1982 JCM 800 2204 MOAB mod YouTube clip - RT member build

Those tones make the front of my pants tight :p
This might push you over the edge:

I'm super excited to riff through this amp. Redplated has been absolutely awesome thru the whole process, sharing progress notes and pics the whole way through. I appreciate the time he takes to tweak each amp to it's optimal sound/feel. They're all so different, and he really gets in there and does the fine tuning. Highly recommended. There's a 4010 available locally. Some DFW Rig Talker should snag it and send it off!!!!

Last edited:
Wow. Thatā€™s about the best comment I could ever ask for. Thanks so much. It means a lot. I put tons of time and effort into tweaking each amp individually as they are all different. Iā€™ve spent the past two days just playing, listening and adjusting it. I usually put more time into that than the actual labor.

The MV was just below 2. But I had the ā€œAtten-u-haterā€ on back set around 11 o clock. So not super loud in the room. Just enough to get the amp working.

I do pretty much only mod Marshalls. The results are so good with them, it's hard for me to stray away from them. And I know these amps like the back of my hand now. So that makes it fun.

Hereā€™s a photo of the Atten-u-hater.

B12ExTxl.jpg
That amp sounded cranked!

I'm super excited to riff through this amp. Redplated has been absolutely awesome thru the whole process, sharing progress notes and pics the whole way through. I appreciate the time he takes to tweak each amp to it's optimal sound/feel. They're all so different, and he really gets in there and does the fine tuning. Highly recommended. There's a 4010 available locally. Some DFW Rig Talker should snag it and send it off!!!!

Oh man.. when I first heard the video in the OP I thought of that custom amp you were selling a while back. I almost bought it. Listening again, this new one definitely sounds better but I still like your riffage and tone on the old one too. Let me know how they compare when you get it. I was just about to reply back that it reminded me of one @LPMojoGL had for sale and then saw your post that this one is yours :cool: Should have known it was yours.. I think this is finally your keeper

Oh man.. when I first heard the video in the OP I thought of that custom amp you were selling a while back. I almost bought it. Listening again, this new one definitely sounds better but I still like your riffage and tone on the old one too. Let me know how they compare when you get it. I was just about to reply back that it reminded me of one @LPMojoGL had for sale and then saw your post that this one is yours :cool: Should have known it was yours.. I think this is finally your keeper

Are you referring to the Vogel?

Was that the one in the video I posted of you playing? That amp sounded awesome.
Oh no, I didn't even see that! lol
That one was from a local amp builder, he replaced the circuit board with a handwired circuit and some modest mods. That was a good amp, especially for the price I sold it at.
I expect this new one to sound more modern, have tighter attack, way more gain, and basically slay for the heavier stuff. Destroy. Annihilate. :)
I'm not excited at all.

Last edited:

Dibs when you sell?

Wow. Thatā€™s about the best comment I could ever ask for. Thanks so much. It means a lot. I put tons of time and effort into tweaking each amp individually as they are all different. Iā€™ve spent the past two days just playing, listening and adjusting it. I usually put more time into that than the actual labor.

The MV was just below 2. But I had the ā€œAtten-u-haterā€ on back set around 11 o clock. So not super loud in the room. Just enough to get the amp working.

I do pretty much only mod Marshalls. The results are so good with them, it's hard for me to stray away from them. And I know these amps like the back of my hand now. So that makes it fun.

Hereā€™s a photo of the Atten-u-hater.

B12ExTxl.jpg
Sure does sound great! Is this what you do for a living or do you have another job? Do you have any info on your work?

I recently bought a Ceriatone 2204 so I could try my hand at some mods but if I can't dial in something I like I'll have to see what you can do for me. The amp sounds great as it is.. I just want something more like what you are doing.

Sure does sound great! Is this what you do for a living or do you have another job? Do you have any info on your work?

I recently bought a Ceriatone 2204 so I could try my hand at some mods but if I can't dial in something I like I'll have to see what you can do for me. The amp sounds great as it is.. I just want something more like what you are doing.

I have a day job. Unfortunately living in Southern California, the cost of living is extremely high and I couldn't survive on amp work alone. Although I really love doing it. It's definitely a passion for me.

I essentially started modding amps because I couldn't find an amp out there that sounded, felt and responded the way I wanted. It kind of built from there and got me to where I am. I've designed a fully ground up build, my Hellion amp. Supply chain issues have delayed it's production but it's getting close. In the meantime I've been coming up with new ideas for circuits and the MOAB is one of them. I also recently designed a 3 and 4 stage non-Jose circuit with an extra tube, loop, etc.. I used a 1980 JMP 2203 and I accomplished this with not one extra hole drilled in the chassis. It's kind of my take on the perfected 2203 circuit without straying too far away from the base tone everyone knows.

Coming up with new ideas is a challenge but extremely rewarding. I have a lot of things constantly going through my head that I want to try. To me it's all about thinking outside the box and trying new things.

Feel free to shoot me a PM and I can try and give you some advice on getting what you want out of that 2204. There are some simple and fairly non-evasive ways to mod them.

Just completed this killer 2204 for a Rig Talk member. Came out fantastic. I really like the results with the 50w circuit.

Super punchy mid gain settings in this clip. Itā€™ll get higher gain and more modern. This is just a good, percussive tone with lots of clarity and attack.

Holy shit! This sounds perfect!šŸ¤˜

Back