Bugera Tri-rec!

Viesczy

Alright, so I simply HAD to do it, I simply HAD to get a Bugera Trirec first generation because I was DYING to know what it was like, how it would compare against my Dual Rectifier (yes it is a Road King II and not "just" a Dual Rectifier). How many times did I say I wouldn't buy a first generation Bugera? More times than I can count, that's how many! What did I buy? A first generation Bugera!

So 3 weekends ago she's here! Okay officially she's @ my GF's place so that I have an amp (well amps) there to play through when I'm there.

The good.

On channel #1 the clean sounds nice and has a gain switch to use it as a light crunch channel if I so needed it.

On channels #2 & #3 there are three gain options to cover from a little more crunch than channel #1 up to molten magma.

The clean channel on the Road King, well channels as there are two, they are just beyond compare to any amp with the sheer versatility and tone. Now comparing the gain channels, both are awesome. The Trirec is a little brighter voiced where the Road King II (and Roadster) is a bit darker. The tones available are AWESOME.

The BAD.

So after less than 20 hours on the Trirec, a total of 6 hours the first 2 weekends and 4 hours last weekend and an hour on her this Wednesday, the gain channels went belly up!!! :doh:

First they lost volume to where they're whisper quiet and now they're buzz like I'm standing by a fluorescent with one eight the volume of the clean channel.

Easy fix right? Just a bad preamp tube in the gain side of the house?

NOPE. Swapped out all the 12ax7s with ones I know are in fine working condition from my place last night and still the same thing on the gain channels - thin, buzzing and no volume, but the clean is right as paint. I am going to pull the 12ax7s from my 5150 III @ my GFs and try that today, but I am doubtful.

Zzounds doesn't have any in stock to swap it out and direct me to Bugera for a fix.

So now do I bother to see how good Bugera is with their warranty service, know that there is always some sort of infant mortality in electronics?

Or do I simply return it to Zzounds, that this is just a sign of things to come with a first generation Bugera like all their prior first generations?

It is only a $1k amp and it isn't my primary amp, but it still sticks in my craw.

There are other $1k amps out there in the same line of high gain powerhouses like the 3120 & the 5150 III 50 that will do what this amp basically does, that I own and haven't failed in the months (5150 III 50) or years (my XXX) I have owned them.

So go ahead, rip me for buying the Bugera, tell me how you all were right as it is justified. Certainly appears that I completely deserve the ridicule and scorn.

Derek

I liked the youtube vids of the Trirec I heard. Those Bugera's are starting to get pricey now, I was suprised to see the Trirec at about $1K.

The bugera reps posted here, do a search. You can contact them. Myself i would just return it and move on. Sorry you are having issues. Not a bugera fan, but I don't like to see people having amp issues.

I bought a 1960 2nd gen a few months ago and after 2 days it completely died on me. I sent it back to AMS and thought about swapping it for another but decided just to get my money back. Rather not take the risk of another one, and then being out of warranty. Sounded great though. This was a 2nd gen "infinium" model too.

Do any stores have these in stock yet? (And I don't mean online dealers like zzounds)

I'm also very curious about their Magician model. I wonder when that's coming out. As you can see in my sig, I like the mark series a lot :LOL: :LOL:

crankyrayhanky":luwizrgw said:
There's no way I would consider anything but a return

+1

I was very impressed with how good this amp sounded.

I thought Bugera had fixed their amp "issues" by now.

I guess not...Also with the price point being $1,000 I would quicky return, get my money back and buy a 5150 III.

My thoughts on Bugera, i would definitely rock a Bugera. Some of them sound killer, but I would not pay anything close to $1,000 for one.

I know that Dan Gallagher has posted on here in the one past Bugera thread, Dan is the ex CEO (well co-CEO) of Jet City Amps. I'll see what they have to say about the situation and decide from there as if they're half as customer friendly/helpful as what JCA is all should be fine.

As far as the 5150 III 50, I alreayd have one. It too is at my GF's place. Honestly, the Trirec sounded better than it. To the point where I was thinking do I "need" the ivory 50 watter.

FWIW I only paid $780 for the amp, Zzounds beat MF's price for the amp.

As far as why did I score it? To compare against my Mesa Road King II! You gotta have tonal options and more amps than digits on your hands!

Derek

I admit I was impressed by the You Tube video I saw also but I would return it and cut my losses. There are too many funny videos of Bugeras going up in flames to expect that you will not have another problem later with another one. The Bic lighter of Amps.

Very interesting you say its from ZzSounds.

I have a friend who initially bought a Bugera 6262 from them. It went tits up after an hour. The replacement did the same thing.

