CCV Preamp Tubes - What are you currently using?

OUTLAW1969

So now that everyone is getting settled in with their CCV's, what tube combos are you guys prefering in V1-V5.

I am currently using a NOS RFT in V1, C9's in V2-V4, and an LPS is V5. Sounds great, but wondering if anyone has stumbled across anything else that seems like magic ?

OUTLAW1969":u3kxebge said:
So now that everyone is getting settled in with their CCV's, what tube combos are you guys prefering in V1-V5.

I am currently using a NOS RFT in V1, C9's in V2-V4, and an LPS is V5. Sounds great, but wondering if anyone has stumbled across anything else that seems like magic ?

Pretty close to what I was running, but I had some GT C8's in V2/V3 and a JJ in V4 (try a Tung Sol here too). One big thing though that I found out with the LPS in V5 is that it can sort of blanket the amp a bit. Put a C9 back in there or an EI if you have one. You can also try an NOS EI in V1, which sounds good too. Also, give an NOS Mullard a spin in V1. Really smooths things out. V1 needs to be a strong tube though as it takes a beating.

V2/V3 are cathode followers. So, keep your Chinese tubes there.

Steve

Found a really combo in the CCV.....Tung sol in V1...ARS in V2-V3-V4 and a sovtek LPS in the phase inverter... :rock: Sounds great....

Back