to record SOTD, either he was talked into it or it was a contractual thing. I ran into Kelli Rhoads back in the 90's and he had said Randy was hating the whole situation. He said Randy did want to pursue his classical studies but he just really wanted out of the Oz thing.

They should have held onto Jake E. Lee. My friend Frank said the Randy was completely annoyed by Ozzy on-stage. This was the Blizzard tour in Tampa. As Ozzy was doing his schtick, Randy would be rolling his eyes, shaking his head... According to Frank, Randy looked like he'd rather be anywhere than where he was. My cousin Bobby said the same about the Cleveland show that he attended.
Definitely, if you watch the few bootlegs there are ( I think it is Cleveland ) , Ozzy is in Randy's face all the time and the famous pick him up by the leg thing happens a few times but other times Randy mid solo totally avoids Ozzy or steps away from him. Probably tired of the shit on and off stage. He just wanted to play his gigs, chain smoke, and write music most likely. Must have been tough not knowing which Ozzy you are waking up to. Drunks are fun during a party but outside of it, they get old very fast.

Exactly! Randy didnt even like doing Paranoid every show. He was completely against the Sabbath cover album. I read Rudys book years ago so I forget how it went down that Randy was actually going to record SOTD, either he was talked into it or it was a contractual thing. I ran into Kelli Rhoads back in the 90's and he had said Randy was hating the whole situation. He said Randy did want to pursue his classical studies but he just really wanted out of the Oz thing.
I always fast forward iron man on tribute album. Must have been a drag playing that. The only one I think he really liked was children of the grave because his playing is always so aggressive on that one. Don't blame him for not wanting to play war pigs and fairies where boots etc ..snowblind. A lot of those tunes just dragged.

According to articles ozzy was a mess and some other people they begged to play guitar before Randy declined because if that. He did punch randy in the head but I still can't imagine they weren't friends to some extent. You can see in some pictures that they clearly were.

Living in a bus or a plane or whatever they had with the same people definitely gets old and band members fight.

While Randy probably hated some aspects of it he also loved it. You could see it when he played.

TBH all this Randy talk has had me listening to a lot of it recently. When I get my amps in (one is due today) I may force myself to learn some of it besides just a riff or two. Really dig in, especially his lead work, as I am not much of a lead player I think it would be pretty cool

I think Sharon is very much the female version of her father, Don Arden, when it comes to her management style. Arden was from the mafioso intimidation and bullying style of entertainment management where he’d threaten people with physical violence and scare the hell out of them to get what he wanted. Peter Grant (Led Zepplin) was the same way. Whereas Arden and Grant were physically big dudes and could stand over men and threaten them, Sharon couldn't use that imitation tactic as a small woman. So she made up for it by being more evil than them. She’s a true cut-throat.

She was both the best thing to happen to Ozzy, and the worst thing to happen to him. She's probably part of the reason he lived through the 80s, but his (and his band's) music was better without her. To me, his best stuff is when his band was writing the tunes, lyrics, etc. She's 100% about the business, not the art. Cutting Jake out of his royalties, then re-recording bass and drum tracks on entire albums to cut out others, bringing in song writers. I'm sure their net worth is largely to her credit, but as far as the music it seems like there was a gradual decline as her control increased. I haven't had much of a taste for what he's done since No Rest for the Wicked and No More Tears. A lot of both Zakk's and Jake' s work since then has been more interesting than what Ozzy's done in the same time.

I always fast forward iron man on tribute album. Must have been a drag playing that. The only one I think he really liked was children of the grave because his playing is always so aggressive on that one. Don't blame him for not wanting to play war pigs and fairies where boots etc ..snowblind. A lot of those tunes just dragged.
I believe I remember hearing Randy himself in an interview say that if he wasn't into a song or if he want quite sure of the approach he should take that he’d just play the craziest off the wall stuff he could. He does that in Iron Man. That solo makes no melodic sense at all. But then on Children of the Grave he rips a badass melodic and memorable solo.

I believe I remember hearing Randy himself in an interview say that if he wasn't into a song or if he want quite sure of the approach he should take that he’d just play the craziest off the wall stuff he could. He does that in Iron Man. That solo makes no melodic sense at all. But then on Children of the Grave he rips a badass melodic and memorable solo.
Makes sense.

I wouldn't want to have played any Sabbath tunes if I were him either.

Probably made the Iron Man solo suck on purpose.

It happens all the time. I've seen Prophets of Rage play Rage songs and I'm sure one of Phil's projects has played Pantera songs. At that point you're doing covers and that isn't really fair to the rest of the band.

I also know Ozzy takes major part in getting the songwriting credits but I dont think he plays any instruments so I am really unsure of how much writing he actually did. Maybe arrangements, obviously vocals and lyrics but what did he do hum guitar licks to Randy? Doubt it.

My assumption is this: I think Ozzy was an Arden project from the start. I think Don Arden told Sharon to track-down Ozzy, for the specific purpose of forming a solo band that he/they could capitalize on. The "estranged from my dad" story was bullshit. Don Arden knew Ozzy would get snatched-up by another label, it was just a matter of time. By hook or by crook, he wanted Ozzy signed to Jet Records.

My assumption is this: I think Ozzy was an Arden project from the start. I think Don Arden told Sharon to track-down Ozzy, for the specific purpose of forming a solo band that he could capitalize on. The "estranged from my dad" story was bullshit. Don Arden knew Ozzy would get snatched-up by another label, it was just a matter of time. He wanted Ozzy signed to Jet Records.
Imagine hoeing out your own daughter.

Back