Axe fx 3 tones!!! This thing is insane!

my problem with my axe fx is that i can't control myself from fucking with EVERYTHING. like with the kemper i can fire it on, turn the dial to a profile i know satisfies me, might tweak eq a tiny bit, and good to go. I'm somewhat limited in options and that's good for me. The Axe I can waste hours playing around with shit and never actually get writing or recording done. It's definitely a "me" problem, not a product problem but it's a real thing and I'm not only person who's had this struggle haha.
Absolutely the same here, I can’t stop screwing with everything and just play. It’s 100% a “me” problem, but it IS a problem :)

Yes.

I've said before that I can get my Axe-Fx 3 to sound as good as my tube amps, but not exactly the same. Part of that dissimilarity is that the modeler usually sounds slightly crisper and and less messy. I mean it's VERY subtle, like a 1% difference or whatever, but it's still there if you squint hard and listen.

Exactly, this sums it up totally. I thought maybe it’s the lower noise floor or something: I don’t know. But I know my playing is way more crisp and clear without even trying and sounds much cleaner, in a good way. It’s not even a question to me this sounds as good if not better than my tube amps. I never thought I’d sell my stuff but I just might at this point, other than my rev F and morin Marshall.

I got a fm9 back in December and cant
Speak highly enough of it.
I run mine into a stereo Duncan 700
Then into my stereo Marshall cabinet.
Fx panned hard left/right. Sometimes I even have two amp models.1 hard left 1 hard right.
One thing I’ve noticed is don’t over do it with fx. For metal anyways.
I’ve been thinking upgrading to the axe3 but really all I’m missing is two pitch blocks. I’ve been talking myself out of it but I’ll cave at some point.

Exactly, this sums it up totally. I thought maybe it’s the lower noise floor or something: I don’t know. But I know my playing is way more crisp and clear without even trying and sounds much cleaner, in a good way. It’s not even a question to me this sounds as good if not better than my tube amps. I never thought I’d sell my stuff but I just might at this point, other than my rev F and morin Marshall.

Speaking as somebody who loves my Axe-Fx 3 to death... if I can give you a piece of advice, it's that even if you can dial the Axe-Fx to sound as good as, or even better than, your tube amps, I'd keep the tube amps around. If you're like me, you'll still want to fire them up every now and then for one reason or another. For one, tube amps are just cool. They're big heavy wood and tolex boxes that get hot and smell like electronics and heated up dust, and there's just something awesome about playing through them. There's a part of your brain that's aware of the analog circuitry and burning tubes that are using their "fuel" as you play, not unlike a race car. I dunno, for me, there's just something about simply knowing I'm playing through analog gear that gives me the fizz, even if it's only a placebo.

A modeler has its own benefits too, but that analog part of the experience is impossible to replicate (because it has nothing to do with sound or the degree of adjustment offered by the amp itself, hah). Also, you know your tube amps are the "benchmark" tones from which the models are derived, and it's good to have them around as a kind of touchstone when you need them.

Play your Axe-Fx, learn everything it can do so you can squeeze as much out of it as possible, but keep the tube amps around too. :)

Last edited:
We model some of the warts of tube amps like crossover distortion, power supply intermodulation (ghost notes), OT flyback, etc. However, we don't model things like power supply line noise, heater noise, input stage noise, etc. So what you end up with is a sort of idealized imperfection. The desirable imperfections that make a tube amp a tube amp are there but the stuff you don't want isn't there.

I absolutely love my AXE III for recording, soooo easy to get incred tones that work perfect in a mix. I don't see myself ever playing out again though yet something inside of me says keep the tube amps and I intend to...I just haven't fired them up much since the Fractal hit my desktop.