So he paid the difference and got a Laney Ironheart from them. That amp also blew up after 4 hours of use. The replacement made it 6 hours. The one that replaced that was crushed INSIDE the box.

Just wondering what is going on over at ZzSounds. :scared:

mallard-drake.jpg

Id be embarassed if i bought a bOOgera and it crapped out and then posted on forums stating the obvious.

Cant figure if you have balls or are just not that brite but i hope you get a better amp anyway,

If it looks like a Duck ....

fluff191":yavb1pfk said:
Very interesting you say its from ZzSounds.

I have a friend who initially bought a Bugera 6262 from them. It went tits up after an hour. The replacement did the same thing.

So he paid the difference and got a Laney Ironheart from them. That amp also blew up after 4 hours of use. The replacement made it 6 hours. The one that replaced that was crushed INSIDE the box.

Just wondering what is going on over at ZzSounds. :scared:

Maybe? I know that they are the same as American Musical and Same Day Music, all my gear purchases from them in the past have been fine, but all but one was an amp though... IDK.

Derek

charveldan":324b9vii said:
mallard-drake.jpg

Id be embarassed if i bought a bOOgera and it crapped out and then posted on forums stating the obvious.

Cant figure if you have balls or are just not that brite but i hope you get a better amp anyway,

Dan,
Dija miss the reason why I tried out Trirec, to compare to my Mesa Road King II?

Like I said fwiw 'til she crapped out, the tones weren't that bad.

Derek

Viesczy":1fajjpd1 said:
Alright, so I simply HAD to do it, I simply HAD to get a Bugera Trirec first generation because I was DYING to know what it was like, how it would compare against my Dual Rectifier (yes it is a Road King II and not "just" a Dual Rectifier). How many times did I say I wouldn't buy a first generation Bugera? More times than I can count, that's how many! What did I buy? A first generation Bugera!

So 3 weekends ago she's here! Okay officially she's @ my GF's place so that I have an amp (well amps) there to play through when I'm there.

The good.

On channel #1 the clean sounds nice and has a gain switch to use it as a light crunch channel if I so needed it.

On channels #2 & #3 there are three gain options to cover from a little more crunch than channel #1 up to molten magma.

The clean channel on the Road King, well channels as there are two, they are just beyond compare to any amp with the sheer versatility and tone. Now comparing the gain channels, both are awesome. The Trirec is a little brighter voiced where the Road King II (and Roadster) is a bit darker. The tones available are AWESOME.

The BAD.

So after less than 20 hours on the Trirec, a total of 6 hours the first 2 weekends and 4 hours last weekend and an hour on her this Wednesday, the gain channels went belly up!!! :doh:

First they lost volume to where they're whisper quiet and now they're buzz like I'm standing by a fluorescent with one eight the volume of the clean channel.

Easy fix right? Just a bad preamp tube in the gain side of the house?

NOPE. Swapped out all the 12ax7s with ones I know are in fine working condition from my place last night and still the same thing on the gain channels - thin, buzzing and no volume, but the clean is right as paint. I am going to pull the 12ax7s from my 5150 III @ my GFs and try that today, but I am doubtful.

Zzounds doesn't have any in stock to swap it out and direct me to Bugera for a fix.

So now do I bother to see how good Bugera is with their warranty service, know that there is always some sort of infant mortality in electronics?

Or do I simply return it to Zzounds, that this is just a sign of things to come with a first generation Bugera like all their prior first generations?

It is only a $1k amp and it isn't my primary amp, but it still sticks in my craw.

There are other $1k amps out there in the same line of high gain powerhouses like the 3120 & the 5150 III 50 that will do what this amp basically does, that I own and haven't failed in the months (5150 III 50) or years (my XXX) I have owned them.

So go ahead, rip me for buying the Bugera, tell me how you all were right as it is justified. Certainly appears that I completely deserve the ridicule and scorn.

Derek
I bought a 6260 when they first came out for the fuck of it. I owned it about a year no issues. I bought it to compare to the 5150 and they were the same amp...every time I fired it up I would laugh. lol

Viesczy":1lq6scvq said:
charveldan":1lq6scvq said:
mallard-drake.jpg

Dan,
Dija miss the reason why I tried out Trirec, to compare to my Mesa Road King II?

Like I said fwiw 'til she crapped out, the tones weren't that bad.

Derek
I appreciate the intent but Beringer/bugera issues are well documented.

My current amp is 35 years old and has never "crapped out" but whatever.

I like how u say "its only a 1K amp". Dude a grand for a new amp that lasts 2 weeks is a butt rape.

Back