Details of Randy Rhoads death.

I didn't learn of Tony Franklin until the short lived Firm.
Saw them back in Boston and he was great.

Love Sykes and the way he uses bursts of speed rather
than just playing fast. I was serious about the SOTN solo.

Read in an interview where he said he'd be mad at himself for falling back on tapping
sections during longer solos.

He wanted to avoid it but it was pretty much mandatory for that time period.
By all accounts, Randy vs Ed was an intense rivalry. I was listening to a solo by Randy from a live QR recording, which was really quite bad. Someone should have advised Randy to avoid incorporating "tapping" into his routine, at least until he had time to perfect it to fit his style of play. Randy had clearly achieved this, as his lead solo in FHA is truly iconic. There's not a single Ozzy/Randy song that I cannot listen to, except for Crazy Train. Great riff, but the tone is too notched in the upper-mids for my ears. What's really sad is that Randy never got the chance to share the stage with his influences. That's the one thing that most all players dream of doing. Ritchie Blackmore, Luther Grosvenor, Michael Schenker, Edward Van Halen, Mick Ronson... Very sad.

Last edited:
I saw VH in 1981. Ed played the guitar like a set of drums, which is very "Motown". Randy was a more structured player, more traditional. Under Bob Daisley's tutelage, Randy was able to successfully compartmentalize and abbreviate his playing/writing skills. The level of improvement over what we hear on those old CBS/SONY QR records is really quite amazing. Although Randy admired Ed to a high degree, their playing could not be more different. Two completely different schools of thought and approach. Playing came naturally to Ed vs Randy who was an educated talent. Ed was a "soul surfer" on guitar, no question about it. His authenticity was unparalleled, as was his ear for tone. He competed against no one, as there was no one like him, and he knew it.

I think it might of been you who pointed this out before and I agree.. the QR stuff is pretty crappy except for Randy's riffs that stand out. It is clear that Randy had heard enough VH either on his own or through his students wanting to learn it. Steal away the night is totally inspired by VH On Fire riff... just it's own beast and a monster intro. But yeah, totally different players. Even the way Randy chose to tap and his sequences.

By all accounts, Randy vs Ed was an intense rivalry. I was listening to a solo by Randy from a live QR recording, which was really quite bad. Someone should have advised Randy to avoid incorporating "tapping" into his routine, at least until he had time to perfect it to fit his style of play. Randy had clearly achieved this, as his lead solo in FHA is truly iconic. There's not a single Ozzy/Randy song that I cannot listen to, except for Crazy Train. Great riff, but the tone is too notched in the upper-mids for my ears. What's really sad is that Randy never got the chance to share the stage with his influences. That's the one thing that most all players dream of doing. Ritchie Blackmore, Luther Grosvenor, Michael Schenker, Edward Van Halen, Mick Ronson... Very sad.
I wish Schenker hadn't been so far up his own ass and just taken the Ozzy gig for a tour. I would have loved to hear what he could have done with it. I even tried emailing whoever runs his FB page a year ago and asked if he had time during lockdown to take 3-4 Ozzy songs and record them so we could hear how they might have sounded. Post them on youtube, fans would have eaten it up.

I wish Schenker hadn't been so far up his own ass and just taken the Ozzy gig for a tour. I would have loved to hear what he could have done with it. I even tried emailing whoever runs his FB page a year ago and asked if he had time during lockdown to take 3-4 Ozzy songs and record them so we could hear how they might have sounded. Post them on youtube, fans would have eaten it up.
By the time of Randy's passing, Michael Schenker was already an established guitar god with numerous landmark credits to his name. When I heard that Michael was auditioning for Aerosmith, I nearly fainted. I don't think it would have been a good fit, but who knows? It would have been interesting to hear what Michael would have done with such a practiced rhythm section. :unsure:

As much as loved Randy's playing, Michael Schenker is IMO the greatest rock guitarist ever. If I had to listen to only one album for the rest of my days, it would be UFO "Strangers In The Night".