Speaking as somebody who loves my Axe-Fx 3 to death... if I can give you a piece of advice, it's that even if you can dial the Axe-Fx to sound as good as, or even better than, your tube amps, I'd keep the tube amps around. If you're like me, you'll still want to fire them up every now and then for one reason or another. For one, tube amps are just cool. They're big heavy wood and tolex boxes that get hot and smell like electronics and heated up dust, and there's just something awesome about playing through them. There's a part of your brain that's aware of the analog circuitry and burning tubes that are using their "fuel" as you play, not unlike a race car. I dunno, for me, there's just something about simply knowing I'm playing through analog gear that gives me the fizz, even if it's only a placebo, lol.

A modeler has its own benefits too, but that analog part of the experience is impossible to replicate. Also, you know your tube amps are the "benchmark" tones from which the models are derived, and it's good to have them around as a kind of touchstone when you need them.

Play your Axe-Fx, learn everything it can do so you can squeeze as much out of it as possible, but keep the tube amps around too. :)
100% excellent advice RIGHT here!!!

We model some of the warts of tube amps like crossover distortion, power supply intermodulation (ghost notes), OT flyback, etc. However, we don't model things like power supply line noise, heater noise, input stage noise, etc. So what you end up with is a sort of idealized imperfection. The desirable imperfections that make a tube amp a tube amp are there but the stuff you don't want isn't there.

Well this is awesome, im glad my ears aren’t lying to me, that’s exactly what I felt. Less noise, less mess etc. thanks cliff, I didn’t realize you were on this forum.

Since I’ve got you here, I made a post about possibly getting an impedence match on a Marshall BV cabinet, as I use IR’s of them quite often, do you have any opinion on this if it’s something you guys could do? Thanks!

Chris

Speaking as somebody who loves my Axe-Fx 3 to death... if I can give you a piece of advice, it's that even if you can dial the Axe-Fx to sound as good as, or even better than, your tube amps, I'd keep the tube amps around. If you're like me, you'll still want to fire them up every now and then for one reason or another. For one, tube amps are just cool. They're big heavy wood and tolex boxes that get hot and smell like electronics and heated up dust, and there's just something awesome about playing through them. There's a part of your brain that's aware of the analog circuitry and burning tubes that are using their "fuel" as you play, not unlike a race car. I dunno, for me, there's just something about simply knowing I'm playing through analog gear that gives me the fizz, even if it's only a placebo, lol.

A modeler has its own benefits too, but that analog part of the experience is impossible to replicate. Also, you know your tube amps are the "benchmark" tones from which the models are derived, and it's good to have them around as a kind of touchstone when you need them.

I agree with you as usual homie. I’ve done the “sell all my amps” thing before, but I was only playing live and the kemper was a fantastic live application at the time. However, now I don’t play live at all and I have the ability to crank my amps in my studio etc, so yea it would be hard for me to justify selling them other than because I have an axe 3. The morin modded Marshall and rev F recto would never leave, but after hearing the EVH and 5150 models, as well as the new Herbert mk3 models, im not sure what the point is in keeping those. I’d love to see a driftwood purple nightmare in this thing, I would assume as popular as that amp is it’ll happen at some Point. My KSR colossus I probably wouldn’t part with either because it is so unique sounding too. Who knows, I’m just loving this thing big time right now. I can’t wait to mic it up, the tones I’m getting through a cab are incredible.

Well this is awesome, im glad my ears aren’t lying to me, that’s exactly what I felt. Less noise, less mess etc. thanks cliff, I didn’t realize you were on this forum.

Since I’ve got you here, I made a post about possibly getting an impedence match on a Marshall BV cabinet, as I use IR’s of them quite often, do you have any opinion on this if it’s something you guys could do? Thanks!

Chris
Is this the same cab?:
https://nh.craigslist.org/msg/d/derry-marshall-1960b-4x12-cab/7607774429.html
I've been thinking of buying this to get the data from it.

Is this the same cab?:
https://nh.craigslist.org/msg/d/derry-marshall-1960b-4x12-cab/7607774429.html
I've been thinking of buying this to get the data from it.

I am no expert on speaker and cab impedance, but that cab has 75 watt celestions. The Marshall 1960 AV/BV cabs have Marshall celestion vintage speakers. These speakers were the original v30s in 1986 or so. As the v30 changed, Marshall wanted to keep the original design, and thus that is what the Marshall celestion vintage speakers are.

