Cheap SLO alternative thoughts?

itsme

So I have a 101B, BE100, and stock '82 JCM 800. I have an empty shelf in my amp rack that I'm thinking about throwing something on. I randomly grab an amp and speaker type for a gig and really enjoy adjusting/adapting to the different amps at the beginning of the night. (Last night 101b. Sounded killer). Anyway, I don't really need another amp, but was thinking about a cheap Soldanoish variant. What are your thoughts on the choice between a Peavey 5150, 5150+, or Mesa dual recto? Don't think I'm interested in the Soldano hot rods or avengers, which I know seems silly...

10043521.jpg

Recto for $600 to $800.

I'm told the MESA Rectifier series is somewhat an SLO circuit.

I would say either an old 5150 or an EVH5150III since they're allegedly based on the SLO.

Just save your money and bide your time. I've owned 2 5153s, and played a few rectos. Neither are very SLO like to me.

The peavey versions are closer to a slo then the 5153 but the hot rods are closer then them all. If it's cost get a jet city 100hdm.

You can sometimes find an HR50/100 for 1k. They are similar, but those DeYoung transformers in an SLO leave all other similar amps behind when you turn it up. I had an HR 100, cool amp.

I have an SLO and a 5153 Stealth, have had two 5153 non-Stealth and two 50w's. None sound like the SLO at all and the 5153 is about twice the size of an SLO.

Jet City 100 is basically a Soldano Hot Rod 100 which is going to get you closer than just about anything else to an SLO on the cheap

Mesa\Kramer":3kq3g5sj said:
Jet City 100 is basically a Soldano Hot Rod 100 which is going to get you closer than just about anything else to an SLO on the cheap

Truth. Plus you can have it modded to the same value of caps and resistors of the SLO and get you a little closer. I've modded both my 50 watt and 100 watt Jet City amps to 'SLO spec' (use that term loosely) and it really wakes them up.

Soldano HR25 sounds fantastic and SLO-like. I've played one and I have and had a few SLOs.

The other amps EVH, 5150, Rectifier don't come close IMHO. They are great amps but will not give you that Soldano sound.

Hmmm. Real SLO or HR25. Thanks for fueling my more expensive thoughts. Wife won't be happy...

I have $1200 into my SLO, which had one hour on it when I got it. But you'll never find a deal like that.

Rick Lee":1c8e3nvi said:
I have $1200 into my SLO, which had one hour on it when I got it. But you'll never find a deal like that.

And celebrity owned who obviously was drunk when he sold it for that price!! :D

SLOgriff":37helsh0 said:
Rick Lee":37helsh0 said:

And celebrity owned who obviously was drunk when he sold it for that price!! :D

I think it was celebrity owned, and his fixer wanted the pristine ES-335 I had in even trade. I had $1000 into the ES-335 and paid shipping both ways. The SLO came in a road case too.

Hey Reza, your SLO sounds wicked! In this case I would have to agree, save for 8 months more and get a used one. I am sure with a proper bias they all sound quite close to one another. Sometimes it is just worth getting the real deal. Have heard 6505+ get close but end of the day when they are back to back, you notice the clarity of the soldano. You can't unhear what you have heard and to me there is a difference.

Back