$163 each for nosebleed tickets to see Bonamassa, really ?

I’ve seen him twice, and they were decent shows, but I’m not that into his blues tunes. The second show I was bored at times. I got into him via Black Country Communion, and I prefer his work there with standout rockers. If they played live again I would pay it. Not interested in seeing him solo again.
This is how I feel myself .

Joe B. should be teaching a college course on how to get rich. Well, he's actually doing it instead of teaching, which is even better. But think about his business model. He has zero airplay and zero album sales, and he grew up after MTV's heyday. But he can pack every venue by selling pretty expensive tix. There's gotta be a business course in there somewhere. Hell, my dad is a huge fan of his and I don't get it. My folks can afford any tix and my mom took my dad to see Joe B. I think a lot of the audience were people like my folks who can easily afford those tix and feel somewhat young and hip again by going. I sometimes wonder if my dad picked Joe B. to try to show me that he "gets" guitar music. I send him live videos of Eric Johnson and it might as well be Billie Eilish. He doesn't get it at all. I'm not a fan of Joe's music, but the man can play circles around most of us, he certainly has a better gear collection than anyone here and he's a nice guy. I've talked with him a few times. Totally down to Earth guy.
^This kind of sums it up for me. See Brian Setzer for an earlier version of a similar thing. I saw JB open for Peter Frampton when it was his original 3-piece lineup. For like $30. Then years later I paid $100 to see his big band act. The earlier show was much better imo.

I have no problem with the price. Get that money Joe, all you can.

Honestly. No jokes. No idea who he is. Might heard a tune on the radio?

like i said in my first post i had no idea who he was till my totally non musical coworkers were going to see him, i thought how could my life revolve around music and i havent even heard of him?.. then i googled him and seen his museum of gear and im like OK there must be a huge song ill know once i play it but no, just lots of elevator blues. his fanbase kind of reminds me of a lot of old Corvette owners if you know how they are

He's an awesome player but not 300+ awesome. That's money you pay to see an entire band that plays a ton of great songs. He does have a ton of gear though, expensive tastes. Not sure what the point is when you can't play all of it. I barely touch the stuff I have now and I have 1/50th of what he has.

like i said in my first post i had no idea who he was till my totally non musical coworkers were going to see him, i thought how could my life revolve around music and i havent even heard of him?.. then i googled him and seen his museum of gear and im like OK there must be a huge song ill know once i play it but no, just lots of elevator blues. his fanbase kind of reminds me of a lot of old Corvette owners if you know how they are
He's never been an artist that got airplay or released hits or anything. He built his following by just delivering good shows, a ton of them. I went to see him having only bought one of his records (I still haven't bought any others) but that record came with a bonus DVD of a live show in Ft Wayne Indiana. That's the only thing I listened to, I didn't like the CD. The one where he had strippers dancing on stage (not stripping tho).

This show was what got me interested in JB (song is just OK but there's a ton of killer playing thru his Marshall Jubilee:

And the version of Rice Pudding in the second half of this...out of tune but whatever:

Last edited:

Joe is convinced he was switched at birth w/a 80 yr old black man from the Mississippi Delta.
His Dad was a traveling guitar salesman years ago and helped young Joe get into music.
Rather than work his way up the ladder and get signed with a record label and win Grammys ect he went right for the live music which for long time now has been the only way the music industry makes money, live concerts.
Like i said i can appreciate his gear whoring stuff from one guy to another but not on the backs of regular folks who are getting pinched & squeezed for every nickel as prices on everything have skyrocketed.
A great gesture would have been to offer some sort of "bargain" ticket price for the shitty seats but Joe has chosen to do the opposite.
My wife & I saw comedian Jim Gaffigan recently for $180 for the both of us and we got some well needed laughter.
Joe wants to charge us $326 for the same seats to hear the echo's in the catacombs and i just don't see the payoff for us.
To be honest Joe's playing sounds like a bad Eric Johnson tribute act, not much originality.

Were saving our money for the Calhoun Tubbs farewell tour.

Last edited:

Joe is convinced he was switched at birth w/a 80 yr old black man from the Mississippi Delta.
His Dad was a traveling guitar salesman years ago and helped young Joe get into music.
Rather than work his way up the ladder and get signed with a record label and win Grammys ect he went right for the live music which for long time now has been the only way the music industry makes money, live concerts.
Like i said i can appreciate his gear whoring stuff from one guy to another but not on the backs of regular who are getting pinched & squeezed for every nickel as prices on everything have skyrocketed.
A great gesture would have been to offer some sort of "bargain" ticket price for the shitty seats but Joe has chosen to do the opposite.
My wife & I saw comedian Jim Gaffigan recently for $180 for the both of us and we got some well needed laughter.
Joe wants to charge us $326 to hear the echo's in the catacombs and i just don't see the payoff for us.
To be honest Joe's playing sounds like a bad Eric Johnson tribute act, not much originality.

