Floyd Rose 1000 Series Floyd Are GARBAGE

scottosan

Some of people think these are the same quality only made in Korea. This couldn’t be further from the truth.

First, the coating and/or fit of the screws is not nearly as smooth nor are they as receptive and fit to the Allen wrenches. The 1000series screws seem more painted versus the German being thin coated. The fine tuners on the 1000 series are longer and have different dimension thumb grip dimensions as well. The German screws are smooth, whereas the 1000s are far from smooth. The bar and couplers are also cheap and low quality on the 1000s. At a bare minimum you’d need to upgrade all screws, bar and coupler to at least get the feel correct. That’s close to $40+ right there. Personally, I’m pulling it out and just bought a German Floyd right now and using the MF current 15% discount and will likely list my 1000 to offset set the cost. Not impressed.

Last edited:
The 1000's do have some shortcomings. I certainly always have to lube the fine tuners, I always upgrade the springs, and the plating is lame. But, once set up, they definitely do their job. Only problem I ever had was with an EVH brand Floyd 1000 on a WG Special. It was a hot mess.. I almost smashed that guitar to pieces, but sent it back to save my sanity.

Apparently Dustie Waring chose the 1000 for his sig PRS because he liked the arm better. Seems harsh to call them garbage, but ultimately I've heard the Gotoh is king.

hujdxWZEfWH-y6Yh7l1cuS_0c69u5M8nulyUgJEYxNi6H3oKTztOzRM2SyBScIsb5kBS4QPPc5t_REULGXIt1Ll75ISDXm7LdUb7uzUvfd2mcjRv5QCYqQ-cl1gRWyFYLr1tzTE9CQ=w2400

Does a Jackson DK2 need any modifications to take a Gotoh?
you need to drill out the posts. I have seven Jacksons at the moment with four Gotoh, two Schaller and one OFR. They all do great. My Charvels have OFR and I love them too

you need to drill out the posts. I have seven Jacksons at the moment with four Gotoh, two Schaller and one OFR. They all do great. My Charvels have OFR and I love them too

I have a Dinky and been wanting to put a Gotoh on it. Sounds like it's above my pay grade. Might have to get one and let the pros do it.

Does a Jackson DK2 need any modifications to take a Gotoh?
Not sure. The gotoh has a 16” radius. The OFR has a 12”. Without shimming the saddles, on a compound radius, your ADGB strings will be higher off the board than your E’s. I personally can’t stand it. The Gotoh is typically a drop in replacement for a Floyd with the exception of the posts which are 11mm bs 10mm, but will work fine using stock Floyd posts

Apparently Dustie Waring chose the 1000 for his sig PRS because he liked the arm better. Seems harsh to call them garbage, but ultimately I've heard the Gotoh is king.

hujdxWZEfWH-y6Yh7l1cuS_0c69u5M8nulyUgJEYxNi6H3oKTztOzRM2SyBScIsb5kBS4QPPc5t_REULGXIt1Ll75ISDXm7LdUb7uzUvfd2mcjRv5QCYqQ-cl1gRWyFYLr1tzTE9CQ=w2400
The arm can be swapped with a $3 coupler that is compatible with either the German or 1000 base player

I've gigged with the USA Charvels from 2012-2017 and all had the stock 1000...lots of gigs and never had a problem. I have switched them out for OFRs in the last couple years; but for no other reason than just boredom. The tone and feel are the same as before.

Now, if we are talking about a Floyd Special then yes they are garbage. But I wouldn't say the 1000s are garbage. They function just fine, and to my ears/hands aren't that different than the OFRs I use now.
OFRs are the best, no doubt. I had a Schaller on an older Hamer USA that the blade chipped and that was it...ruined. Those had separate blade inserts. Not a good design.

I've gigged with the USA Charvels from 2012-2017 and all had the stock 1000...lots of gigs and never had a problem. I have switched them out for OFRs in the last couple years; but for no other reason than just boredom. The tone and feel are the same as before.

Now, if we are talking about a Floyd Special then yes they are garbage. But I wouldn't say the 1000s are garbage. They function just fine, and to my ears/hands aren't that different than the OFRs I use now.
OFRs are the best, no doubt. I had a Schaller on an older Hamer USA that the blade chipped and that was it...ruined. Those had separate blade inserts. Not a good design.
they are as stable and stay in tune, But, it’s exactly the feel that I don’t like. I think almost any Floyd user could tell the difference blindfold with just the fine tuners alone. A new arm/coupler and dime German fine tuners would be the best $30 upgrade to these.

Gibson uses these Korean trems on the axcess line. They are not the same, they wear faster, fine tuners are not nearly as smooth with less range, and you can see the saddles are made differently it's obvious. I replaced them with 1984 FR's and it really is an improvement.

What Original Floyd Rose drops right into a MIM Charvel San Dimas? Need to replace/upgrade mine its worn out.

I have the 1000 on the new Henrik Danhage Charvel I got. The arm on it is lousy. No problem to replace. The saddles are not spaced the same as the OFR. I tried putting my Graphtec locking saddles on and they don’t fit correctly width-wise. I ended up getting a new OFR baseplate as well as a new OFR block and will put on some of my other OFR parts left over and use that. I changed out the screw in studs as well as those are not the same material as the OFR units.

So, I'm looking on Ebay and I see some confusing things...I see OFRs with the 'made in Germany' stamp on the bottom of the base plate, yet they have the larger fine tuners like those that come with the FR 1000..??
Not brand new, but pulled as an "OEM" from another guitar...everything else looks right though. Square saddle backs not beveled....

Are the Chinese cloning these and putting a made in Germany stamp?

Some of people think these are the same quality only made in Korea. This couldn’t be further from the truth.

First, the coating and/or fit of the screws is not nearly as smooth nor are they as receptive and fit to the Allen wrenches. The 1000series screws seem more painted versus the German being thin coated. The fine tuners on the 1000 series are longer and have different dimension thumb grip dimensions as well. The German screws are smooth, whereas the 1000s are far from smooth. The bar and couplers are also cheap and low quality on the 1000s. At a bare minimum you’d need to upgrade all screws, bar and coupler to at least get the feel correct. That’s close to $40+ right there. Personally, I’m pulling it out and just bought a German Floyd right now and using the MF current 15% discount and will likely list my 1000 to offset set the cost. Not impressed.
I had a 2016/2017 MIM Charvel with one and I have to agree with you... the quality just wasn't there, it just felt cheap, like it was pot metal compared to my OFR's from the 80's. They are fine if you are a beginner or don't mind the lower end quality for the price point but they definitely are not in the same category material or quality wise.

Back