HowieJams
Well-known member
I will look in to themKlones are amazing enough for sure man, no reason to go with the real deal. But they are not like the SD1, you need to know how to tweak them, but the result is worth imho
I will look in to themKlones are amazing enough for sure man, no reason to go with the real deal. But they are not like the SD1, you need to know how to tweak them, but the result is worth imho
If you had to pick one?I run a klone and an sd1. The best of both worlds.
I tried to buy all high gain amps so that i would not need any boost pedals and sure, they don't need a boost pedal, but a boost pedal just makes it even better.
I have 3 great tube amps:
Soldano SLO-30 6L6s
Soldano Astro 20 6V6s
Victory MKX EL34s
My Overdrive of choice is the tried and true Boss SD-1 using a 9v battery for power.
I have the level of the SD-1 all the way up, the drive all the way down, and the tone at about 11 o'clock.
I did 4 videos, two comparing the SD-1 on and off and the other two with the SD-1 on the whole time.
One is a Rock backing track and the other is a Spacy type of track.
When I get a chance I will try to do some videos using my other amps also.
I will say the Soldano Astro 20 is my favorite amp, it just sounds great with any guitar.
Let me know what you all think.
Here are the videos:
I figured with my high gain amps the SD-1 would not be needed, I was wrongGood stuff Howie and yeah ODs make any amp sound better even amps with a shit ton of gain already.....
Cheers and all the best *_*
I'm clueless on clones. What do they provide different than an SD-1 or TS?I run a klone and an sd1. The best of both worlds.
Klon and Klones cut less bass than both, sound wider, have a slight mid hump on higher mids than TS9 (which also increase with gain), have a treble control that prevents the amp from sounding too polite in the upper register (something i hate with Ts9 on amps which aren't Marshalls).I'm clueless on clones. What do they provide different than an SD-1 or TS?
They are great at sculpting the tone. I think they are perfect for tube amps. With my Orange Super Crush 100, which is a solid state, boosts are great but it takes away low end, which the Orange lacks. For gigs, it works though because ny bass player has that low end covered.I figured with my high gain amps the SD-1 would not be needed, I was wrong
I am still working the settings, for smooth leads I like the level maxxed, the drive at zero and the tone around 10-11 o'clock, kind of how I used to run my TS808.They are great at sculpting the tone. I think they are perfect for tube amps. With my Orange Super Crush 100, which is a solid state, boosts are great but it takes away low end, which the Orange lacks. For gigs, it works though because ny bass player has that low end covered.
Yeah sometimes I like using less level and a bit more drive.I am still working the settings, for smooth leads I like the level maxxed, the drive at zero and the tone around 10-11 o'clock, kind of how I used to run my TS808.
You can always taper the level and drive in between that and Zack Wylde's settings (level at 3 o'clock drive at 9 o'clock) until you are happy.
Bass players fill in all that great stuff so all you need to do is worry about cutting through the mix.
A lot depends on the amp...Yeah sometimes I like using less level and a bit more drive.
The sd1 for my Marshall JCM1C and the klone for my 2203xIf you had to pick one?
zado pretty much said it allI'm clueless on clones. What do they provide different than an SD-1 or TS?
I'll know soon enoughzado pretty much said it all
The SD-1 definitely added a good something even using it with the settings I used which were not aggressive at all.Honestly even with a high gain beast like the Lynx a nice OD ain't bad..... It just more brings juice, more air, more punch and tight bottom end and just makes a good thing better IMO![]()
Keep me postedI ordered an EP Booster today. Not sure what to expect but went down a rabbit hole.