You realize no one is forcing you to go to his show right ? LOL

The guy is living all of our dreams.......making money, killer player, touring the world playing 59 Les Pauls live on stage. Doing what he loves best and collecting vintage instruments. I fail to see why this guy gets so much hate other than people are jealous of him and think they can do better. Guy probably has a hot girlfriend too. His family seem like regular nice people. Guy toured with Danny Gatton when he was a kid. He worked hard to get where he is. Sounds like the American Dream for most of us here. I guess I do not get the animosity for him. I like some of his music but a lot of it does not grab me but he is still a killer player and singer. I respect and admire his success.

Gouging people for the all mighty buck is no "dream" of mine bud.
And i have had Japan Les Pauls that sound better than my Gibson's.
All depends on where your head is at.
Joe's traveling circus reminds me on the excess everything in the 1990's just before Flannel killed Rock forever.

Joe wants to charge us $326 for the same seats to hear the echo's in the catacombs and i just don't see the payoff for us.
Right but a comedian and a musical act with all the gear are about as different as it gets. Did you check the itemization of that $326 price? When I recently looked at prices to see STP I looked at the itemization and it pissed me off to the point of just not wanting to go. Venue fee, Ticket fee, this fee, that fee, ad nauseum.

I wouldn't pay a fraction to see him now but if the seats are full of fannies then he should charge what he can, that's just good business. And by the looks of his act he treats it like a business.

I realized way back with ZZ Top that bands have a choice and if after years of toiling they finally choose "making a good living"...I can't fault that. And so we had fuzzy guitars.

When i was young bands like Hendrix/Janis Joplin/Rush/Allman Bros were FREE.
And i can remember shows that featured 6 to 8 national acts for $10 or $15 buck tickets.
I would expect to pay $400 for an airline ticket to Hawaii but not to see Joe B downtown.
I predict Joe will fade to black like everything else and he will end up on Gibson's Board of Directors.

Thats not a bad price, per se.. He typically plays smaller venues when he comes to Florida, and tickets were always closer to $300. I personally like the guy, have several of his albums and DVD's. Can't deny his tone live, or his chops. But, it goes old quick. He doesn't really evolve over time, just recycled riffs, and everything sounds the same.

Yngwie-Malmsteen.png
g4w5XEG9fJLrMLrrSLkDi8.jpg

And i can remember shows that featured 6 to 8 national acts for $10 or $15 buck tickets.
I would expect to pay $400 for an airline ticket to Hawaii but not to see Joe B downtown.
I predict Joe will fade to black like everything else and he will end up on Gibson's Board of Directors.
When you were young, those bands used to earn a shit ton of cash from album sales too.

The dude is a total anomaly to me. I would not go see him. I think his music is atrocious.

But, and it’s a big BUT, the dude is a monster player. I just don’t like his contrived Joe cool sunglasses blues brothers thing he tries to do when that dude is the antithesis of cool, and a pretty heavy duty bozo. If he would shut his mouth and play only instrumental blues highlighting his massive guitar chops, that, I might be into. I have definitely seen footage of him cutting it seriously strict and it was no joke. The dude can PLAY!

I can actually sit and listen through a John Mayer song. Joe Bonamassa's riffs sound generic and boring and his voice isn't much to write home about. I wouldn't pay to see any of them live. If someone gave me free tickets I'd still politely decline to Bonamassa, maybe not John Mayer because he's really handsome.

It’s true, he attended Handsome Boy Modeling School. that’s where he cultivated his looks. In reality, he wasn’t handsome at all, but once he learned the secrets to handsome facial expressions, and then went further and developed his own, watch out, the dude fooled the whole world into believing he is handsome!! A truly masterful act of subterfuge by a master of deceit.

Especially with some of his patented looks like, “frozen crying face(when he solos),” and, “I see a puppy(when he meets female fans, confusing and tricking them into thinking his response is to their appearances and that he actually cares about his fans),” and last but not least, “over yonder.” He pretends he is looking into a too bright sun while trying to focus on something in the distance. These are all taught at Handsome Boy Modeling School but he took them to another level of bitchin. My hats off to you John Mayer, and to your conquests of Katy Perry at the height of her good looks, young Taylor Swift, Cameron Diaz, and Jessica Simpson just to name a few.

Yeah god forbid a guy try to make a living doing what he loves.

Who TF are you people?? From the sounds of it that was about the last time you actually went to a show.

Player hating always sounds bitter and lonely

Back