Celestion G12-65's...Old vs New

PurityS.L.G

Have any of you guys played or have gotten to compare the 80's version vs the currently made version? Wanted to see if they was a big sound difference between the two, as I love the originals. I know Celestion makes their speakers in England again but not sure if that means much. I do have a current set of GB's (made in England) that sound phenomenal.

I’ve had the first version T3120 (Marshall labeled; brighter) and a few 1982-83 with T3054(darker). And 4 reissues in an 800 cab. The reissue is right in between the brighter 1979 3120 and darker 3054…same tone just not dark or too bright. The mids/lows are the same with all. The new ones are a great reissue.

I haven't tried the reissues yet but I'd stay away from the WGS version. It bears little resemblance to an original G12-65.
Having played both pretty extensively (I have 2 WGS ET-65's in a 2x12, and used to play the 65's in a 4x12), I find the WGS a brighter speaker and a little more middy..where the original 65's sound smoother, a bit darker and less middy. I like both speakers and I really like the WGS with Marshall style amps.

Having played both pretty extensively (I have 2 WGS ET-65's in a 2x12, and used to play the 65's in a 4x12), I find the WGS a brighter speaker and a little more middy..where the original 65's sound smoother, a bit darker and less middy. I like both speakers and I really like the WGS with Marshall style amps.

I compared them both in two 4x12's side by side and broke them in for a long while to give them a chance and the ET-65's had a mid spike that seemed more V30'ish to my ears.

Racerxrated took the time, coached and helped me in my search for the ‘right’ 65’s loaded cab.
This one’s a 1980 with the T3120’s with the 1777 cones. Great sounding speakers, so much better than the one I tried a few years back with the 444 cones. It was a bit muddy in my opinion,
this one is REAL good
The closest to ‘the perfect’ cab I’ve had.
I actually prefer these speakers to all the greenback cabs I have including 6402 cones, Blackback 1777 cones, Blackback 444 cones and the real old vintage 102-003 cones.
These T3120 speakers have the magic warm woody crunch of the old 25w speakers with much more ‘solid’ intact, tight clarity in the bass.

Thanks, RacerX!
8C4B3EB1-99A5-4272-8935-3DAE55D5E885.jpeg

Last edited:
Racerxrated took the time, coached and helped me in my search for the ‘right’ 65’s loaded cab.
This one’s a 1980 with the T3120’s with the 1777 cones. Great sounding speakers, so much better than the one I tried a few years back with the 444 cones. It was a bit muddy in my opinion,
this one is REAL good
I actually prefer these speakers to all the greenback cabs I have including 6402 cones, Blackback 1777 cones, Blackback 444 cones and the real old vintage 102-003 cones.
These T3120 speakers have the magic warm woody crunch of the old 25w speakers with much more ‘sold’ intact clarity in the bass.

View attachment 109583
They are killer speakers...and if you can punish them a bit, really come alive with volume. But they do well at low/med volumes too. Any Marshall/Mesa/EVH/Naylor I've owned really like them as well.

I have the WGS version. They sound good to me. Been recording with them and played a few gigs with them. Ive tried the old ones, no idea which, but they sounded pretty dull.

There are like 6 different iterations of older 65’s. I even forget which ones I have. 🤣. They sound good though.

That said, lots of people seem to like the new ones, so they can’t be that bad.
Oh wow, didn't know that. I should've specified the ones I owned were from an '85 Marshall 412 JCM cab (speakers labeled Marshall). I had no idea there were 6 different versions. I don't know what specific cone they were as I didn't care to go that deep at the time back in '04. Guess I'll have to do a deep dive and research that for fun and knowledge.

Oh wow, didn't know that. I should've specified the ones I owned were from an '85 Marshall 412 JCM cab (speakers labeled Marshall). I had no idea there were 6 different versions. I don't know what specific cone they were as I didn't care to go that deep at the time back in '04. Guess I'll have to do a deep dive and research that for fun and knowledge.
Not sure if they are still like this, but back in the day celestion was crazy with all their revisions and such.

There is a crate blue voodoo combo with a set of g1265s at the shop, tempted to get it just for the speakers, but one is really tired with noticeable voice coil rub, so it would need a recone.

I had two WGS ET65's loaded into a 4x12 with two Scumback M65 Pulsonic clone greenbacks and the WGS mixed well with the Scumbacks. I didn't t hate the WGS by any means at all they were very complimentary of one another.

I have never heard a full 4x12 cabinet with the Heritage G1265 but the 8 ohm one in my 1x2 combo amp screams nices mids and a somewhat rolled off top end but almost perfect for any Marshall style amp IMHO and possibly an SLO where you want a greenback vibe but with power handling capability I don't think one can go wrong with the Heritage G1265.:2thumbsup:

this one is REAL good
These T3120 speakers have the magic warm woody crunch of the old 25w speakers with much more ‘sold’ intact clarity in the bass.

Thanks, RacerX!
View attachment 109583
Those sound like they are about as much UNOBTAINIUM as 0014 Pulsonic Pre_Rola Greenbacks............. I'd love to hear them!

this one is REAL good

Thanks, RacerX!
View attachment 109583
Racerxrated is a stand up human being! We are lucky to have him on this forum!

I have the WGS version. They sound good to me. Been recording with them and played a few gigs with them. Ive tried the old ones, no idea which, but they sounded pretty dull.
I tried a pair in an orange tolex SLO combo. The ET65 sounded like the darker 3054 from 82-83, which is to say they sounded good! But, like any/every WGS I’ve tried they wilt a bit under heavy volume. Celestions hold up far better imo.

There are like 6 different iterations of older 65’s. I even forget which ones I have. 🤣. They sound good though.

That said, lots of people seem to like the new ones, so they can’t be that bad.
Even more…over 30! But, apart from the 444 bass cones(looser sounding) and the ‘whizzer’ cones(JBL bright!) they all sound the same but the high end is either extended/reduced between them all. Same mids/lows. Haven’t played all myself but this is what I read over the years.

I’ve got a pair of G12-65s built in October 1981. They are, hands down, the best speakers I’ve used with my SLO. Once I got up to around 11:00 or beyond on the master, those speakers absolutely came alive. They drip with Greenback woodiness but have a very nice top end. I think these are the best speakers for brighter, mid heavy Marshall type amps. They just compliment that sound so well.
On the other hand, they wouldn’t be my first choice with darker amps. I love them, though.

Agreed what most have already said, as an owner of a few originals, a reissue Heritage and ex-owner of more originals and the WGS ET-65.

The difference between my '81 and the Heritage is in levels that could just as well be attributed to pure aging and component tolerances. Soundwise, they're mostly interchangeable, with the older ones being ever so 'sweeter'. The ET-65 to my ears was brighter and more middy, or just not as thick and juicy in the low-end.

From what you guys said, the same seems to happen with 1777 (=lead) vs. 444 (=bass) cones with this speaker, that I found that happened with the G12K-85; the 444 cone-versions were way too dull.

My main 'small' gigging cab -the Mesa 2x12 Vertical- uses a G12-65 (old) on top and a Mesa V30 on bottom. Sweet combination.

Back