Curious how many guitarists jam and suck at theory?

  • Thread starter Thread starter justinl101
  • Start date Start date
2 posts in 6 years and that's the best you can come up with?

Guess your bot programming is 6 years out-of-date. :LOL:

:banhim::gethim:

Clint & Clyde - Bang!.gif
 
I'm just curious how many people out their consider them self's comfortable about finding the notes chords, and sounds they are after, yet don't grasp or want to use traditonal music theory thinking.
Are you looking for validation for lazy behavior or mental impairment? Asking for a friend.
 
I did about 1-2 years of lessens with only maybe two months into the notes and theory. You don’t need it! Some of the greatest guitarists are self taught. It’s the best way to develop your own sound. Play all the bad notes until you find the good ones. Some would even say there are no bad notes. Just gotta get good at bends and slides. Haha
 
I did about 1-2 years of lessens with only maybe two months into the notes and theory. You don’t need it! Some of the greatest guitarists are self taught. It’s the best way to develop your own sound. Play all the bad notes until you find the good ones. Some would even say there are no bad notes. Just gotta get good at bends and slides. Haha
Horrible advice, thanks for offering it.
 
Raising my hand! I go with the "feel" but I am trying to go out of that pattern, but it's not easy.
 
Raising my hand! I go with the "feel" but I am trying to go out of that pattern, but it's not easy.
If you can name the notes of your chords it makes it that much easier to find tasty target notes. It's all about chord tones and the color notes.
 
If you can name the notes of your chords it makes it that much easier to find tasty target notes. It's all about chord tones and the color notes.

This is one of those "jackasses on both extremes" debates. I think every guitar player benefits from a working knowledge of theory like that, along with some basics about scales, modes, and the circle of fifths. It's pretty much inarguable that it's helpful both in composition, as well as communication with other musicians.

OTOH, every "super theory obsessed" guitar player I know does nothing but navel gaze, dissect minutia, and get "lost in the sauce" as they say. Mostly jazz/bebop "big city elbow pads and newsboy cap" types, with a handful of "modern prog" guys. Their entire guitar world revolves around analyzing every fucking note of every fucking thing, and barely even involves playing the guitar anymore. Certainly they never actually take the time to write any music, because every time they try they end up endlessly fiddle fucking around with the endless options that advanced theory opens up.

Similarly though, it's almost the exact same for the "Hendrix/Clapton didn't know theory and therefore I don't need to learn it either" guys. They are stuck in a rut where they write absolutely nothing, play the same half dozen classic rock riffs they learned in high school, and desperately avoid interactions with other musicians of any standing because they will be "found out" if asked to improv over anything.

I have lost multiple students because I (gasp!) teach theory and "they didn't want to lose their style" lol

Yeah bro, your amazing personal style would be lost forever if you learned the names of the fucking notes on the fretboard ROFL
 
If you can name the notes of your chords it makes it that much easier to find tasty target notes. It's all about chord tones and the color notes.
I've been working on this. I've learned a few more chord shapes to understand what notes makes them. I still have a lot to digest but it keeps me inspired to grab a guitar almost daily.
 
I have lost multiple students because I (gasp!) teach theory and "they didn't want to lose their style" lol

I'm not a huge theory advocate but I would recommend two things to anyone playing guitar or other instrument:

1. Memorize the notes of every major scale (not necessarily just on the fretboard, but for sure know them in your head)

2. Learn the formulas for chord construction

You can do so much with those two things. Both of them don't require a guitar and aren't fun tasks but pay off huge later on. The willfully ignorant approach you mentioned some people being all about is almost always reflected in their playing.
 
I know the intervals so i can stay in key.

I don't know all the modes cold like i do the pents.

But since i know the intervals all i need to know is where the root 4 and 5 are then back into a mode that way.

I know chords up to the 9ths.

After that leave me alone
If someone asks me to play an
Ab5#3dim13 im belting him straight out in the jaw
 
Back
Top