EQ Pedals with Marshall Artist 3203 Questions

Charvel1975

Hey guys last night I hooked up my Marshall Artist to my Mesa 2x12 Tverb cab: amp set to 8 ohms to 16 ohm mono input on cab and tried using my MXR 6 band eq pedal I picked up not long ago thru the front end of amp first then thru the effects loop but in either of them I kept getting loud hiss and noisy feedback, even on the clean channel? :doh:

I haven't tried the other eq pedal I picked up yet, a danelectro fish n chips 7 band eq pedal but I wonder if I'm gonna get the same result? I'm still contemplating on picking up either a used Bogner Ecstasy Red pedal or a used Blackstar HT Dual 2 channel preamp pedal but I'm wondering because the amp doesn't have the C13 mod if I'll still be able to have a good clean channel and a really good distorted tone for drop B and also for standard tuning for playing other styles ie: hard rock/classic rock/80's metal/hair metal etc?

You got his through both front of amp and in the loop? No hiss without the pedal? If that's the case then I'd start with different cables, then a different pedal.

Mudder":smrjpr61 said:
You got his through both front of amp and in the loop? No hiss without the pedal? If that's the case then I'd start with different cables, then a different pedal.

The day that the MXR & Danelectro eq pedals showed up I tried each one thru the effects loop and thru the front end of my Mesa Tverb head and I didn't notice any noise or hiss from the Danelectro but the MXR I did although the hiss wasn't nearly as bad as thru the Marshall Artist 3203 head not to mention the feedback when using with the Marshall. Now I may have been running wrong ohms, the Marshall head only has a 4 or 8 ohm selector switch and the stock celestion vintage 30's in the Tverb cab are 16 ohms. The jack pate on the cab can be used for the following configurations:
•4 ohm mono
•8 ohm left + 8 ohm right stereo
•8 ohm left only mono
•8 ohm right only mono
•16 ohm mono

So I hooked up the Marshall head to the Tverb cab again and tried both EQ pedals again....I ran the head at 4 ohms into the mono 4 of the cab and that part I knew would be right. Other thing I didn't think about was the effects loop, the Mesa for sure has a parallel loop where I think I read online my Marshall Artist 3203 has a Series loop so that could be the problem there?

Back