5153 blue channel changes. True or false?

Norton666

I had never heard this but I recently heard that the newer 100 watt heads (with the Fender F before the logo) have a redesigned blue channel. Similar to the 50 watt. I have owned 3 100 watters but none have had the F logo. I recently got a 50 watt head and the blue channel smokes compared to my 100 watt! Just curious if anyone can confirm/deny the changes on the newer 100 watt heads. Thanks!!

I just got a 2010 100w and I max my gain and I wish it had more :( I had a 50w and sold it not long after having it. Though it had more gain on the blue channel it also didn't sound as defined as the 100w. I couldn't turn the gain past 1:00 on the 50w or it got muddy and flubby

Wish there was a simple mod for the blue channel on the 100w. I love everything else about it

Norton666":2bh3orju said:
I had never heard this but I recently heard that the newer 100 watt heads (with the Fender F before the logo) have a redesigned blue channel. Similar to the 50 watt. I have owned 3 100 watters but none have had the F logo. I recently got a 50 watt head and the blue channel smokes compared to my 100 watt! Just curious if anyone can confirm/deny the changes on the newer 100 watt heads. Thanks!!
I'm 99% sure that all the standard 100w heads (pre and post "F" logo) do not have the increased gain on channel 2.

Actually, having less gain on channel 2 is what I like about the standard 100w. I usually stay on this channel and toggle between boosting and not boosting it. If I had the 100s with high gain on channel 2 than I wouldn't be able to switch to a lower channel 2 gain.

All the 100 heads are the same I been told other than the new limited edition 100s stealth head..it blue channel has the new changes and I have to say it's way better than the original 100 watt head

bmf5150":1f2iof2g said:
All the 100 heads are the same I been told other than the new limited edition 100s stealth head..it blue channel has the new changes and I have to say it's way better than the original 100 watt head
hopefully they put up a schematic on evhgear.com so i can copy that mod. lol

bmf5150":1mowwcbj said:
Is the 100S Blue channel the same as the 50 watt Blue channel?

f550maranello2":1t3bytzp said:
bmf5150":1t3bytzp said:
hopefully they put up a schematic on evhgear.com so i can copy that mod. lol
The "S" mod :LOL: :LOL:

The blue channel has always been a love/hate thing for me. When I listen to clips I have made with it, it sounds good. I just know it's not fun to play on. I wish it either had a touch more gain or a bit more compression. I mostly live on the red channel so I'm not too concerned though.

Why not just contact EVH gear and ask them? That's the only way you'll get a definitive answer. The guy at the local shop told me the newer ones have changes to the blue channel (and he didn't mean the stealth), and I've seen an ad for a used one somewhere where the poster said he had contacted EVH gear and confirmed it was one with the changes to the blue ch, but who knows, they could have been blowing smoke out of their asses.

SFW":2xd1iqyo said:
The blue channel has always been a love/hate thing for me. When I listen to clips I have made with it, it sounds good. I just know it's not fun to play on. I wish it either had a touch more gain or a bit more compression. I mostly live on the red channel so I'm not too concerned though.
I understand what you're saying, and I think the answer is that there isn't enough sustain. It's not fun to play sometimes for me when I want heavier rock tones, but channel 2 is good for semi-clean passages with the picking out of chords. However, it becomes much more fun to play for rock tones when a boost is added. You keep all the qualities but the sustain is increased. Also, channel 2 doesn't really need a boost for the sustain if the amp is cranked. I'm talking 11:00 and greater.

nevusofota":3oahmbk9 said:
SFW":3oahmbk9 said:
I understand what you're saying, and I think the answer is that there isn't enough sustain. It's not fun to play sometimes for me when I want heavier rock tones, but channel 2 is good for semi-clean passages with the picking out of chords. However, it becomes much more fun to play for rock tones when a boost is added. You keep all the qualities but the sustain is increased. Also, channel 2 doesn't really need a boost for the sustain if the amp is cranked. I'm talking 11:00 and greater.

+1 I boost it and it sounds killer. I boost it on booth the 50 and 100 watt, but since the 50 has more gain, I just run that gain at or below noon before boosting.

nevusofota":23p2y6dg said:

True, but when do you really get to crank it? If I pushed the volume to 11:00 at a show the soundman would come unglued. lol I actually only run my gain on channel two around 2:00. I use it more for plexi style tones. I also mainly use the blue channel when I want to heavily add effects like vibe or a leslie sound. This allows the lack of compression to help it still cut. On its own, I can't stand the blue channel. And it really boils down to feel. I don't like the way it feels. I've never played the 50, so I can't really comment on what it sounds or feels like.

SFW":31rv5qtx said:
nevusofota":31rv5qtx said:

True, but when do you really get to crank it? If I pushed the volume to 11:00 at a show the soundman would come unglued. lol I actually only run my gain on channel two around 2:00. I use it more for plexi style tones. I also mainly use the blue channel when I want to heavily add effects like vibe or a leslie sound. This allows the lack of compression to help it still cut. On its own, I can't stand the blue channel. And it really boils down to feel. I don't like the way it feels. I've never played the 50, so I can't really comment on what it sounds or feels like.
I totally agree about the volume, past 11:00 is crazy loud. Have you tried a tube screamer style boost on channel 2?

Philo Beddoe":2b9e6cr9 said:
bmf5150":2b9e6cr9 said:
Is the 100S Blue channel the same as the 50 watt Blue channel?

pretty much

nevusofota":yjorph44 said:
SFW":yjorph44 said:
nevusofota":yjorph44 said:

I totally agree about the volume, past 11:00 is crazy loud. Have you tried a tube screamer style boost on channel 2?

Yes I have used a boost with the blue channel. It does sound good. I just don't like tap dancing during a show. I run my rig via midi using the Mini amp gizmo. Maybe one of these days I'll spring for the effects gizmo and be able to assign the boost to that channel when I want it. Until then, the red channel will be my workhorse.

the newer ones dont have any more gain on ch2, but the newer models do have c23 removed and replaced with a jumper wire. that is suppose to make the amp more alive.

also if you want more gain on ch 2 its an easy mode. just clip one side of r26 and more gain. if you just clip one end you can always solder it back to factory. your gain will increase about 2/3rds.
mine is a 2014 100watt head and i did this gain mod its what the amp needs on ch2.
you can go one step further and replace r25 with 100k or piggyback a 220k to the original.

with r25 at 100k and r26 removed you will have the 50 watt blue ch on your 100 watt head.
on my 2014 model c23 was already removed at the factory and replaced with a jumper wire.

if you want your ch1 cleaner replace r55 with a 10k resistor. your ch1 will be super clean up to a little over half.
give either a try you will like.
for those who want more gain on ch2 the gain mod is a PLUS. :rock:

Back