Do you think modelers will get there in the next 10 years?

BatmansRigTalk

If Gary Holt uses his Kemper profiles for the next Exodus release(as opposed to his actual amps he profiled), I will kidnap his ass and steal the thumb drive he keeps his profiles on.

You hear me,Gary?! I'm fucking coming for you!!

(I'm kinda kidding....kinda.....I promise to release him unharmed.)
While he was showcasing his ESP/LTD GH-600 he told the audience to get a Kemper and someone in the audience asked if he would share his profiles and he gave a blunt "NO" with a smile. Which tells you everything about how much he values his Kemper tones.

[ Donnie B. ]

Gary Holt and a an ESP?? Googled him and damn! He's changed a LOT since 'Animal Instinct' in the early 90s.
Wait a sec, I got the wrong Gary. Remember this guy? (sorry for the derail)

In the late 80s crate made Ss amps with gain channels that sounded dead nuts like tube amps. SOUNDED.

Feel wise, felt like plugging into a boom box. In the intervening 3 decades, nothing has changed.

Will ss devices sound like tube amps? Yes, a long time ago. Will they ever feel and respond like tube amps? Fuck no, at least not while anyone who knows the difference is still alive.

stratjacket

My wife swears by Chanel bags at $6000-$10000 each because they are made of the best materials yada yada yada. Does anyone who isn’t into Chanel bags have any argument why they would cost that kind of money when you can go to any department store on earth and buy a leather bag that’ll last your wife 10 years and only cost $100?
I justify my gear purchases by all the handbags my wife has. She’s been into Hermès and Fendi the last few years. Fucking HANDBAGS!! Pains me every time I look at it and think that’s a brand new Diezel Hagen she has draped across her shoulder. I tell her all the time there is no way the outside covering designed to protect what’s inside should have more value than what’s inside.

jabps

No!

But the caveat here is the more younger players use modeling etc... that is what they become accustom too. Essentially that becomes their reference point, that becomes the norm.

But digital etc... as advanced as they will ever get will never be able to fully replicate the nuances and imperfections of a tube amp. It simply cannot. They can even program in their own imperfections but still, it would be a digital imperfection trying to replicate something analog and in that regard, it's still a replication not analog.

Again, the future of tubes amps will be determined by the younger generation. And if they determine that a digital simulation that will never be 100% the real thing, is ok with them, then tubes amps will eventually fade away.

I still think we're a good bit away from that at this point though as tube amps are having a renaissance in many regards.

Last edited:

cardinal

Tube amps like will always be around and desirable to some, similar to '60s muscle cars. There's something visceral about them despite the fact that nearly all of them are slower than a new Toyota Camry. But a lot of folks will move on to modern technology to have the latest convenience.

guitarbilly74

yeah I don't think so. It's not about tube amps only, but analog and digital generated tones have a different imprint in a mix. Synth/keyboard is my second instrument and it's the same thing, analog synths and even analog drum machines are still very popular for this same reason. This is something most producers understand, even on prominently electronic styles like EDM or industrial. Any analog source will have a different texture/imprint than its digital counterpart even if they sound very similar. There's definitely a time and place for both but they are not the same.

Last edited:

Racerxrated

No!

But the caveat here is the more younger players use modeling etc... that is what they become accustom too. Essentially that becomes their reference point, that becomes the norm.

But digital etc... as advanced as they will ever get will never be able to fully replicate the nuances and imperfections of a tube amp. It simply cannot. They can even program in their own imperfections but still, it would be a digital imperfection trying to replicate something analog and in that regard, it's still a replication not analog.

Again, the future of tubes amps will be determined by the younger generation. And if they determine that a digital simulation that will never be 100% the real thing, is ok with them, then tubes amps will eventually fade away.

I still think we're a good bit away from that at this point though as tube amps are having a renaissance in many regards.
Well stated. The kids learning on/using digital have it great-lots of quality choices with tons of versatility. But I can only imagine, after 5 years of playing through a quality modeler, the first time he/she plugs into a NMV Marshall half stack and gives it some gas. Then they'll know what a REAL rig is really about!

aside

Well stated. The kids learning on/using digital have it great-lots of quality choices with tons of versatility. But I can only imagine, after 5 years of playing through a quality modeler, the first time he/she plugs into a NMV Marshall half stack and gives it some gas. Then they'll know what a REAL rig is really about!
I had this exact experience with my friend's son, who is 20 years my junior. He's been playing an Axe for a few years, never played a proper amp, and came to my studio one day, plugged into my 2203 and soiled his pants, front and back.

Tone Monster

I had this exact experience with my friend's son, who is 20 years my junior. He's been playing an Axe for a few years, never played a proper amp, and came to my studio one day, plugged into my 2203 and soiled his pants, front and back.
Greatness!

Racerxrated

Weight/transportation expense/convenience
This exactly. About 7 yrs ago I saw a Canadian metal band ‘Threat Signal’. They stopped locally for a quick gig in my neck o the woods. Both gps used the AXE II. Sounded great! Killer tone out front. Talked with one of them after their set and the AXE use was mostly about convenience...he had a nice collection of great tube amps at home and loved the fact that he could leave them there safe while taking the AXE on the road. But he wasn’t selling his tube amps. Ever.