101B does the 80s!

On a technical note, these amps use an audio taper treble pot vs the standard linear. As a result, the treble at 3:00 is like the treble at 12:00 on most amps. Lots a great tones to be had goosing the treble

On a technical note, these amps use an audio taper treble pot vs the standard linear. As a result, the treble at 3:00 is like the treble at 12:00 on most amps. Lots a great tones to be had goosing the treble

Absolutely! Definitely not an amp to eq with eyes, but I love amps like this. If forces you to use your gut and learn what works and what doesn’t. The mid knob is of course phenomenal too and all kinds of killer interactions between it and the treb as well as presence knob can be found depending on your tastes. It is wildly flexible for sure.

Those clips sound incredible, nicely done man. (y)
My buddy has a 20th Ecstasy, and he’s got a few guitars with old Bill Lawrence pickups in them, and that amp absolutely loves them. They’re fairly scooped, with a very aggressive high end sizzle, and bring a really gnarly character to the mix. You should check one out as much as you dig aggressive highs. The newer Bill and Becky ones are the ones to get, not “Bill Lawrence USA.”

After showing what this amp could do ( that many, including myself thought it couldn’t) i thought I’d do something alittle more familiar sounding.

PRS custom 24
101B blue channel
Marshall 1960Bv
Unidyne sm57/TUL G12 mix
BAE 1073 pre’s
Maxon 808

Enjoy!

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/CHNJYC6n5QH8AdpN8

Edit:

Better high end less mud:

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/gPpSsizRKPdB8N7PA

One more alt EQ:

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/1AHq24rm9AE78Fks9

May i know if ya put a pedal infront? Sound killer !!

Holy shit yes. Man, I need to move my XTC 3534 and just get the real deal lol. What speakers in that cab?

Thanks dude! Honestly I haven’t played the 3534, but I’d be surprised if you can’t cope similar tones out of it similar to this. But I’m sure the Bogner freaks that have compared the small head to the 101B would be better to ask than me. A big part of this sound though is of course the signal chain, where the sum
Of the whole gets you this end product: but still, you need the amp and cab first and foremost before anything else. I think people get discouraged when they see someone get a killer tone with similar gear because they feel they can’t do similar, but I promise you I bet the 3534 can. It won’t be the same, but if I ran the 3534 through this exact signal chain, it would be close.

Speakers are stock Marshall celestion vintages that come in the BV/AV cabs.

No way dude! The 3534 can cop that tone with ease!
I dunno man. Maybe I haven't played with the controls enough? I've had it for close to a year now, and I haven't been able to get anywhere tight and crisp like that - it's always been a 'chewy' sort of amp, but oddly enough not nearly as much as a 101b. I bet it's because I don't use boost pedals with it....

I dunno man. Maybe I haven't played with the controls enough? I've had it for close to a year now, and I haven't been able to get anywhere tight and crisp like that - it's always been a 'chewy' sort of amp, but oddly enough not nearly as much as a 101b. I bet it's because I don't use boost pedals with it....
Definitely need to be boost it to get into this vibe. But still, the blue channel with great playing is pretty tight. Not overly to do thrash or something, but in its own it’s more than great. Also not sure if you mic up your amps often or not, but that’s a big part of it too: knowing what to listen for. Also knowing how to EQ. There IS post EQ on this, but not much. Knowing where problems are often on guitars is a key too. Like I know I’m generally always going to do a cut with a Q Of 1.0 or so around 3-500 hz. If it’s still too tubby, I know a low shelf of about -1db around 250z is going to clean it up big time. I know that a high shelf somewhere between 8–16k is going to bring out some sparkle I like to hear. So those things matter too, if you know where problems are inherently on electric guitars, you can do big things with small gentle cuts and boosts.

Last edited:
T
Try an EQ in the loop, it works really really well with 3534. I never run it without one!

I have the presence and treble around 2:30-3 on mine, gain around noon with the factory boost and it’s pretty crispy on the blue channel. I use H75 Creambacks.

That tone is really crisp and articulate! I like it quite a bit . I will have to try and get my late 90's 101b to pull that off by cranking up the treble a bit and trying the 808 boost. Nicely done indeed!

This sounds great . I was sold on this when I heard Bad Horsie by Vai . He said he plugged straight in to this amp . It’s crushing . You record it very good as well

Back