Here is what is in the Marshall AV/BV cabs:

https://reverb.com/item/40568953-ce...are&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=40568953

They also made/make them in 8 ohm. The late 80s Marshall Cabs had these in them, as well as the early jubilee cabs ( model is 2551AV I believe) they are of course different sounding still.

These are the cabs I’m referring to:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...-4x12-inch-straight-extension-cabinet/reviews

As far as how much different the impedance is between the BV cab I listed above and the 1960B cab as you listed with GT-75 speakers Is, that would be interesting to see. But I can’t imagine a Marshall BV cabinet and a Mesa recto cab impedance wise being the same. The BV/AV cabs are very different in just about every way to me than the recto cabs that they often get compared to. Marshall AV/BV cabs have more grind , are definitely more scooped, and to me have more low end than a recto cab. Their popularity seems to be coming back as well, as producers like Andy sneap, colin Richardson, and mark Lewis prefer them these days. It’s ironic how much love the recto cab gets ( which is of course a great sounding cab, I own both the oversized and traditional recto 4x12) compared to the BV/AV cabs, considering some of the most iconic metal tones were done with those Marshall cabs ( the black album being the biggest of those for sure).

I’m a big fan if you can’t tell haha, and I would love to see what you come up with as far as those cabs are concerned. If they are basically the same as a recto 4x12, that would be killer to know, but like I said I can’t imagine they are, considering you modeled the impedence of the oversized recto cab, AND traditional recto cab: and those two cabs have the same speakers in them. So I imagine they are very different.

Last edited:
That site picture shows mass added to the cone.
Untitled.png

@VESmedic - if you haven't done this before it's super easy - if required.

Play-dough and an accurate gram scale (and spec) is all ya really need.

If you own an 1960BV or have access to one you can measure the impedance and send the data to us and we'll add it to our firmware.

We use this to measure the impedance:
https://www.parts-express.com/Dayto...udio-Component-Test-System-390-807?quantity=1

Thanks cliff. I believe Justin at york audio is now putting the impedances of his cabs he sells IR’s of in his manual for each pack. I just asked him if he had measured it. He did measure the BV, and stated it’s 113hz. He also states in the manual to try the citrus or tv cab. Now again, im no expert obviously, but is that the only parameter that I would need to tweak to get it dead on to my BV? I’m guessing not, if he also suggested which cabs to select from as well in the axe…. Thanks again cliff.

I used to hate these speakers. Couldn’t understand how someone like Yngwie could use them. Then I found out they need to be played loud.

The older ones are very different than the new ones. And even still, the new ones are great with the right amp. That’s why they work with mid heavy amps like Marshalls. Amazing metal tones have been done with these as well ( carcass heartwork, nevermore- dead heart in a dead world, testament-the gathering, exodus- tempo of the damned) I also think they are absolutely killer with my driftwood purple nightmare, fantastic sounding with my Uber cab I think personally.

Thanks cliff. I believe Justin at york audio is now putting the impedances of his cabs he sells IR’s of in his manual for each pack. I just asked him if he had measured it. He did measure the BV, and stated it’s 113hz. He also states in the manual to try the citrus or tv cab. Now again, im no expert obviously, but is that the only parameter that I would need to tweak to get it dead on to my BV? I’m guessing not, if he also suggested which cabs to select from as well in the axe…. Thanks again cliff.
I'll ask Justin if he can send me the impedance sweep data.

I can’t wait to mic it up, the tones I’m getting through a cab are incredible.
Sorry if you mentioned it already, but what power amp are you running your Axe III into? Have you tried running it into the FX return of various heads and noticed any difference in quality or clarity?

I have to admit, a few years ago I splurged on a pair of power amps (2150 and Classic XXX) with the intention of also buying an Axe to run through them...only I've gotten so distracted by how good they sound with my synergy setup that I just never got around to buying the Fractal!

Back