5153 blue channel changes. True or false?

donho":12oy316a said:
the newer ones dont have any more gain on ch2, but the newer models do have c23 removed and replaced with a jumper wire. that is suppose to make the amp more alive.

also if you want more gain on ch 2 its an easy mode. just clip one side of r26 and more gain. if you just clip one end you can always solder it back to factory. your gain will increase about 2/3rds.
mine is a 2014 100watt head and i did this gain mod its what the amp needs on ch2.
also c23 was already removed at the factory.
if you want your ch1 cleaner replace r55 with a 10k resistor. your ch1 will be super clean up to a little over half.
give either a try you will like.

Interesting... I'll have to look into this.

SFW":3jxfv6it said:
donho":3jxfv6it said:
the newer ones dont have any more gain on ch2, but the newer models do have c23 removed and replaced with a jumper wire. that is suppose to make the amp more alive.

also if you want more gain on ch 2 its an easy mode. just clip one side of r26 and more gain. if you just clip one end you can always solder it back to factory. your gain will increase about 2/3rds.
mine is a 2014 100watt head and i did this gain mod its what the amp needs on ch2.
also c23 was already removed at the factory.
if you want your ch1 cleaner replace r55 with a 10k resistor. your ch1 will be super clean up to a little over half.
give either a try you will like.

Interesting... I'll have to look into this.
yes if you want the 50 watt bl ch on your 100 watt head it is the way to go.
you can also replace r25 with 100k or piggyback a 220k to the original. if you piggyback you can always snip the 220k off and go back to factory. thats how i did mine.
with both r25 and r26 done you will have the 50 watt ch2.
i read a couple people only did the r26 removal and they were more than happy with the amount of gain added, but if you do both r25=100k and remove r26 your gain will almost double. one person stated it sounds exactly like his 50 watt now.

mine rite now is both r25 and r26 mods done.

sounds GREAT :rock:

I would love Fender to come out with a modular "blue channel" in the new MTS/Synergy modular line. That would be killer. Always been interested in the blue channel of this amp.

Lord Toneking":vff21idl said:
Man I wish I had my 100w back because I only gor rid of it because the blue channel lacked enough gain :doh:

I remember you and I having issues with the 50w blue channel flubbing. Mine flubbed with the gain at 9 o'clock no matter what my EQ settings were. I was running it through 2 EVH 2x12s too. I sold mine right away too and so did the guy I sold it to. We had a very different experience than other 50w owners apparently.

I recently picked up a Stealth half stack. It may share some circuitry lineage with the 50w, but thankfully it doesn't sound anything like my old 50w. Much better. Has gobs of gain like the 50w, but is anything but flubby. The blue actually has almost too much gain for me. I run mine really low, and back off my guitar volume if I need a little less. For me, blue would be perfect somewhere between the original 5153 and the Stealth. Never happy right? :LOL: :LOL:

donho":150k9fii said:
the newer ones dont have any more gain on ch2, but the newer models do have c23 removed and replaced with a jumper wire. that is suppose to make the amp more alive.:
Are you talking the stealth or the late model standard 100watters. Because the Stealth most definitely has more gain on channel 2. Channel 2 on my 50w has more gain than my early standard 100w. I thought I heard that all late model 100watters would have the increased gain on channel 2 like the 50w version.

I like my early 100w channel 2 more than the 50w channel 2.

Kevin11":juaq0d8u said:
Lord Toneking":juaq0d8u said:
Man I wish I had my 100w back because I only gor rid of it because the blue channel lacked enough gain :doh:

I remember you and I having issues with the 50w blue channel flubbing. Mine flubbed with the gain at 9 o'clock no matter what my EQ settings were. I was running it through 2 EVH 2x12s too. I sold mine right away too and so did the guy I sold it to. We had a very different experience than other 50w owners apparently.

I recently picked up a Stealth half stack. It may share some circuitry lineage with the 50w, but thankfully it doesn't sound anything like my old 50w. Much better. Has gobs of gain like the 50w, but is anything but flubby. The blue actually has almost too much gain for me. I run mine really low, and back off my guitar volume if I need a little less. For me, blue would be perfect somewhere between the original 5153 and the Stealth. Never happy right? :LOL: :LOL:
I agree. That's why I kept my original 100w and use a boost on channel 2. In essence the boost makes it a 4 channel amp.

Look at the schem of the 2X12 combo : wouldn't it be identical to the stealth one?

What you can see : the first gain stage of blue channel is the same as the red one. the the gain pot of the blue has very little res befor it, and a bright cap. low freq cut of second interstage is abou 4 times higher. last stage has its cathode bypassed.

All those elements give more gain, thighter...

Go the mod option. Donho above had some great ideas, and there are a few guys out there doing commercial mods on EVH.

I have a 50 and played a 100 for a week w a backline. It feels like the 50 has too much gain on blue and the 100 too little for my needs. I guess I could turn down gain on blue 50 but then clean gets too quiet. Maybe I could try 12at7 in V1 on my 50. Still great amps for price.

those who want more gain on their ch2, must try this.

some only do the r26 mod and are very happy with it. its very easy to do and can be reversed if you dont like.

Mailman1971":2nuf47py said:
Think Kruze (that his name?)
Will mod regular 5153 into stealth Specs for 350.
saw his ad on ebay.

I have one of these . Ch2 reminds me a lot of my diezel Herbert I had..

nevusofota":1ettgnd6 said:
donho":1ettgnd6 said:
the newer ones dont have any more gain on ch2, but the newer models do have c23 removed and replaced with a jumper wire. that is suppose to make the amp more alive.:
Are you talking the stealth or the late model standard 100watters. Because the Stealth most definitely has more gain on channel 2. Channel 2 on my 50w has more gain than my early standard 100w. I thought I heard that all late model 100watters would have the increased gain on channel 2 like the 50w version.

I like my early 100w channel 2 more than the 50w channel 2.
i am talking non stealth.

I have owned like every high gain head worth having and the evh 5150iii was one of the worst amps I have ever herd/owned . Lasted three days red chan had just to much gain and blue chan did not have enough gain,boosting the amp would make it sound thin with no thump. The amp really needed a resonance . :thumbsdown: Must be why Ed has BE100 guts in his EVH head cabs lol. This was confirmed by a GOOD source

jd267":2w7857yw said:
I have owned like every high gain head worth having and the evh 5150iii was one of the worst amps I have ever herd/owned . Lasted three days red chan had just to much gain and blue chan did not have enough gain,boosting the amp would make it sound thin with no thump. The amp really needed a resonance . :thumbsdown: Must be why Ed has BE100 guts in his EVH head cabs lol. This was confirmed by a GOOD source
:LOL: :LOL:

Padre Bonic":i0cop31k said:
jd267":i0cop31k said:
Must be why Ed has BE100 guts in his EVH head cabs lol. This was confirmed by a GOOD source
Get off the pipe young man.
Yeah that's one of the funniest things I've ever read on this board. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Back