Adam Jones say its the guitar not the guitarist.

I've always said, if a band's got a sound of their own, then they've got my stamp of approval.

In the case of Tool? Probably my fave band overall. Thanks for the post - awesome interview.

V.

Big Rich":oajkdutq said:
tool is amazing ... there prob the last real good band to come out in music as of today

+1 :thumbsup:

Sad but true. They're unique and they simply pound!!

Love 'em. Old, new, instrumental, Maynard laden, and hey...what's with the talent of Carey on the skins? KAZY!!!

Peace Y'All,
V.

stephen sawall":3djzrjwi said:
Casey I looked a little and did not find anything ..... I would for one really like to see the rest ......

I believe this was all recorded before they realized how much they were getting foc on the money end of the whole thing.
Let me see what I can do! I gotta find the tape first, haha. I've not seen it since I moved. To be honest, it's really boring and poorly done. I'm a HUGE Tool fan, and even I only watched it twice. You just have to like it because you know it's all we'll ever get, hah.

CaseyCor":9jisa7h6 said:
stephen sawall":9jisa7h6 said:
Casey I looked a little and did not find anything ..... I would for one really like to see the rest ......

I believe this was all recorded before they realized how much they were getting foc on the money end of the whole thing.
Let me see what I can do! I gotta find the tape first, haha. I've not seen it since I moved. To be honest, it's really boring and poorly done. I'm a HUGE Tool fan, and even I only watched it twice. You just have to like it because you know it's all we'll ever get, hah.

I'm always careful to say am a HUGE tool fan for fear of having Don post one of those gay pacino flicks. Not that theres anything wrong with playing catcher, so long as it aint me.
:LOL: :LOL:

Seriously though, Tool is more than just a band, its more of a philosophy, "I am just a worthless liar. I am just an imbecile. I will only complicate you. Trust in me and fall as well"

Jimmie":3s8gifrh said:
CaseyCor":3s8gifrh said:
stephen sawall":3s8gifrh said:

I'm always careful to say am a HUGE tool fan for fear of having Don post one of those gay pacino flicks. Not that theres anything wrong with playing catcher, so long as it aint me.

Seriously though, Tool is more than just a band, its more of a philosophy, "I am just a worthless liar. I am just an imbecile. I will only complicate you. Trust in me and fall as well"
I did it purposely, to see who would take it and run with it :LOL: :LOL:

Jimmie":1wbyjtql said:
CaseyCor":1wbyjtql said:
stephen sawall":1wbyjtql said:

One of the best shows they did a few years back in Vancouver, a rare moment had Maynard at the end of the show speak pretty straight up to the audience of 25,000+ fans... I can't remember it verbatim, but he basically said something along these lines:

"There's a lot of question as to our name. We want to create music that your mind, your soul, your spirit can use to assist. Whether internally allowing new areas of discovery, psychologically, or perhaps externally, the world around you. If, after a show such as this, you can take one thing away with you that will let you grow in some way, or change you in you some way, we've been successful in our band's philosophy and in our attempts. Thanks for coming out. Thanks for truly listening. We hope it has made a change".

And on that note dropped the mic and walked off stage.

V.

I had a '79 Silverburst that was ok but nothing special. It was perhaps the heaviest LPC that I've ever come across...total boat anchor. I sold it in '89 for $450 :doh:

Ventura":1zk6aivk said:
Jimmie":1zk6aivk said:
CaseyCor":1zk6aivk said:
stephen sawall":1zk6aivk said:

One of the best shows they did a few years back in Vancouver, a rare moment had Maynard at the end of the show speak pretty straight up to the audience of 25,000+ fans... I can't remember it verbatim, but he basically said something along these lines:

"There's a lot of question as to our name. We want to create music that your mind, your soul, your spirit can use to assist. Whether internally allowing new areas of discovery, psychologically, or perhaps externally, the world around you. If, after a show such as this, you can take one thing away with you that will let you grow in some way, or change you in you some way, we've been successful in our band's philosophy and in our attempts. Thanks for coming out. Thanks for truly listening. We hope it has made a change".

And on that note dropped the mic and walked off stage.

V.
I have heard him say something very similar that a few times.

I had a silver one about 83 I bought new for around $700.

drucifer":rzwa2lg0 said:
danyeo":rzwa2lg0 said:
What's the amp on the right from :50 - 1:18 ?

It lookie like-a chrome chassis recto to me.

That was around the time he was using his '76 Marshall Super Bass and a 2 channel Dual Recto. He used that set up on Aenema. My favorite tone from him. :thumbsup:

must run out and get one.

