EVH and Fender amps

MrDowntown

Eds known/was known for his marshalls and later the EVH lines. But, I've seen lots of photos of him plugged in to Fender stuff. So what's the story, if anyone knows.

I've read in the very early years he cut his teeth on old Bassman. I've read that the original Marshall circuits Fender circuits (copied I guess). Not sure how accurate that story is...

so, as much as a fan of Ed I am, I'm not sure I'm versed in why the transition over to Marshall gear? And the photos of where he's plugged up to Fender stuff...usually a backstage or "practice/warmup" amp? Was it because the Fender stuff was smaller and sounded better at jam levels vs concert levels? Or did he just openly, but secretLy, love Fender amps.

Not a Bassman, a white Bandmaster. He said that was the best sound he ever got, sitting at home, plugged into the extension speaker jack only and cranking it on 10 so it would fuzz out at low volume...like a brown out.

I think we all have this picture of Ed with one "setup" and probably because he was so hush-hush about his gear. I think he loved all types of gear and dabbled behind the scenes and perfected his sound, trying different things. Then I think his live setup was a combination of all of the components.

Everyone always pictured Eddie doing the whole first album with Frankenstein and then we find out he recorded a lot of songs with a Gibson Explorer. Same thing with a Gibson pickup in a Fender Strat, etc. I think Eddie probably likes the "cleaner" tone of a Fender but that crunch of a Marshall. Pretty interesting though about the Fender connection.

I always wonder to myself..how much these guys actually remember about what they used in the studio. I'll be honest, I don't remember everything I used from an album I recorded 12 years ago. I remember the gear that was in the room for the most part but I was switching out guitars, pedals, amps left and right. I feel like sometimes interviewers think guitarists are being intentionally vague about their gear when in reality they probably just don't remember.

I always wonder to myself..how much these guys actually remember about what they used in the studio. I'll be honest, I don't remember everything I used from an album I recorded 12 years ago. I remember the gear that was in the room for the most part but I was switching out guitars, pedals, amps left and right. I feel like sometimes interviewers think guitarists are being intentionally vague about their gear when in reality they probably just don't remember.

That is a good point man.

To the original poster, the first Marshall, the JTM, was essentially a clone of a 59 Fender Bassman. We typically think of the Fender sound as loud and clean, which was the goal of the Blackface amps, but those old tweed Fenders are pure rock n roll when they’re cranked.

To the original poster, the first Marshall, the JTM, was essentially a clone of a 59 Fender Bassman. We typically think of the Fender sound as loud and clean, which was the goal of the Blackface amps, but those old tweed Fenders are pure rock n roll when they’re cranked.

Ok...makes sense. so, The pics of Ed backstage, riffing, warming up (whatever he was doing) using smaller lower wattage Fender amps. Obviously he dug them (Fender amps). So did Marshall not make a small wattage practice amp he liked or did he just like Fender power tube breakup more/better. Not trying to over analyze this...just curious.

Thanks for the input and thoughts

Eds known/was known for his marshalls and later the EVH lines. But, I've seen lots of photos of him plugged in to Fender stuff. So what's the story, if anyone knows.

I've read in the very early years he cut his teeth on old Bassman. I've read that the original Marshall circuits Fender circuits (copied I guess). Not sure how accurate that story is...

so, as much as a fan of Ed I am, I'm not sure I'm versed in why the transition over to Marshall gear? And the photos of where he's plugged up to Fender stuff...usually a backstage or "practice/warmup" amp? Was it because the Fender stuff was smaller and sounded better at jam levels vs concert levels? Or did he just openly, but secretLy, love Fender amps.
I think you may be over thinking it. I think most of the pics you see of Eddie with a Marshall combo backstage are just practice amps. It would be a little overwhelming to have one of his Marshall heads and 412 in a little backstage space. Plus Fender combos are easy to find if you need one. It is also fairly well known that Jim Marshall got his start by heavily lifting the 5F6-A Fender circuit design. But yeah, I'm sure Ed played lots of stuff and didn't remember half of it as japetus said. Just not sure he 'transitioned' over to Marshall gear necessarily. But yeah, Eddie went to Fender to create EVH and they make most of that gear.

Back