• Zoroastrianist

• Buddhist

• Agnostic

• Gnostic

• Something else

• ... atheist

Results are only viewable after voting.
Some tidbits for you guys to chew on:

The soul and indeed consciousness (take your pick) have no size, no mass and therefore no absolute position in space (and IMHO in time as well 'cause the latter's reliant on the other factors' being known quantities).

The implications of this are manyfold:
Science cannot detect either, only the effects thereof, like "seeing" the wind.
Time cannot age them.
Even a nuclear explosion cannot destroy them.

I saw the redshift argument raised. The Christian answer is that the Bible states many times that God "stretched out the heavens". Besides that, there are blue shifts out there as well but they're seldom-mentioned for obvious reasons.

Similarly, even in our solar system, there are planets and orbits that spin in opposite directions. Not to mention moons they're still cooling down. Just how many billions of years do you think it should take for moons to cool down in a -270ºC environment?

On that subject of billions of years, there are so many limiting factors that nullify the argument it's not funny. Cool examples might be:
The earth's spin is slowing by roughly 1.5ms a day. How fast was it spinning a billion years ago and how did anything survive?
The sun's shrunk by (IIRC) 1% in the last 100 years according to the London observatory. How long d'ya think it could do that for?
It burns 5 million tonnes of nuclear hydrogen a second. How long d'ya think it could do that for? Supposed to be 4.5 billion years old.
The moon moves away from earth by an inch and a half every year. How long d'ya think it could do that for and how close would it have been a billion years ago?

That's just some of the cosmic shit. How about closer-to-home examples?
The oceans, just like landlocked lakes in some regions depending upon surrounding-rock mineralogy, get saltier (and higher - see next point) every day because only distilled water leaves whilst countless tonnes of minerals are washed in every day. Every river starts out as a 0TDS stream and dissolves minerals as it travels towards the sea (or a lake), typically reaching 3-400PPM mineral content by that time. Add up all the rivers spewing into the ocean and then ask yourself how long would it have been before the oceans ended up like the Dead Sea with 10x the current salt level?

I said "see next point" for ocean levels.
Every time it rains, land is washed into the ocean. Every river that flows thereinto is carrying land into it 24/7/365.
The land worldwide is effectively "going down", not up - landslides, sink holes, earthquakes and the aforementioned rivers are all dragging it down and ultimately into the ocean. Tectonic theory is one thing, but nothing beats facts on-the-ground IMHO. Volcanoes, which are few-and-far-between, AFAIA are the only significant land "up-builders", and no way can they counter the millions of tonnes of earth washed into the oceans every day.

Point being, blaming global warming for ocean rises fails to take this into account. Extrapolating to the billions of years of age the earth supposedly is, well...

Genetic integrity is waning. Always has. Every mutation (not variation - I'll cover that) is detrimental to the ideal model and usually health. Seems to me there's a time limit there and that everything had to be "perfect" to begin with. The ol' "making Eve with Adam's rib", questioned here earlier, has purpose in this regard. With perfect, undamaged genes, you can procreate risk-free with a copy of yourself / your sister / whomever. Not possible today 'cause of said deterioration.

I said I'd cover variation:
It's been said here that bacteria and viruses are evolving to become resistant to this or that.
Wrong. Ask any selective breeder of anything - we're effectively weeding out the weak for any given environment and breeding for those characteristics. This is exploiting natural variation, nothing more... and what about that variation? Isn't that evolution or at least the critical ingredient? No:

Here's what we see variation-wise:
Longer or shorter bones, limbs, fins, claws, beaks and so on.
Colour variation, be it hair, skin, scales or feathers.
Thicker or thinner hair, claws, beaks, nails and so on.
Constitutional variation - vigour, longevity, fertility and disease resistance basically.

Play with those factors all you want and you'll never turn one animal into another. Not biophysically possible.

Anywho, I could go on for weeks so I'll stop there. Not gonna argue about this stuff. Just wanted to inject some fresh meat for you guys to mull over if you so choose.

In retrospective, getting to page 40 since last Thursday seems like a lot but there were some great discussions in this thread once people overcame the shock.

This has turned into a good conversation/debate ...
Agreed guys.

This is why I figured I'd contribute something.

Some tidbits for you guys to chew on:

The soul and indeed consciousness (take your pick) have no size, no mass and therefore no absolute position in space (and IMHO in time as well 'cause the latter's reliant on the other factors' being known quantities).

The implications of this are manyfold:
Science cannot detect either, only the effects thereof, like "seeing" the wind.
Time cannot age them.
Even a nuclear explosion cannot destroy them.

