Budget recording interface?whats the best for the money?

Also check out the Alesis Multimix line. I have an older 16 channel firewire version that I've been happy with for nearly 10 years. The modern ones are USB.

For pres and a/d conversion on a budget, PreSonus Firebox/Firestudio, etc are very good. You can also score a RME Fireface used for a decent price.

I had a presonus fp10 had lots of computer issues with it and now I bought a iMac and won't work with it.leaning towards focus rite

Are you going to be tracking multiple inputs at once like for drums? If not, I dont think it gets better than a Duet. I got mine used for ~$225 and its just fantastic.

The Focusrite Saffire 24 or Scarlett 2i2 are solid choices. If you use Cubase then the Steinberg ur22 or ur44 are great options because they integrate seamlessly with the software. I haven't used some of the other comparable interfaces, but these sound good and are reliable in my experience.

I'd rather recommend to get a Focusrite ISA ONE preamp with DA module and a cheap interface with SPDIF/ADAT connection.
You can get it around 300 used.
The preamp part, clock and the DA conversion blows any soundcard's pre,clock and DA converters out of the water.
You get a badass preamp and can upgrade the soundcard if required.

Back