David Lee Roth Fires Shots at Wolfgang Van Halen: ‘This F-ckin’ Kid’

The VH legacy just got smeared around like paint on a canvas at the end and it is just this grasping at straws thing. Wolfgang is representing Ed's legacy better than DLR or Sammy at this point.

The RRHOF was a shitshow and just a shame there was never those 4 up there for just one show before Ed got sick.

DLR, love his history and the music, but his stories just sound so dated now. "So there's this dame standing there, and I'm halfway thru a Smithfield hot dog from 48th street, you know, where the old Montgomery Ward's was where we would get our Walkmans". Dave, nobody understands you.
I agree with that take on Dave. he sounds like an old guy who tells too many stories that no one gives a shit about. It came into his music too. as he got older, he felt he had to jam in a lot more words and throwaway phrases too. If you listen to that last VH record he did, he is squeezing like 20 words into every line and it comes off poorly to me. The earlier stuff breathed better. But people change I guess.

It really is sad that VH never got the whole retrospective treatment that bands like Aerosmith and Metallica got as time went on. I think they never had solid management in the last 20 year and never could get their shit together. They left a lot of money on the table really. They should have reconciled with Sammy long before EVH went off the rails and we could have had more great music and they could done tours and box sets etc. I am sure they do not need the cash but their legacy would have been presented better.

I saw Dave at rib fest in the mid 2000's. Some worn out old bleach blonde was trying to get backstage. One blonde hag was his legion of groupies, then. The tour/road manager dude was reporting on his walkie talkie about her, surely to Dave, who I guess wasn't interested because they didn't let her back there. What a bunch of sorry ass losers. He started out Diamond Dave now he's just an old chunk of coal. Cant' sing. Looks like some gay businessman. He's a bum that rode the talent of the Van Halen brothers. Living on something that happened 40 years ago, I can't think of a more pathetic existence.

I saw Dave at rib fest in the mid 2000's. Some worn out old bleach blonde was trying to get backstage. One blonde hag was his legion of groupies, then. The tour/road manager dude was reporting on his walkie talkie about her, surely to Dave, who I guess wasn't interested because they didn't let her back there. What a bunch of sorry ass losers. He started out Diamond Dave now he's just an old chunk of coal. Cant' sing. Looks like some gay businessman. He's a bum that rode the talent of the Van Halen brothers. Living on something that happened 40 years ago, I can't think of a more pathetic existence.
For what Dave created with the guys from 78-85 (including Eat ‘em and Smile) he gets a pass for life for me. That was some Supernova shit right there and some of the rarest air any mortal could hope to breath. He’s not hurting anyone, hasn’t embezzled money from the band..has done nothing but just be himself, authentically his whole life. But hey, I don’t have to live with the guy or get his kombucha on demand either…😂

On the one hand, EVH could be a real asshole, and seemed to like to make his drinking everyone else's problem. Alex was loyal to his brother, but seemed to be less outwardly abrasive. Given the toxicity that was going on back then, especially towards the end, it's not at all impossible to think the WVH was capable of channeling some of that.

On the other hand, there's something to be said for taking the high road. I think DLR believes his own self-image just a little too much. He can't seem to not keep his mouth shut, and I'm pretty sure he thinks he comes across differently than he does. He's always been more entertainer than musician, and now he's nothing more than a spectacle.

^Agreed

I saw Van Halen on their last two tours. Eddie, Alex, and Wolfie absolutely tore it up both shows. Dave stunk it up.
Same

For what Dave created with the guys from 78-85 (including Eat ‘em and Smile) he gets a pass for life for me. That was some Supernova shit right there and some of the rarest air any mortal could hope to breath. He’s not hurting anyone, hasn’t embezzled money from the band..has done nothing but just be himself, authentically his whole life. But hey, I don’t have to live with the guy or get his kombucha on demand either…😂
Yep

Last edited:
Say what you want about Wolf, but that guy is a stupendous bass player. Listen to his playing on Tokyo Dome (if you can stomach Roth's vocals). He throws down. Lots of live YouTube stuff where he just kills. He can play bass for me any day.

On the one hand, EVH could be a real asshole, and seemed to like to make his drinking everyone else's problem. Alex was loyal to his brother, but seemed to be less outwardly abrasive. Given the toxicity that was going on back then, especially towards the end, it's not at all impossible to think the WVH was capable of channeling some of that.

On the other hand, there's something to be said for taking the high road. I think DLR believes his own self-image just a little too much. He can't seem to not keep his mouth shut, and I'm pretty sure he thinks he comes across differently than he does. He's always been more entertainer than musician, and now he's nothing more than a spectacle.
Agreed.

Again to be redundant as I said earlier in the thread I think it was past time for Dave to respond to Hagar. Afterall Sammy hasn't been able to keep his yap shut for two decades in regards to trashing Roth. And that fucktard even thinks his Van Hagar version was more successful when anyone with a brain can look at the numbers and add 2+2. I mean VH1 and 1984 alone outsold the entire Van Hagar catalog. Not mention Hagar saying before he joined VH his solo career was as big as VH. No Sammy, not in anyone's lifetime has that ever been the case.

However going after Wolfie, even if the kid deserved it doesn't do Dave any good. He loses there going after EVH's son not to mention perhaps burning bridges for things involving Van Halen that require both Dave and Wolfie's permission to be used. Bad move there Dave.

Last edited:
Yeah i mean before computer internet "content creators" where everyone is someone [or tries] there were mere mortals and Rockstars.
Grammys year Ed died i think played a 15 second video tribute.
DLR has earned a lifetime achievement award with me.
It was a helluva run. Pass the brown M&M's please.:cool:

Totally concur. His place in R&R history is secure and was richly earned.

If you read Greg's book, and it's not his VH fanboi'ism, he makes a pretty clear case for Dave having been the driving force that took VH from playing backyard keggers to the next level and then the next several levels. And they hated him back then and it took him more than one try to get into the band. The man was relentless and we need to be thankful he stuck with it. I'm as big a VH fanboi as anyone else here. But you have to realize that band was destined for obscurity or low-tier fame at best without Dave. Ed would have ended up as famous as Allan Holdsworth without Dave pushing that band. We all know Allan was a genius, but almost no one else does.

So tell me about your exciting life out there on the road, checking peoples post counts.
Sure. I enjoy calling people out on their own bullshit. It’s kind of my thing. And what do you mean by’road’? Forget about outer space man, Mankind has never ventured outside for anything. All pics of roads and the outdoors is all fake matrix projection. We’re all living in pods

Last edited:
Sure. I enjoy calling people out on their own bullshit. It’s kind of my thing. And what do you mean by’road’? Forget about outer space man, Mankind has never ventured outside for anything. All pics of roads and the outdoors is all fake matrix projection. We’re all living in pods
You sound like a crybaby more than anything.

Totally concur. His place in R&R history is secure and was richly earned.

If you read Greg's book, and it's not his VH fanboi'ism, he makes a pretty clear case for Dave having been the driving force that took VH from playing backyard keggers to the next level and then the next several levels. And they hated him back then and it took him more than one try to get into the band. The man was relentless and we need to be thankful he stuck with it. I'm as big a VH fanboi as anyone else here. But you have to realize that band was destined for obscurity or low-tier fame at best without Dave. Ed would have ended up as famous as Allan Holdsworth without Dave pushing that band. We all know Allan was a genius, but almost no one else does.
Yep. I also remember reading that he convinced them to dress up more, move around more and make the stage exciting.

Back