At what point do I start being concerned?

War_in_D

I want to start off by saying that, in no way, is this meant to be a dig at Scott. I'm sure he's very busy, and has a lot on his plate. With things loosening up from the Covid mess, I'm sure that his business.. just like everyone else's, has spiked and I'm sure there are probably issues with sourcing parts, etc.. He's always been available when I've called, answered all questions and never once given me a reason to think that something is "wrong". Having said that, yesterday marked 19 weeks since my Nitro arrived at Scott's shop to have the fully loaded mods added to it. It's been almost 10 weeks since my KT88's showed up at his shop that I'm having added to the Nitro, and a little over three weeks since I last called him to check on progress and was told that he was planning on starting on it "in the next week". My QR that I ordered last year, built from scratch only took 8 weeks start to finish. The last time I called, I told him I wouldn't bug him again and it'll get here when it gets here.. but dang! At this rate, I may have my new mid-sized QR before I get the Nitro back. LOL

He always puts new builds ahead of mods.

I'm sure it is very hard but I personally would just continue to try to be patient.

I'm sure he has other dudes bugging him every other day. For every extra phone call or email he has to take to explain why he is behind is time lost working on amps. That's the way I look at it. So take pride in the fact that you told him you wouldn't bug him and bite your tongue and honor that.

That and I 'think' we heard he is going to stop modding as he tries to slow down (as he eases into retirement) - is what I got out of it.

my .311 cents

I believe I'm being more than patient, and I will continue to be. I also believe that I squeaked this job in under the wire, because Scott told me himself that he's not doing any more mods or working on anything other than warranty work on his amps and new builds. The last time I spoke to him he was apologetic about it taking so long and believe me, I'm very appreciative of him taking on the job.

I am not, and never will be "that guy" that will pester someone constantly wanting updates. I'm just getting a little frustrated is all. I've probably called 5 times in the past 19 weeks. Two times, it was to check to make sure that things made it there undamaged (the Nitro head and then the KT88's) because there is a limited window that you can file a claim for damage if something happens. Those calls were probably less than a minute. Just a quick "Hey, just checking to make sure it made it there OK" kind of call and that's it. The other times it was to discuss things like adding the KT88's, asking about the Super Sport head (which led me to order the mid-sized QR) and then the last call three weeks ago which was admittedly only to get an update because it had been around 16 weeks at that time and I wanted to know what was going on. I don't really feel too guilty about that call, honestly. Scott was always willing to talk, and I really appreciate that. As I have said before, his customer service is top notch.

I plan on honoring my pledge to not call and bug him. I am, if nothing else, a man of my word. To a point at least, but when does it cross a line? Would that be at 6 months, a year? While I understand that new builds are easier, make more money, etc.. When it comes to "always" putting new builds ahead of mods, that reasoning doesn't really hold water with me because if that was the case, my amp would NEVER get done because I'm sure he'll always have new builds lined up. I can certainly understand favoring the new builds and "working this in" during slower times, etc. but at some point you have to take into consideration the customer's time too. JMHO

I believe I'm being more than patient, and I will continue to be. I also believe that I squeaked this job in under the wire, because Scott told me himself that he's not doing any more mods or working on anything other than warranty work on his amps and new builds. The last time I spoke to him he was apologetic about it taking so long and believe me, I'm very appreciative of him taking on the job.

I am not, and never will be "that guy" that will pester someone constantly wanting updates. I'm just getting a little frustrated is all. I've probably called 5 times in the past 19 weeks. Two times, it was to check to make sure that things made it there undamaged (the Nitro head and then the KT88's) because there is a limited window that you can file a claim for damage if something happens. Those calls were probably less than a minute. Just a quick "Hey, just checking to make sure it made it there OK" kind of call and that's it. The other times it was to discuss things like adding the KT88's, asking about the Super Sport head (which led me to order the mid-sized QR) and then the last call three weeks ago which was admittedly only to get an update because it had been around 16 weeks at that time and I wanted to know what was going on. I don't really feel too guilty about that call, honestly. Scott was always willing to talk, and I really appreciate that. As I have said before, his customer service is top notch.

I plan on honoring my pledge to not call and bug him. I am, if nothing else, a man of my word. To a point at least, but when does it cross a line? Would that be at 6 months, a year? While I understand that new builds are easier, make more money, etc.. When it comes to "always" putting new builds ahead of mods, that reasoning doesn't really hold water with me because if that was the case, my amp would NEVER get done because I'm sure he'll always have new builds lined up. I can certainly understand favoring the new builds and "working this in" during slower times, etc. but at some point you have to take into consideration the customer's time too. JMHO
I’ve had issues in the past with a builder, and he would keep pushing the time back and it was irritating. The fact is this. You are paying for a service. If he tells you it’ll be done in a week and it’s been a month, you have every right to contact him. He’s not doing you a favor, it’s his job. You have every right to post about your experience if you feel like you are getting the run a round.

I’ve had issues in the past with a builder, and he would keep pushing the time back and it was irritating. The fact is this. You are paying for a service. If he tells you it’ll be done in a week and it’s been a month, you have every right to contact him. He’s not doing you a favor, it’s his job. You have every right to post about your experience if you feel like you are getting the run a round.

I will say in Scott's defense, he did not commit to any timeline and I did say that I was in no hurry. However, that was predicated on the fact that it took all of 8 weeks total to build an amp from scratch when I ordered my QR from him last year (where I also told him I was in no hurry). So, based off of that I was thinking maybe 12 weeks was a reasonable time frame to get the Nitro done. That's basically 1.5x longer to do these mods than building an amp from scratch right? When he and I talked about the mid-size QR order at the beginning of June, he was still quoting about an 8 week turn around time for a new build but when I spoke to him again this last time at the beginning of July he was saying it would more than likely be longer due to supply chain issues. I get that the supply chain is whacked out right now, and I fully expect this new mid-sized QR build to take longer than normal but 19 weeks to do mods seems a bit excessive. Maybe I'm wrong.

Tracking is saying it should be here tomorrow, but I'd be surprised if it is. We'll see, I guess. Would be cool to have it back before the weekend!

Back