Boss Katana

mctallica1":2dlde2j8 said:
crankyrayhanky":2dlde2j8 said:
Mailman1971":2dlde2j8 said:
mctallica1":2dlde2j8 said:
We'll, I'll be damned. This thing is very impressive.

It most certainly isn't going to replace my Cherry Bomb or Mark IIC+, but it sounds and feels REALLY good. And for the price point, I think it sounds amazing.

I haven't even put an MXR 10 band in the loop yet.....which is the secret sauce for my sound with every amp and I got it dialed in to a tone that sounds like "me" in just a few minutes.

Highly recommend this thing.

One last point.....I would be happy to gig with this thing in a heartbeat if I were still gigging. It is much better than several amps that I did gig with :thumbsup:

Wow.

Now plug that eq in the loop. This amp will melt your face off. :D

What are you all doing with the eq settings? I'd like to melt face too :yes:
I imagine a little smile mid scoop?
Is it way better than just using the same settings in the para eq in the amp software?

I can't speak to the para EQ in the amp because I haven't used it yet, but I do love para EQ! My PQ6 is one of my prize possessions :rock:

However, I put an MXR 10 Band in the loop of every amp I play....for the past several years. It adds a special " something" to my ears to the tone.

On some amps, I leave everything flat, but on most, I drop the 500 a tad and the 1000 about half what I drop the 500. I've found that these two sliders on this EQ...for me...are where the magic happens. Some amps need more and some amps need less.

I tend to stay away from the classic frown because I'm not really looking for scooped tone.

I find that I like to notch a little out on every amp between 400hz and 800hz. It is different on every amp. It is for the same reason.... not really going for ultra-scooped, but getting rid of a little mids clears the tone up and makes it sound heavier.

I can't remember where I set my Katana, but it was either 500hz, or 630hz. I didn't like it as much up around 800hz, for that particular amp.

My eq is damn near flat line in the loop.
Maybe just barely bump the two end sliders past zero. It just 'hypes' this and every other amp.
Really digging this amp. :yes:

Yeah this amp is really touchy responsive.
Really love it. Makes me wonder if they will put out a Katana 2.
Not sure the improvements. This one is tits all over. :rock:

I've been looking to upgrade my old vox practice amp and played this at GC. I don't know what the fuss is about. It sounded very boxy. Played it back to back w/ a PV vypyr and enjoyed the PV much more. And I'm just talking amp models. The PV had better everything with the exception being ease of use. I don't get the fuss about this boss amp. It just didn't sound that good. am I missing something?

the rossness":1dufdk2z said:
I've been looking to upgrade my old vox practice amp and played this at GC. I don't know what the fuss is about. It sounded very boxy. Played it back to back w/ a PV vypyr and enjoyed the PV much more. And I'm just talking amp models. The PV had better everything with the exception being ease of use. I don't get the fuss about this boss amp. It just didn't sound that good. am I missing something?

Which Katana did you demo? Just curios...I don't own one, just curious.

MrDowntown":11gmssi9 said:
the rossness":11gmssi9 said:

Which Katana did you demo? Just curios...I don't own one, just curious.
100 watt combo

Seems like most the guys that didn't dig were the ones that played the combos.
The head thru my 4x12 is just super great. Can't knock it. :thumbsup:

Mailman1971":2wowwqv6 said:
Seems like most the guys that didn't dig were the ones that played the combos.
The head thru my 4x12 is just super great. Can't knock it. :thumbsup:
Blah blah blah!

Jk! Love mine!

I have not spent a whole bunch of time with mine but I'm not feeling it like Mr Maleman.

I bought the 100 112 then returned it and got a head after I picked up a 4x12.

For my taste it's a must to have the EQ on to get the bottom end.

It is pretty picky on guitars. It loves my Kamikazie!!
Plugged in the black ESP (didn't change settings) it sounded thin and weak.
After playing with the eq a bit. Got it to respond great.
So it is picky with different guitars.

Keep in mine the black ESP has EMGs and unless you swapped out the SD in the Kami, that could make the difference in that one.

Mailman1971":1zatpc7z said:

I think my biggest issue is how limited it is. To dial in my sound, it basically takes every slot, and I have no room for any effects. It would be nice if they could open another slot, or let us use another effect in place of the reverb.

Shask":1mq1sj66 said:
Mailman1971":1mq1sj66 said:

I think my biggest issue is how limited it is. To dial in my sound, it basically takes every slot, and I have no room for any effects. It would be nice if they could open another slot, or let us use another effect in place of the reverb.

Yeah like an EQ, but it is cheap so I guess I can't complain too much for what it is.

Metlupass2":33mexw4y said:
I have not spent a whole bunch of time with mine but I'm not feeling it like Mr Maleman.

I bought the 100 112 then returned it and got a head after I picked up a 4x12.

For my taste it's a must to have the EQ on to get the bottom end.

I have to use the EQ to crank the low end also. I also like to scoop the mids some. I think it sounds pretty awesome like that though. I typically use an EQ pedal with tube amps also, so that isn't much different.

I just hate the OD->Preamp->EQ basically takes up all of the slots and leaves no room for effects.

Metlupass2":37cxmac4 said:
Keep in mine the black ESP has EMGs and unless you swapped out the SD in the Kami, that could make the difference in that one.
I put a x2n in the Kami. That pickup is perfect for that guitar.
Love the EMGS. Little more tight with more crunch.
Them 2 ESPS's just rip it up.

Metlupass2":2a5t15yw said:
Shask":2a5t15yw said:
Mailman1971":2a5t15yw said:

Yeah like an EQ, but it is cheap so I guess I can't complain too much for what it is.

It would be nice if there was a permanent Parametric EQ in the chain without taking up a slot, like the NS. :yes:

It was cheap, but honestly I am enjoying playing this amp just about as much as my Axe-FX/Matrix rig. It is much more limited, but it definitely is more fun to just turn on and jam around on without sitting and tweaking forever.

I purchased the 50 watt combo used. Its a cool little amp. I like messing with the acoustic simulator that you can pull from the boss tone studio. The best sound i have been able to get out if it is just setting it clean and using my Friedman BE od with it. I can live with the sounds in the combo if i have to grab and go but it becomes even more powerful with a really nice pedal board. I would pay $150 used for a combo just for the clean sound built in reverb, delay, and the acoustic simulation/acoustic amp. Everything else in the amp i can live without.

Back