FORTIN's Evil Pumpkin – Made in China?

Speeddemon":1xm1yjre said:
nightlight":1xm1yjre said:
that 2nd clip actually suffers from what a lot of smaller EL84 amps exhibit and you can read some guy in the comments complained about this too; the neck EMG pickup in use might be the culprit.
It has this singing, but congested quality in the lead sound. Most notable in the lower mids. That specific tone made me get rid of the Tubemeister 18 and Carvin V3m; while I didn't even use EMG's, those amps still did this when using a passive neck pickup on a Les Paul.
I'm looking for that more open and snappy 'Sweet Child o Mine' intro tone...not Santana's leftovers.

Mesa Mini Rectifier, same thing. Actually, my DC-5 does it to some extent too. The first EL84 lunchbox amp I encountered that didn't suffer from this, was the Engl Ironball. Later I read that Engl uses some hefty pre-gain hi-pass filtering (/90Hz) that most likely helps with getting rid of any mud.

I had a Mesa Mark V:25. It actually sounded tiny compared to my 100-watters. I think the transformer was the problem.

As far as EMGs, I think some of the newer designs rectified that congesion. Had a 57-8 and 66-8 in an Ibanez RG1820X for a while and it really kicked ass.

As far as Larry, I found that his relationship with Fortin seems to have soured sometime this year or maybe late last year.

Behold, an old thread on Rig Talk: viewtopic.php?f=95&t=199198

Hamer95USA wrote:

Welcome to the forum, Larry!

Thank you and welcome to you also!

Hamer95USA wrote:
I love the sounds that I heard in the clips of the Dino 962 amp head.

There are no clips of the DINO 962 yet, nowhere.
You presumably have heard very old clips of the DINO 939, which I've quickly taken back in 2006 especially for Mike Fortin on his request, to decide about ordering a DINO
These clips meanwhile absolutely aren't reference of the sound quality of my current DINO 939 and DINO 962 models.

Hamer95USA wrote:
Unfortunately, I've never seen, heard, or played through a Larry Dino 962 amp head in the U.S. The sounds are good to me and the build quality is excellent. Do you plan on having a U.S. distributor in the western United States?

No I don't plan to have a distributor in the USA anywhen in future, because my annual output of amps is much too low.
But soon I can give you the contact of someone in Orlando/FL, where you can try a DINO 962 in his studio.

How many people in this thread slapped down money and are in the queue?
Curious how this works with the 5 year wait. Dude is clearly older and enjoying a semi-retirement, embracing the notion of taking months off at a time. What clips are you hearing that sucked you into this order? Or is it just word of mouth from some inner circle of tone gods that recommended this amp?

I heard The Evil Pumkin is a myth and that Fortin can no longer aquire the parts needed to produce more so they used Covid-19 as a cover up to cancel the pre orders.

Looks like these guys are in cohorts like I said on page 7.

Krull":1kjfgyxc said:
I want whatever nightlight is smoking cause he’s clearly out of his mind.

I wish I was smoking something. Jeez, this thread...

We only need to go over the last 27 pages to see you going against the odds to keep posting on this thread. In just the first 10, I'm guessing everyone was telling you what a troll you were and how you were just a stool pigeon.

I guess everyone must have got bored but me?

Still waiting to see the "death threat" quote...

Do you own a Fortin amp, btw? I fail to see why you're so valiant in the face of abject failure over and over again. Maybe your signature should indicate some kind of affiliation/paid for services?

You should be upfront about that without fear.

From that thread I linked to, looks like Mike Fortin was considering whether to buy a Larry Dino of some variant at some point of time.

Larry seemed quite happy to name drop, not surprising.

maddnotez":u6a4htse said:
I heard The Evil Pumkin is a myth and that Fortin can no longer aquire the parts needed to produce more so they used Covid-19 as a cover up to cancel the pre orders.

I’m confused why they are able to continue making Sigils right now but the EP is delayed?

DeathbyButterslax":1kh3b4e5 said:
maddnotez":1kh3b4e5 said:

I’m confused why they are able to continue making Sigils right now but the EP is delayed?

I don't think they've taken pre-orders on the EP. They were saying May from the beginning.

mhenson42":224pygcz said:
DeathbyButterslax":224pygcz said:
maddnotez":224pygcz said:

I don't think they've taken pre-orders on the EP. They were saying May from the beginning.

The website changed twice. It said March Pre-orders, April pre-orders and now it says indefinitely delayed due to COVID-19 lock down. Which is curious because they have it on the site that they are doing their next Sigil pre-order

That was exhausting. I just wanted to see if the amp was made in China or not. Still don’t know. But I know that Larry has way too much time on his hands. Im probably gonna stay away from fortin and larry, both are childish to argue on the internet. Stay safe.

DeathbyButterslax":1o9tosf9 said:
mhenson42":1o9tosf9 said:
DeathbyButterslax":1o9tosf9 said:
maddnotez":1o9tosf9 said:

The website changed twice. It said March Pre-orders, April pre-orders and now it says indefinitely delayed due to COVID-19 lock down. Which is curious because they have it on the site that they are doing their next Sigil pre-order

I didn't make up what I said :D

Worries me....Because TBH, that EP sounds SICK and I was looking forward to posting NAD-Not a Larry thread some time but if what I heard is accurate and the EP does later come out then what? They sourced different parts now? Will it be the same amp as NAMM? Will it sound the same? Legitimate concerns for a $3,000 price tag.

Edit: I have been following this amp and another thing I noticed. I could be wrong here but didnt they have a separate play through video of the EP with Jason at his home on their website which has now been removed?

Hopefully I'm wrong here and the factory in which the amps are made at is shut down until further notice due to covid19 but......I did hear this info I posted and it wasn't from just some random person.

kkeing":31eay0rd said:
That was exhausting. I just wanted to see if the amp was made in China or not. Still don’t know. But I know that Larry has way too much time on his hands. Im probably gonna stay away from fortin and larry, both are childish to argue on the internet. Stay safe.
:LOL: :LOL:

To be accurate, Fortin has not chimed in on this thread right? So feel free to look elsewhere for an amp but doing so because he engaged in this nonsense is inaccurate.

crankyrayhanky":3o5hmyle said:
kkeing":3o5hmyle said:
:LOL: :LOL:

To be accurate, Fortin has not chimed in on this thread right? So feel free to look elsewhere for an amp but doing so because he engaged in this nonsense is inaccurate.

... that we know of. ;)

He did have his 2 proxy sub bottom fluffers posting though. Krullatio and Zack Khunty.
Krullatio and Khunty... sounds like a law office in the Tenderloin district in SF, CA.

:LOL: :LOL: :yes:

bhuard75":1i2xv4lt said:
These boutique amp builders can kiss my ass with their $4k+ amps :). 27pages jesus LOL

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Back