'72 Marshall Super Lead '68 Specs + Variac

EddyLenz

Hi Guys,

I recently got back into the non master volume sound/feel again and wanted to try some things with my 1972 Super Lead.

It's got the rare Drake transformers of that era and has a stupid high B+ voltage at 510V.
I think I tried all the different Super Lead circuit variations in this amp and landed on pretty much an exact '68 spec.

820/.68 V1b, .002 V1b coupling, 820/.68 V2a, 47k/8Ohm NFB

For me, the amp really comes alive with the variac turned down from 230V to about 145-175V. Without the variac, the voltage is just too high for my taste.

In the 2nd half of the video, I'm using a mystery amp with exactly the same setup (excluding the variac)

That's what I use too and seem to always be fighting with it. Are you doing pre-eq or post-eq or is that just what it sounds like?
I'm just using the EQ for the low shelf and then sometimes the exciter with about 10% on high and 5% on low.

That sounds awesome and that mystery amp sounds great too. Is it that '78 50w after mods?

My '69 Super Lead clone has that same 510vdc when ran at the correct AC voltage and I always run it with a Variac. But I don't think I ever tried 820 on V1b. I should try that next time I'm in there, I think I was concerned the low end would get mushy but it's worth a listen and easy to put something in parallel.

That sounds awesome and that mystery amp sounds great too. Is it that '78 50w after mods?

My '69 Super Lead clone has that same 510vdc when ran at the correct AC voltage and I always run it with a Variac. But I don't think I ever tried 820 on V1b. I should try that next time I'm in there, I think I was concerned the low end would get mushy but it's worth a listen and easy to put something in parallel.
Great sounding clip Eddy, I assume you are going to tell us what the MYSTERY amp is????:p

The 820/.68uf on V1B is a little gainier and has smidge more compression than 2.7K.68uf. I guess some 68 plexi did come from the factory with the 820/.68uf spec. Here is my 69 Marshall NOS build with the exact same specs as Eddy's 72. Try it Spider you might like it, with my Ed spec 68 amp I had the 820/.68uf for a while but I eventually migrated back to 2.7K/.68uf because I liked the headroom and a little less compression but that didn't mean the 820/.68uf doesn't sound killer. :2thumbsup: How many of the 68 plexi left the Marshall factory with this spec who knows? I think it's also been debated if 12301 was 820/68uf or 2.7K/.68uf. You really have to just try it and see what you think about it in all honesty.

My 69 NOS build had about 485DCV on the plates at 120VAC wall voltage to give a comparison to Eddy's. PT was a Classictone and OPT was Metro spec Heyboer C1998 Dagnall clone The amp has a Lar/Mar PPIMV w/ PEC pot and I'm using the ole THD to knock about -4 DB off the top in this clip and it is at wall voltage in this clip no variac at all, and it's biased at 50-55% of dissipation with new production EH6CA7's . NFB was 47K on 8 ohm tap. Pickup is a 1980's Duncan custom 14K and an SRB OD808 in SD-1 mode. Speakers are Celestion Heritage 55HZ 12H-30's. V1A 820/330uf V1B 820/.68uf V2A, all stock no gain mods no variac. Zoom recording off axis... not great but you get the idea of the tone.

That's what I use too and seem to always be fighting with it. Are you doing pre-eq or post-eq or is that just what it sounds like?
What are you fighting? Too much low end and lack of top end bite? Might be the two notes load. I feel like there is a diff tapping it off the amp and before the load rather than off the load.

great tones guys!

have any of you done extensive testing of IRs and different units that host them? is there one that stands out? suhr, ox, boss tae, two notes…

i am still a holdout but i appreciate the concept. tried the iridium but it didn’t impress me. the boss IR box looks interesting…would love something that i can use to enhance my direct rack tone as well as plug my pedalboard into to mess with using headphones.

the cabs in the axe ultra were nice and i imagine the III is way better.

this was the best IR cab sound i’ve heard in a demo yet:

Thanks!
It's not the '78 50W. In 1-2 weeks, I can probably unveil the mystery amp haha.

I really like the 820 on V1b

Great sounding clip Eddy, I assume you are going to tell us what the MYSTERY amp is????:p

The 820/.68uf on V1B is a little gainier and has smidge more compression than 2.7K.68uf. I guess some 68 plexi did come from the factory with the 820/.68uf spec. Here is my 69 Marshall NOS build with the exact same specs as Eddy's 72. Try it Spider you might like it, with my Ed spec 68 amp I had the 820/.68uf for a while but I eventually migrated back to 2.7K/.68uf because I liked the headroom and a little less compression but that didn't mean the 820/.68uf doesn't sound killer. :2thumbsup: How many of the 68 plexi left the Marshall factory with this spec who knows? I think it's also been debated if 12301 was 820/68uf or 2.7K/.68uf. You really have to just try it and see what you think about it in all honesty.

My 69 NOS build had about 485DCV on the plates at 120VAC wall voltage to give a comparison to Eddy's. PT was a Classictone and OPT was Metro spec Heyboer C1998 Dagnall clone The amp has a Lar/Mar PPIMV w/ PEC pot and I'm using the ole THD to knock about -4 DB off the top in this clip and it is at wall voltage in this clip no variac at all, and it's biased at 50-55% of dissipation with new production EH6CA7's . NFB was 47K on 8 ohm tap. Pickup is a 1980's Duncan custom 14K and an SRB OD808 in SD-1 mode. Speakers are Celestion Heritage 55HZ 12H-30's. V1A 820/330uf V1B 820/.68uf V2A, all stock no gain mods no variac. Zoom recording off axis... not great but you get the idea of the tone.

Thanks! I can reveal the mystery amp in 1-2Weeks :D

Your amp sounds great!
I stuck with 820 because I felt like my 72 was lacking some gain, especially without the variac it was very stiff and bright.

great tones guys!

have any of you done extensive testing of IRs and different units that host them? is there one that stands out? suhr, ox, boss tae, two notes…

i am still a holdout but i appreciate the concept. tried the iridium but it didn’t impress me. the boss IR box looks interesting…would love something that i can use to enhance my direct rack tone as well as plug my pedalboard into to mess with using headphones.

the cabs in the axe ultra were nice and i imagine the III is way better.

this was the best IR cab sound i’ve heard in a demo yet:

Thanks!

I tried the BHG IRs in the shop tool and compared them to the others. For my setup and sound preference, I preferred the Pete Thorn Blackback and BritStraight. I wasn't that big a fan of the Lynch ones at first, but after playing around with mixing the VH1/2 cabs, I do think they have something great going on.

What are you fighting? Too much low end and lack of top end bite? Might be the two notes load. I feel like there is a diff tapping it off the amp and before the load rather than off the load.
I'm fighting a lack of it sounding anywhere near as good as Eddy's does here. I have the Suhr Reactive Load and old Super Leads so I don't think there is anyway of tapping it off of the amp and before the load.

Back