I saw the redshift argument raised. The Christian answer is that the Bible states many times that God "stretched out the heavens". Besides that, there are blue shifts out there as well but they're seldom-mentioned for obvious reasons.

Similarly, even in our solar system, there are planets and orbits that spin in opposite directions. Not to mention moons they're still cooling down. Just how many billions of years do you think it should take for moons to cool down in a -270ºC environment?

On that subject of billions of years, there are so many limiting factors that nullify the argument it's not funny. Cool examples might be:
The earth's spin is slowing by roughly 1.5ms a day. How fast was it spinning a billion years ago and how did anything survive?
The sun's shrunk by (IIRC) 1% in the last 100 years according to the London observatory. How long d'ya think it could do that for?
It burns 5 million tonnes of nuclear hydrogen a second. How long d'ya think it could do that for? Supposed to be 4.5 billion years old.
The moon moves away from earth by an inch and a half every year. How long d'ya think it could do that for and how close would it have been a billion years ago?

That's just some of the cosmic shit. How about closer-to-home examples?
The oceans, just like landlocked lakes in some regions depending upon surrounding-rock mineralogy, get saltier (and higher - see next point) every day because only distilled water leaves whilst countless tonnes of minerals are washed in every day. Every river starts out as a 0TDS stream and dissolves minerals as it travels towards the sea (or a lake), typically reaching 3-400PPM mineral content by that time. Add up all the rivers spewing into the ocean and then ask yourself how long would it have been before the oceans ended up like the Dead Sea with 10x the current salt level?

I said "see next point" for ocean levels.
Every time it rains, land is washed into the ocean. Every river that flows thereinto is carrying land into it 24/7/365.
The land worldwide is effectively "going down", not up - landslides, sink holes, earthquakes and the aforementioned rivers are all dragging it down and ultimately into the ocean. Tectonic theory is one thing, but nothing beats facts on-the-ground IMHO. Volcanoes, which are few-and-far-between, AFAIA are the only significant land "up-builders", and no way can they counter the millions of tonnes of earth washed into the oceans every day.

Point being, blaming global warming for ocean rises fails to take this into account. Extrapolating to the billions of years of age the earth supposedly is, well...

Genetic integrity is waning. Always has. Every mutation (not variation - I'll cover that) is detrimental to the ideal model and usually health. Seems to me there's a time limit there and that everything had to be "perfect" to begin with. The ol' "making Eve with Adam's rib", questioned here earlier, has purpose in this regard. With perfect, undamaged genes, you can procreate risk-free with a copy of yourself / your sister / whomever. Not possible today 'cause of said deterioration.

I said I'd cover variation:
It's been said here that bacteria and viruses are evolving to become resistant to this or that.
Wrong. Ask any selective breeder of anything - we're effectively weeding out the weak for any given environment and breeding for those characteristics. This is exploiting natural variation, nothing more... and what about that variation? Isn't that evolution or at least the critical ingredient? No:

Here's what we see variation-wise:
Longer or shorter bones, limbs, fins, claws, beaks and so on.
Colour variation, be it hair, skin, scales or feathers.
Thicker or thinner hair, claws, beaks, nails and so on.
Constitutional variation - vigour, longevity, fertility and disease resistance basically.

Play with those factors all you want and you'll never turn one animal into another. Not biophysically possible.

Anywho, I could go on for weeks so I'll stop there. Not gonna argue about this stuff. Just wanted to inject some fresh meat for you guys to mull over if you so choose.

Agreed guys.

This is why I figured I'd contribute something.
Some interesting stuff there. A lot to unpack. Thanks. :cheers:

That Escalated Quickly - Will Ferrel.jpg

10/10. Can’t argue with anything but I want to especially congratulate for the idea that we place “ourselves” in a specific space due to eyes locating us there but the consciousness being “in our heads” at that position at that time might be an illusion.
Very nice!
Thanks brother!

My theory on why we place our consciousness there has always been because that's the central / most-active point data-wise that sensory input enters.

Sight, taste, smell and hearing are literally experienced there due to the transducers' locations.

That's interesting bro'.

I like that it's monotheistic and focusses on the good-vs-evil struggle with the view that good will ultimately prevail.

I love MLK's quote:
"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice."

Reactions: adi
Happens to the best of us mate.

You probably joined in a hurry to pose a question whist doing some gear research and happened to find the answer you were looking for somewhere else before you got a chance to ask here.

Happens to the best of us mate.

You probably joined in a hurry to pose a question whist doing some gear research and happened to find the answer you were looking for somewhere else before you got a chance to ask here.
ya probably or i may have found the answer here through the search function :) or maybe it was the lockdown syndrome lol

Back