Attachments

• retard.gif
    retard.gif
    562.8 KB · Views: 4,880
Interesting interview.

We did covers of Sober and Opiate back in 93. I loved them back then but now not so much. IMHO there are much better bands in that style out now. The one thing that I always found hilarious was the hard core tool fans who way over thought the what the band meant and the lyrics.

lol, I'm a total fanboy!

'79 Silverburst, VH4 and Super Lead built to Jones' spec. (sort of). Absolutely nails his sound. Also, keep in mind that while Jones has been a major reason why Silverbursts are so popular, a lot of other artists use(d) them. From Mastodon, James Iha (Smashing Pumpkins, APC) and Soundgarden, to Wyclef Jean and a few others. I actually got interested in Silverbursts from seeing Wyclef Jean play one. :)

But, man! I love the sound he got when he was running just the Marshall or even during the Aenima days when he had the Mesa alongside it. So raw and aggressive! Now, it's a bitt too bass-heavy and fizzy with the Diezel and all the other bass-heavy amps he used on 10,000 Days. But, still love the music.

3cd9aab12ed18edd1f95001023de8411.jpg

f086daea36e6afdfff35af9cefce8ac2-d344m7v.jpg

Do you have your channels internally jumped in your Super Lead? I have a JCM 800 2203x that I had set up like his amp. I had the OT changed to a Marstran. It sounds bad ass!

FourT6and2":1rzt8yzr said:
lol, I'm a total fanboy!

'79 Silverburst, VH4 and Super Lead built to Jones' spec. (sort of). Absolutely nails his sound. Also, keep in mind that while Jones has been a major reason why Silverbursts are so popular, a lot of other artists use(d) them. From Mastodon, James Iha (Smashing Pumpkins, APC) and Soundgarden, to Wyclef Jean and a few others. I actually got interested in Silverbursts from seeing Wyclef Jean play one. :)

But, man! I love the sound he got when he was running just the Marshall or even during the Aenima days when he had the Mesa alongside it. So raw and aggressive! Now, it's a bitt too bass-heavy and fizzy with the Diezel and all the other bass-heavy amps he used on 10,000 Days. But, still love the music.

Dale B":4dijyst6 said:
Do you have your channels internally jumped in your Super Lead? I have a JCM 800 2203x that I had set up like his amp. I had the OT changed to a Marstran. It sounds bad ass!

No, I jump the channels with a cable. I made a few simple changes to the circuit to get the sound I want. Nothing you wouldn't find in stock 1959's from various years. I just threw 'em all into one amp.

.68 presence cap, .68 cathode caps in V1 and V2, .022 V1b bypass cap, 100k NFB on 4ohm tap and a 2" OT transformer.

FourT6and2":zxsgtdpe said:
Dale B":zxsgtdpe said:

No, I jump the channels with a cable. I made a few simple changes to the circuit to get the sound I want. Nothing you wouldn't find in stock 1959's from various years. I just threw 'em all into one amp.

.68 presence cap, .68 cathode caps in V1 and V2, .022 V1b bypass cap, 100k NFB on 4ohm tap and a 2" OT transformer.

Mine is the 1.5" C1998 OT, but everything else is the same spec as yours. I bought a board from Sozo and put that in the amp with all of the changes. It sounds bad ass! I did put the LarMar PPIMV on the amp and my channels are jumped internally.

How much juice is your PT dishing out on the power tubes?

Dale B":32tzcmz3 said:
FourT6and2":32tzcmz3 said:
Dale B":32tzcmz3 said:

Mine is the 1.5" C1998 OT, but everything else is the same spec as yours. I bought a board from Sozo and put that in the amp with all of the changes. It sounds bad ass! I did put the LarMar PPIMV on the amp and my channels are jumped internally.

How much juice is your PT dishing out on the power tubes?

Nice, any pics?

I'm running 500V on the plates without tubes and anywhere from 470-490 with tubes, depending on the tube brand/type current draw. The JJ's I had in there before were reading 480V at the plates. But the Winged C's I have in there now are drawing less current for some reason. About 470.

I've played quite a few Silverbursts in my time and I think just about every one of them was a dog. Heavy as shit and nothing remarkable going on at all.

sutepaj":5rl0w1qt said:
I've played quite a few Silverbursts in my time and I think just about every one of them was a dog. Heavy as shit and nothing remarkable going on at all.

Wow, that's awesome! Tell me more!

Back