Charvel “Dinky” body ?

PBGas

A question about the Charvel “Dinky” body.

Is it a really noticeable size difference from the regular Fender strat body? I’ve been led to believe that it is like 7/8’s of the size?

I really wasn’t looking to get a smaller-bodied guitar. I’d buy and EBMM if I wanted that.

I’m looking at ordering a Charvel that has this in it’s spec but on the fence about it due to the sizing.

Thoughts and help are always appreciated, Friends!

:rock:

It's really not noticeable. Not something you'd be like wow... this guitar is small. I've owned several and they are near the same size as a standard size body.

I think they're mostly a little thinner in the waist, and the horns have more cutaway. I have a charvel dinky reverse and a jackson dinky arch top. Still full size guitars, just a little slimmer.

mchn13":12fcqxxb said:
I think they're mostly a little thinner in the waist, and the horns have more cutaway. I have a charvel dinky reverse and a jackson dinky arch top. Still full size guitars, just a little slimmer.
Perfect assessment.

Yeah, not noticeable unless you hold one next to the other. 7/8-size, maybe... as above, slightly thinner waist, slightly deeper cutaways, the horns are slightly more narrow, the edge radius is sharper - not as rounded as a Strat. I've never been able to tell the difference when playing one or the other. Both feel like full size guitars, to me.

Yeah, that's a great summary. I have a Charvel 'strat' and a dinky next to each other and I don't notice any difference in terms of body size when I'm playing..

Well,Strat horns are rounded on the edges whereas the dinky horns are more square.

In fact, I think if one compares it to a FENDER strat body, all the edges are a little more square. Of course I could be totally wrong...I *think* my Charvel USA DeMartini Snake is a dinky body. The overall size doesn't really seem different, just the severity of the edges.

Rayneman":b0ik3kmq said:
Well,Strat horns are rounded on the edges whereas the dinky horns are more square.

In fact, I think if one compares it to a FENDER strat body, all the edges are a little more square. Of course I could be totally wrong...I *think* my Charvel USA DeMartini Snake is a dinky body. The overall size doesn't really seem different, just the severity of the edges.
The newer DeMartini Charvels are not the same Dinky bodies as the originals from the 80s...they are much closer to the classic Jackson Soloist, with deeper horns. So while Charvel is referring to it as a Dinky, it is more of a modern version. Think of it as "Dinky 2.0".

A classic late-80s 22 fret Dinky (mine pictured below) is virtually a standard Strat in size and shape; it just has sharper edge contours ala a Tele. The Suhr Standard model and the Tom Anderson Pro Am model are very similar.

Bronco":26zkwatr said:
Rayneman":26zkwatr said:

The newer DeMartini Charvels are not the same Dinky bodies as the originals from the 80s...they are much closer to the classic Jackson Soloist, with deeper horns. So while Charvel is referring to it as a Dinky, it is more of a modern version. Think of it as "Dinky 2.0".

A classic late-80s 22 fret Dinky (mine pictured below) is virtually a standard Strat in size and shape; it just has sharper edge contours ala a Tele. The Suhr Standard model and the Tom Anderson Pro Am model are very similar.
Yup
QVjDomDh.jpg

Much thanks to all of for the great descriptions and clarification! Can always count on the Rig-Talk friends for the right info!

Going to go for this and order!

:rock:

Back