What I get asked the most: How heavy can the XTC get?

Serious question; list of modern metal albums in which the 101B is the main tone?

Cant. Atleast I can actually admit that. I agree with the above, just not nearly as good as the recto for these tones, but it can get heavy. I certainly am not saying it’s the greatest high gain amp of all time and get mad when people question that ridiculous statement and when asked what albums it’s actually been used on, however :)

I remember my old band playing with cattle decapitation years ago and the dude had an uber in a rack with another amp, that’s really the only bogner i remember ever seeing in the wild

Great tone, super tight and clear.

I picked up an Ecstasy 101b not too long ago. Incredible amp. I was also surprised to find out that modern high gain aggressive tones aren't really a stretch for it either. You'd think you would have to take the amp to the ragged edge of its dials to get those kinds of sounds, but... you really don't. Throw a good boost in front of it that trims the low end back just a bit, juice the input, actually use your ears when you're dialing in the tone stack and you're pretty much there.

Not sure why these amps weren't more popular in metal.

Last edited:
Not sure why these amps weren't more popular in metal.

Price. In the early 2000s (since we're talking 'modern' metal) an Ecstasy was $3600 or so. A 5150/6505 started at $749. You could buy a new Dual Rectifier for $1200. The young guys doing the work and making music that became popular just weren't in a position to spend a huge amount of money when you could get a killer tone for much less.

Ehhh maybe as far as price. I don’t buy it. I know of two prominent studios in the mid 2000s that were largely responsible for “that sound”, and both had xtc’s…. They were used on tons of albums I can recall for leads. They were available and in these studios, the sound was just the 5150 and at the time nothing was going to top that because it was so new and fresh at the time… ha, the 5150 new and fresh… those were the days.

Ehhh maybe as far as price. I don’t buy it. I know of two prominent studios in the mid 2000s that were largely responsible for “that sound”, and both had xtc’s…. They were used on tons of albums I can recall for leads. They were available and in these studios, the sound was just the 5150 and at the time nothing was going to top that because it was so new and fresh at the time… ha, the 5150 new and fresh… those were the days.

What folks see on stage ends up being the gear that people remember and that’s more my point.

Very true. A lot of bands were also using the Uber live as a good blending amp in conjunction with a Marshall.

I remember seeing iced earth in 2004, Schaeffer was using an Uberschall and a DSL 100 in stereo, sounded incredible. I learned recently he was using the DSL as a power amp at the time for a Larry preamp, but regardless. Incredible tone.

I remember seeing iced earth in 2004, Schaeffer was using an Uberschall and a DSL 100 in stereo, sounded incredible. I learned recently he was using the DSL as a power amp at the time for a Larry preamp, but regardless. Incredible tone.
Yes, sort of. The Uber/DSL combo was used because all his Larry Dinos got completely waterlogged in a basement flood. It took a year or two for them to dry out, insurance details to get sorted and finally get serviced by the builder. The Larry preamp/DSL power amp combo was much later and used mainly to cut down on backline shipping costs. I actually had one of those preamps. It was excellent, leagues ahead of any Mesa or comparable preamp.

Donegan from Disturbed uses one its in some of his studio pics and some vids but I think He mixes its with something else like a recto or Egnater ?

I know I'm in the minority, but I preferred that over both the recto clips 🤷‍♂️ Although out of all of them I liked the Morin Marshall the best! I've always had a hunch that a modded XTC might be my dream amp, but sadly will probably never find out. Seems like modding them is sacrilegious or something though, you never hear much about that really? Cheers

Back