Using a Boss SD-1 as a boost for my Soldano Astro 20 - 4 videos

  • Thread starter Thread starter HowieJams
  • Start date Start date
HowieJams

HowieJams

Well-known member
I tried to buy all high gain amps so that i would not need any boost pedals and sure, they don't need a boost pedal, but a boost pedal just makes it even better.

I have 3 great tube amps:

Soldano SLO-30 6L6s
Soldano Astro 20 6V6s
Victory MKX EL34s

My Overdrive of choice is the tried and true Boss SD-1 using a 9v battery for power.

I have the level of the SD-1 all the way up, the drive all the way down, and the tone at about 11 o'clock.

I did 4 videos, two comparing the SD-1 on and off and the other two with the SD-1 on the whole time.

One is a Rock backing track and the other is a Spacy type of track.

When I get a chance I will try to do some videos using my other amps also.

I will say the Soldano Astro 20 is my favorite amp, it just sounds great with any guitar.

Let me know what you all think.

Here are the videos:







 
Very nice.

Sd1 with drive off is something special.

Any amt of drive = nope.
 
Its funny how some purists say their amps don't need a boost, or thumb their nose at them. Then they try one, and understand what they've been missing.

I have an SD-1, but the MXR Custom Badass Modified has been my go-to for quite some time. Its like an SD-1 with a little more mojo.
 
Very nice.

Sd1 with drive off is something special.

Any amt of drive = nope.
I tried with Zack Wylde settings first, Level at 3PM and drive at 9PM, it was too much for what I am going for.
I want smooth, creamy, and sustaining lead tones, those settings are for rock and pinch harmonics.

I just maxxed the level, no drive, and tone at 10-11 o'clock and it was great.
 
Its funny how some purists say their amps don't need a boost, or thumb their nose at them. Then they try one, and understand what they've been missing.

I have an SD-1, but the MXR Custom Badass Modified has been my go-to for quite some time. Its like an SD-1 with a little more mojo.
I tried to do without a boost and was happy for about a year, but there is no denying that a $49 pedal is the cherry on top of a $2000 amp.
I had the MXR, good pedal.
 
Last edited:
I also spent a shit ton of money on fancy amps thinking a "good" amp doesn't need a pedal.

Fuck it. My favorite sounds are just boosted amps.
 
That’s a great sounding cutting tone!

At times I like the DS-1 more as it doesn’t have as much of that upper high mid thing going on with SD-1.
 
That’s a great sounding cutting tone!

At times I like the DS-1 more as it doesn’t have as much of that upper high mid thing going on with SD-1.
The SD-1 is better as a boost, the DS-1 is better as distortion in front of a clean amp IMHO.
 
You should also try a Klone. Fantastic for massive higain tones.
So I have been told.
I won't spend $1K on a Klon, maybe a Wampler Tumnus or something of a high quality Klon type pedal, but for now the SD-1 is doing right by me.
 
So I have been told.
I won't spend $1K on a Klon, maybe a Wampler Tumnus or something of a high quality Klon type pedal, but for now the SD-1 is doing right by me.
Klones are amazing enough for sure man, no reason to go with the real deal. But they are not like the SD1, you need to know how to tweak them, but the result is worth imho
 
Back
Top