Butterslax is the Best

MistaGuitah

I always liked the Butterslax but two years later and I'm liking it more than ever. Oh man it's so good. I wish they made a 30w version. This amp has grown on me a lot over time. Anyone else coming around to the Butterslax?

Best Friedman? Sure, I’ve only heard good things. Best amp? Ehh, I’d say there are quite a few out there that would give it a run. Clips I’ve heard do sound good.

I have a Buitterslax. It's my favorite Friedman that I've played, but I still just don't think the Friedman sound is my thing. Prefer something a little more open and raw sounding.

That said, excellent note clarity, very tight, leads are great on it with the compression it offers, loop is killer. It is a great amp.

I've always wanted a Butterslax. I got a JJ jr. thinking that it would get me into the ballpark for 20 watts. But I didnt like it. I cant explain it but if I had to try I would say it didnt have the bark or the pissed off tone I was expecting. Or maybe too polished. Great amp just not for me. I would like to hear the 100 watt so I could get an idea if they were comparable. I love Mastodon and their sound so the Butterslax was kinda like my dream amp. Now Im thinking Friedman just isnt my flavor. Maybe one day I can see one in person and play it. I took a lesson from Bill last year and was hoping to hear one up close but I think he was using a little blackstar combo.

Its cool that you are loving it as you go down the road a few years. Thats an awesome feeling. I feel the same way about my KSR Orthos. Everytime I start getting tired of it I just change a setting or mode and I fall in love with it all over again.

Bad.Seed":p002nhqz said:
I have a Buitterslax. It's my favorite Friedman that I've played, but I still just don't think the Friedman sound is my thing. Prefer something a little more open and raw sounding.

That said, excellent note clarity, very tight, leads are great on it with the compression it offers, loop is killer. It is a great amp.

You posted this before mine posted but I feel the same way. I like the Splawns I've owned more than the Friedman I had. Im the same way about 5150's I love the Peavey version much more than the EVH.

As far as available production I would say that is probably #1 on my list, I think if Dave added the structure switch to tighten it up and upped the preamp filter it would be near perfect.

Monomyth":c24wv7os said:
As far as available production I would say that is probably #1 on my list, I think if Dave added the structure switch to tighten it up and upped the preamp filter it would be near perfect.

The amp I got from you is by far my favorite Marshall flavor amp by a mile.

Still love mine. I like to rotate amps so they all get played but the Butterslax always does it for me everytime. And each channel is so good on it's own. I could probably sell my Dirty Shirley and be happy with the slax's ch1 for all things rock.

I remember the Butterslax being my favorite model Friedman and definitely a cool amp, but when I compared it to the Cameron modded Marshall’s and Wizard I had at the time, I felt it didn’t hold up too well in comparison. Was way less raw, less aggressive, smoother, restrained, nowhere near as lively in comparison and not as defined. I was surprised, but AB comparisons can be very revealing sometimes

I liked the Slax a lot. Channel 1 is so great. I never added a gain cut switch, but that would make it perfect. It's like a boosted 800 on channel 1. 2 and 3 are pretty over the top. I wouldn't call it a tight amp really, to be honest. I sold it but may have to revisit it again soon.

I made this track 3 or 4 years ago with the Butterslax. No boost, just straight in. I've posted this in a few Butterslax threads, I think it captures the sound pretty well.

https://soundcloud.com/user-410256184/02-19-17a-1

Back