Any pedal recommendation for a Mark III?

I boosted with a ts9 and a boss advanced eq both . I’ll try to find my recording of it . It’s drearh metal. Mk 3 is great for it

Precision drive works great for me for just that
Similar pedals are the timmy and bad monkey

Your amp must be fucked up. Any Boogie Mark III should have more snot than an angry bull. If you put the knobs at 10, all three that set the gain anyway, and turn the master up, you should have such uncontrollable feedback the amp is unusable. Most people set the gain, treble, presence and drive at 8-9, bass at zero and ride the guitar's volume knob for metal.

Unless you're playing at low to mid gain, a boost pedal is just mud and tone suck. High gain is finite, you get to a pinnacle and if you add a little bit more, you go off a cliff into the muddy sewer. That's why the sweet spot on a Mark is 8-9 and not 10 with a needed boost like a Marshall.

If you can get to the point where the gain is biting and clear with a nice gripping tight bottom, boosting it will only ruin it because more isn't more, it's mud.

Your amp must be fucked up. Any Boogie Mark III should have more snot than an angry bull. If you put the knobs at 10, all three that set the gain anyway, and turn the master up, you should have such uncontrollable feedback the amp is unusable. Most people set the gain, treble, presence and drive at 8-9, bass at zero and ride the guitar's volume knob for metal.

Unless you're playing at low to mid gain, a boost pedal is just mud and tone suck. High gain is finite, you get to a pinnacle and if you add a little bit more, you go off a cliff into the muddy sewer. That's why the sweet spot on a Mark is 8-9 and not 10 with a needed boost like a Marshall.

If you can get to the point where the gain is biting and clear with a nice gripping tight bottom, boosting it will only ruin it because more isn't more, it's mud.
Will take this into consideration, even I experimented this for quite some time, anyway I will try and if nothing good comes out of it I will stay with just the amp.

I usually turn volume to 8, treble 8 and lead drive pulled 5.

Will take this into consideration, even I experimented this for quite some time, anyway I will try and if nothing good comes out of it I will stay with just the amp.

I usually turn volume to 8, treble 8 and lead drive pulled 5.
Well bring your lead drive up to 8 as well, that'll get you chugging. Did you try that EQ pedal up front? seriously, it's all you need IMO. Also, try a guitar with EMG's or Fluence actives, those work great for extreme metal.

i never had an issue with my old red stripe and a maxon 808. it was years ago and i cant recall the settings, but it was mean as shit!

i never had an issue with my old red stripe and a maxon 808. it was years ago and i cant recall the settings, but it was mean as shit!
I had a 1987 red stripe Mark III as well but rarely boosted it cause I didn't think it took OD's that well, other than clean boosts or EQ pedals boosting it. My settings were something like Treble: 8 (pulled) bass: 1 mid: 3 input gain: 8 lead drive: 8, presence 3, master: 3 lead master; 3 (pull deep) with a typical V shape on the GEQ, 750hz slider right above the bottom line, 80hz right near the top line, same with the 6600 slider, the other two slider were right on top of the middle line. Those were my typical jam/live settings, although I'm not 100% on where I kept the master volume?? It's been about 5 or 6 years since I owned it.

I had a 1987 red stripe Mark III as well but rarely boosted it cause I didn't think it took OD's that well, other than clean boosts or EQ pedals boosting it. My settings were something like Treble: 8 (pulled) bass: 1 mid: 3 input gain: 8 lead drive: 8, presence 3, master: 3 lead master; 3 (pull deep) with a typical V shape on the GEQ, 750hz slider right above the bottom line, 80hz right near the top line, same with the 6600 slider, the other two slider were right on top of the middle line. Those were my typical jam/live settings, although I'm not 100% on where I kept the master volume?? It's been about 5 or 6 years since I owned it.
in all honesty, mine was like 10 yrs ago plus... i may have been boosting the r2, besides that, i remember bass off and treble dimed for gain, and balance everything with the graphic lol.

The Mark series has a TMB tonestack that will take care of a lot of any EQ shaping you'd need to do before gain, and personally I think Mark amps sound good enough and have enough gain stages that imo an overdrive pedal with its own internal clipping stage isn't really necessary.

With that in mind, you really can't go wrong with just a straight up clean boost pedal. That's what I'd go with anyway.

- MXR Microamp
- Xotic RC Booster
- Boss GE-7 dialed flat

Any of those will get you where you want to go.

Not to say OD's don't work with Mark amps, but I think it's overcomplicating it. I'm pretty sure they can get tight enough on their own.

If you do want a bit more gain and a different kind of voicing to what the amp gives you on its own, I would look into clean boosts with EQ capabilities.

Take a look into the full-size Spark.

VFE Dragon. I don't like to use pedals but this is the only overdrive/boost I've actually kept. It works with every amp I've tried, even those that are usually decried for not taking pedals well (mostly because of their input-stage design I guess). It has variable HPF&LPF, a ton of gain and you can set the compression ratio of the drive circuit.

Hello folks

Thanks a lot for all your help! I bring some news here..

First of all, my Mark III is right now at the technician, a local Spanish guy who is a legend for a reason, and well, after he made his first analysis, he gave me a few words.

1- All power tubes are 1989 originals and they are completely worn out, plus really bad quality ones.
2- Preamp tubes are of very poor choice, plus they are also faulty and add extra noise.
3- Some of the capacitors and filters must be changed

The amp status, even if it looks really good from the outside, is a real mess on the inside, so once he stabilizes all we will further talk about mods or the possibility of adding gain.

Taking this into consideration, I will try a Fortin Hexdrive both on my Mark IV and my Mark III once repair is done to it. Only boost, no drive. Will also try an EQ with flat values.

thanks everybody for the great advice.

Back