By the time of Randy's passing, Michael Schenker was already an established guitar god with numerous landmark credits to his name. When I heard that Michael was auditioning for Aerosmith, I nearly fainted. I don't think it would have been a good fit, but who knows? It would have been interesting to hear what Michael would have done with such a practiced rhythm section. :unsure:

As much as loved Randy's playing, Michael Schenker is IMO the greatest rock guitarist ever. If I had to listen to only one album for the rest of my days, it would be UFO "Strangers In The Night".

I'm on board, I don't know what it is but he's magic. With Randy I hear the notes and the composition but with Schenker there is just something that only he can replicate. Uh Oh..... "hands"??!!

For Me No Heavy Petting has some hidden gems. His tone on there is raspy and thin (might have been the gorilla amp) and not gained out at all but so expressive. So good.

I love Micheal Schenker’s playing, but most of his songs don’t do much for me. Are there any songs he wrote as epic as Mister Crowley, Diary of a Madman, or Revelation Mother Earth? Or as bad ass as Over the Mountain, Believer, or Suicide Solution? We can debate the merits of Schenker vs Rhoads when it comes to lead playing, but when it comes to the quality of the music, Randy wins, no question. On this point I do have to acknowledge Daisley’s help because we all know how god awful the early Quiet Riot stuff is.

Also want to point out that Randy’s musical catalog consists of material produced over a 2 1/2 year period. We all know he died at 25. IMHO, you HAVE to take that into consideration, how much he accomplished in only two albums over 2 1/2 years.

We are constantly comparing Randy to other players (not complaining, it’s fun!), but we’re always comparing him to players with much larger catalogues of material and who outlived him by decades. I didn’t know squat at 25, and don’t know much more at 45. 25 is so, so young. Randy was only just getting started when he passed. So tragic.

Also want to point out that Randy’s musical catalog consists of material produced over a 2 1/2 year period. We all know he died at 25. IMHO, you HAVE to take that into consideration, how much he accomplished in only two albums over 2 1/2 years.

We are constantly comparing Randy to other players (not complaining, it’s fun!), but we’re always comparing him to players with much larger catalogues of material and who outlived him by decades. I didn’t know squat at 25, and don’t know much more at 45. 25 is so, so young. Randy was only just getting started when he passed. So tragic.
Randy's short career in music stands up against anything in modern rock guitar.
It's timeless & still delivers.

Michael, Randy and Edward were/are so unique, vs arguments are sort-of pointless. Diary, Mr. Crowley, Over The Mountain, etc... all excellent compositions. I loved Ed's playing, but I was not all that jazzed about the direction they took after the debut album. Great tone, always. Already an ardent fan of Michael Schenker, when Randy came onto the scene I was blown-away! I first heard him playing on a live simulcast. I don't listen to Randy much these days, while Michael Schenker music remains in weekly rotation; as it has since 1978. I love that he doesn't drown his guitar tone in effects. Edward used effects wisely, IMO. Excessive chorusing makes me sea sick. :sick:

On this point I do have to acknowledge Daisley’s help because we all know how god awful the early Quiet Riot stuff is.
I think the QR stuff was sort of meant to be "awful". But actually, I love the QR stuff with Randy. Eye for an eye, Inside you, Picking up the pieces, alot of fun songs imo.

I always mention this in these types of discussions about a bit of hindsight. Those guys were playing back in the late 70s and early 80s. Their songs have been played a billion times on the radio and tons of players have been able to study their playing, choose from a myriad of amps and pedals, etc, and it is a different world. "Eruption", "Crazy Train", etc back then just sounded phenomenal and was fresh and new.

I think the QR stuff was sort of meant to be "awful".
If by that you meant that QR was glam, and glam kinda sucks, then you maybe have a point. But I know that Randy really was trying on those albums. He took one home for his mother to listen to (he greatly valued her musical opinion), and she was brutally honest with him. As she was listening to it, she tuned to Randy and said, “Randy, this just isn’t very good.” He went into the next room and cried. That’s the story is brother tells. It was a different story when he brought home Blizzard of Ozz. She said to him, “Randy, now this is more like it!”

Back