Boss OD-2 Turbo Overdrive Review!

severinsteel

See my current Boss collection here:
http://instagram.com/boss_pedal_project

Episode 34: OD-2 Turbo Overdrive

Oh boy, this pedal eluded me for months! It's not a very expensive or popular pedal really, but I just couldn't get it for what I wanted to pay. Finally, I snagged one and here it is: the Boss OD-2 Turbo Overdrive!

This OD-2 is sort of the more polite brother of the SD-2 Turbo Distortion. They both have two modes and pretty much operate the same. There is also the OD-2r that has a remote switch input to toggle between the modes. Apparently that one is pretty much the same internally, with a little more gain on tap.

The OD-2 was made to replace the OD-1. Controls include Level, Tone, Drive, and a mode toggle. The 'Turbo' mode has more gain, and an overall more aggressive sound than the 'Standard' mode. It is one of those pedals that must have the Level set to max to achieve unity gain in front of a clean amp. It sounds good this way, but I much prefer it as a boost in front of the High input on the Marshall 800.

Was the OD-2 worth the wait? It sounds good for sure, but I can't help but lump it in with the SD-1. It's a solid pedal, but I really would just use it as a boost.

-Cameron Johnson

Music by Atma Weapon
atmaweaponnc.bandcamp.com
facebook.com/atmaweaponnc

I love the SD-1 in front of a JCM. What's your favorite choice of boost in front of the 800? Boss or otherwise.

Docster":3bn2efj4 said:
I love the SD-1 in front of a JCM. What's your favorite choice of boost in front of the 800? Boss or otherwise.

I dig the SD-2 a lot actually. I also have a modded OD-1 that sounds just great. And don't forget about the Rat!

Cameron, if you had the choice of only the OD-3 and SD-1 to use as a boost and as a standalone, mid gain OD, which one would you choose and why?

NaturalBornBoy":2xb4bp66 said:
Cameron, if you had the choice of only the OD-3 and SD-1 to use as a boost and as a standalone, mid gain OD, which one would you choose and why?

OD-3 for sure. I love the SD-1, but it isn't ideal in front of a clean amp. You have to crank the level up to max to achieve unity gain. I think it sounds best used as a boost in front of a dirty amp. The OD-3 is much more versatile. It has enough level to work great in front of a clean amp, and you can run it as a boost. In fact, a lot of players swear by the OD-3. It's one of my favorites.

Cam

severinsteel":382tmmvk said:
NaturalBornBoy":382tmmvk said:

OD-3 for sure. I love the SD-1, but it isn't ideal in front of a clean amp. You have to crank the level up to max to achieve unity gain. I think it sounds best used as a boost in front of a dirty amp. The OD-3 is much more versatile. It has enough level to work great in front of a clean amp, and you can run it as a boost. In fact, a lot of players swear by the OD-3. It's one of my favorites.

Cam

I've read that the OD-3 can get bass heavy when boosting a dirty amp. Any truth to this?

NaturalBornBoy":2lyndau0 said:
severinsteel":2lyndau0 said:
NaturalBornBoy":2lyndau0 said:

Cam

I've read that the OD-3 can get bass heavy when boosting a dirty amp. Any truth to this?

I never noticed that with mine.

severinsteel":20v33jeg said:
NaturalBornBoy":20v33jeg said:
severinsteel":20v33jeg said:
NaturalBornBoy":20v33jeg said:

Cam

Cool. Thanks for your input :thumbsup:

I love your Boss pedals videos fwiw. Really cool shit. Boss has/had a lot of gems but I guess most people get turned off cos' Boss ain't boutique.

NaturalBornBoy":3sqby9ok said:
severinsteel":3sqby9ok said:
severinsteel":3sqby9ok said:

Cam

I love your Boss pedals videos fwiw. Really cool shit. Boss has/had a lot of gems but I guess most people get turned off cos' Boss ain't boutique.

Thanks man! I really appreciate you watching. It means a lot dude! And yes, I'm trying to spread Boss love. And no, Boss isn't paying me. They'd have to pay me a lot to compensate for what I've spent on this project ;).

severinsteel":nvqchpmm said:
NaturalBornBoy":nvqchpmm said:

Cam

Thanks man! I really appreciate you watching. It means a lot dude! And yes, I'm trying to spread Boss love. And no, Boss isn't paying me. They'd have to pay me a lot to compensate for what I've spent on this project ;).

No shit, dude. Some of those vintage/rare Boss pedals are not cheap.

severinsteel":1hhi5zci said:
Docster":1hhi5zci said:

I dig the SD-2 a lot actually. I also have a modded OD-1 that sounds just great. And don't forget about the Rat!

How do each affect the tone in front of a JCM differently than the SD-1?

Docster":hxsqfegt said:
severinsteel":hxsqfegt said:
Docster":hxsqfegt said:

That's a tough question. You almost have to be there and feel the difference, because that is a lot of what you are going to hear. A lot is in the attack and tightness of the pedal. My benchmark, is my Friedman modded JMP. If a pedal gets me close, than it's a winner.

severinsteel":2vyx1lqs said:
Docster":2vyx1lqs said:
severinsteel":2vyx1lqs said:
Docster":2vyx1lqs said:

That's a tough question. You almost have to be there and feel the difference, because that is a lot of what you are going to hear. A lot is in the attack and tightness of the pedal. My benchmark, is my Friedman modded JMP. If a pedal gets me close, than it's a winner.

Ok, so what's the winner of the three?

severinsteel":2z78bkej said:
NaturalBornBoy":2z78bkej said:

Cam

Did you mod the SD-1 or something? I have had 3 of them now and I have never had to crank up the level to achieve unity gain

Audiowonderland":1inre121 said:
severinsteel":1inre121 said:
NaturalBornBoy":1inre121 said:

Cam

Did you mod the SD-1 or something? I have had 3 of them now and I have never had to crank up the level to achieve unity gain

Mine is stock. That's the experience I had with the SD-1 in front of the Low input on my JCM 800.

Audiowonderland":17om156v said:
severinsteel":17om156v said:
NaturalBornBoy":17om156v said:

Cam

None of mine ever did that. Unity was always right around noon.

Greazygeo":1veeq1oe said:
Audiowonderland":1veeq1oe said:
severinsteel":1veeq1oe said:
NaturalBornBoy":1veeq1oe said:

Cam

None of mine ever did that. Unity was always right around noon.

Hmm... that's strange. As of now, I've heard both.

Back