Details of Randy Rhoads death.

I also know Ozzy takes major part in getting the songwriting credits but I dont think he plays any instruments so I am really unsure of how much writing he actually did. Maybe arrangements, obviously vocals and lyrics but what did he do hum guitar licks to Randy? Doubt it.
Randy, Daisley, and Kerslake came up with the instrumental parts, the lion’s share going to Daisley and Rhoads. But Ozzy does have a knack (this is from Daisley, Rhoads, and Kerslake themselves) for coming up with very good vocal melodies over the top of the music. You can do a little digging and find some demos of them working the songs with Ozzy singing nonsense stuff lyric-wise but the early forms of the vocal melodies are there. Ozzy’s songwriting claims are overblown by his own descriptions, but he didn’t bring nothing (double negative intentional) to the table when they were writing those songs on those first two albums. It really was a band effort in the beginning of the solo Ozzy band. Those four guys created lighting in a bottle. Twice.

Last edited:
Imagine hoeing out your own daughter.
Arden’s son (think his name was David) was managing the BOO in the beginning but had to leave when his wife had a baby. I think the baby was premature, which was the urgent need for David to back out and Sharon to step in.

You guys really need to get Daisley’s book.

IMG_3090.jpg

Ozzy has been auto-tuned for 45+ years. He never could "sing" just moans & whines.
Iommi said the only reason Oz got the gig with Sabbath in the Birmingham days is because he was the only one w/a small vocal PA.

IMG_3090.jpg

Ozzy has been auto-tuned for 45+ years. He never could "sing" just moans & whines.
Iommi said the only reason Oz got the gig with Sabbath in the Birmingham days is because he was the only one w/a small vocal PA.
Man, I’m gonna push back a little. He definitely struggled live (booze and alcohol were major factors) and he wasn't a naturally gifted singer like Dio, but he has a very unique sound and sang his ass off on some of the late Sabbath stuff (see Hole in the Sky) and early solo stuff.

Man, I’m gonna push back a little. He definitely struggled live (booze and alcohol were major factors) and he wasn't a naturally gifted singer like Dio, but he has a very unique sound and sang his ass off on some of the late Sabbath stuff (see Hole in the Sky) and early solo stuff.
Well yes & no. The studio Oz is okay but live is a different animal.
I will say he put in many hours sweating his ass off @ Oz fests across the country in past summers.
His last great live era was Budokan 2002 IMO.
No so great after that.
Mike Bordin mercilessly beating da fuck outta the drums.
https://ok.ru/video/371044649519

Well yes & no. The studio Oz is okay but live is a different animal.
I will say he put in many hours sweating his ass off @ Oz fests across the country in past summers.
His last great live era was Budokan 2002 IMO.
No so great after that.
Mike Bordin mercilessly beating da fuck outta the drums.
https://ok.ru/video/371044649519
I hear you. You’re definitely not wrong. Here’s a young Ozzy singing his ass off, imho:

IMG_3090.jpg

I don't know... The B side of Flying High Again is the same version of I Don't Know that's on the Tribute album, but with the original live vocal track. IMO, his vocals are good enough to where they should have just left it alone. All of the vocals on Tribute were re-recorded in the studio.

Like David Lee Roth, Ozzy writes what is the most crucial part of any pop song...the melody. Bob Daisley wrote the bulk of lyrics, but the melodies are all Ozzy. I was on a metal gear forum some years back, and I was astounded all the negative comments regarding DLR. After attempting to shine a light, the collective response was (of course) a resounding "FY!"

Like David Lee Roth, Ozzy writes what is the most crucial part of any pop song...the melody. Bob Daisley wrote the bulk of lyrics, but the melodies are all Ozzy. I was on a metal gear forum some years back, and I was astounded all the negative comments regarding DLR. After attempting to shine a light, the collective response was (of course) a resounding "FY!"
If it makes you feel any better, you are not alone.
I mentioned a band of kids that's on the radio and .....I feel your pain.
One guy..you can feel his teeth fretting and his envy cascade over the cellphone ..oozing...
Maybe the Gear Page is a better fit for him and thiat song was.hindsight??
Ah f-it, we might as well JUMP!

I

I think DLR was a genius. Amazing lyrics, great stage charisma ( even if it were ripped off) and his singing style and tone. Just perfect...for VH , not all bands.

On most of the bootlegs on YouTube from the Randy years, Ozzy is pretty lousy but there are some shows where he does a great job. I agree that he had a unique tone and I do think that he can be credited with humming how some of the choruses went and some of them are pretty memorable so he does have some talent for sure. Without the support cast though, none of that would ha e been shaped into anything.

If I had to pick the best show ever, it would have to be Black Sabbath's "Heaven And Hell" tour. DLR's "Eat 'Em And Smile" tour was spectacular. Kansas "Leftoverture" tour was incredibly entertaining. The two shows that I very much regret not attending was Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Street Survivors" tour and Ozzy Osbourne's "Blizzard Of Ozz" tour. Ironically, I skipped Skynyrd because word was that they were going to play the T-Bowl later that year. One show later their plane went down in McComb. I skipped the Ozzy "Blizzard" tour because I knew they would end-up playing the T-Bowl... :bash:

DLR "Eat 'em and Smile" was incredible. I actually caught one of Vai's picks at that show. Kept up with it for a decade or two. I should have framed it or something.

I saw VH in 1981. Ed played the guitar like a set of drums, which is very "Motown". Randy was a more structured player, more traditional. Under Bob Daisley's tutelage, Randy was able to successfully compartmentalize and abbreviate his playing/writing skills. The level of improvement over what we hear on those old CBS/SONY QR records is really quite amazing. Although Randy admired Ed to a high degree, their playing could not be more different. Two completely different schools of thought and approach. Playing came naturally to Ed vs Randy who was an educated talent. Ed was a "soul surfer" on guitar, no question about it. His authenticity was unparalleled, as was his ear for tone. He competed against no one, as there was no one like him, and he knew it.

Last edited:
Wow I did not know that. Hmm. That lessens the magic of the album just a tad bit.

It's Friday too and you had to go ruin it didn't ya! lol
That's why I mentioned that Ozzy's live vocal performances. Love him or not, his vocal style is as original as it gets.

Although Randy admired Ed to a high degree, their playing could not be more different.

Read in an interview where he said he'd be mad at himself for falling back on tapping
sections during longer solos.

He wanted to avoid it but it was pretty much mandatory for that time period.

Back