Gol Damn Jon sounds like shit...

Once you have all that money.. you have to be honest with yourself and ask "why" you are doing it. Don't be selfish and say it is for the fans because they aren't getting their money's worth. Do other stuff. Maybe mentor bands, do session work or work with younger bands and help write tunes etc..
Exactly! 100%

I haven’t read this thread in it’s entirety so I’m not opposed to nor surprised getting my ass kicked in by my own doings in this post:

For every person saying that Jon can’t sing well (including Jon himself) and suggests he’s doing it only for the money, there are legions of fans that would be disappointed and more than upset if he called it quits. And I imagine Jon feels a certain loyalty and obligation to those people who have followed him all these years.

Attending a Bon Jovi concert for many people is more about a good feeling , the fever of a crowd with common adoration for Bon Jovi and the memories his music brings, singing along . Smiling with and hi-fiving the stranger standing next to you. Not about the quality of musicianship.
I would wager that if Ritchie came back wearing his cowboy hat playing his classic guitars with star inlays and double neck, throngs of fans would be thrilled even if he played out of tune and hit a few clams during solos.

My .005 (2cents adjusted for inflation)

I haven’t read this thread in it’s entirety so I’m not opposed to nor surprised getting my ass kicked in by my own doings in this post:

For every person saying that Jon can’t sing well (including Jon himself) and suggests he’s doing it only for the money, there are legions of fans that would be disappointed and more than upset if he called it quits. And I imagine Jon feels a certain loyalty and obligation to those people who have followed him all these years.

Attending a Bon Jovi concert for many people is more about a good feeling , the fever of a crowd with common adoration for Bon Jovi and the memories his music brings, singing along . Smiling with and hi-fiving the stranger standing next to you. Not about the quality of musicianship.
I would wager that if Ritchie came back wearing his cowboy hat playing his classic guitars with star inlays and double neck, throngs of fans would be thrilled even if he played out of tune and hit a few clams during solos.

C'mon....

I tend to agree with Jim.

I say this in almost every thread about x-singer can't sing anymore. I think people are willing to pay big bucks to see their hero's one more time and don't really care about the poor singing. I really do. Especially post Covid when a lot of concerts got cancelled. He's 60 and still jumping around on a stage so I give him credit for that. I doubt they are doing it for the money.

Now, if it is a pure money grab like (fill in the blank here) and the audience is expecting a fully functioning singer - then that is something else.

IMO

That is a legit angle on the situation but he doesn't need to tour to keep his die hard fans happy. If it wasn't about the money, he would be doing something like Ritche Blackmore did. Something musical that he can sustain and keep his fans fed with BJ goodness.

well, im sure his crew has over 100 people and probably 15 tractor trailers worth of gear which is all probably rented out, all the booking agents, the pilots and mechanics working on his private jets... many people would be out of work if he was to hang it up

Yeah I thought of that too. But that's the business and you can't tell me they are doing all that for their production crew and roadies. Out of the goodness of their hearts they want to keep these people employed. With a rig that big and so many moving parts, no way they know these guys by first name. Yes it is a nice idea but it is a business not a charity and they aren't doing their job on stage well anymore. Everyone is tired and bored. Hell the roadies probably want a change of scene now.

Reactions: Geo
Yeah I thought of that too. But that's the business and you can't tell me they are doing all that for their production crew and roadies. Out of the goodness of their hearts they want to keep these people employed. With a rig that big and so many moving parts, no way they know these guys by first name. Yes it is a nice idea but it is a business not a charity and they aren't doing their job on stage well anymore. Everyone is tired and bored. Hell the roadies probably want a change of scene now.

I’d assume he has some kind of live nation lifetime contract like most of the mega stars do now, I have a feeling we will be having this same discussion in 20 years lol

I LOVE OZZY, but i still think he totally done. however sharon is still propping his old ass up there with all the tricks in the book to make him sound good to keep the brand and cash flow going. she has been for 20+ years.
Who is propping Bonald Jovi up out there? and even more important who is the fucking audience!? who won't let him go down with some dignity? he hasn't had a hit in 25+ years has he?

I´d say a bit over 20 years, It's my life was a legit hit back around 2000, at least in Europe.

I get why people still go for the 80s bands nostalgia thing and its all good. I am over that era. I still like the tunes, but I do not bother to even go see those bands for free at this point. To me, rock n roll bands all have a shelf life and it is best left alone on my end. I have seen many guys past their prime still touring and it is a bummer for me. I think Dokken was the worst I have heard. For bands like Bon Jovi - the money is still there to be made so go make it right? But for these lesser hair metal bands that tour the fair circuit with 1 original member, I just do not get it. But I have many friends that get excited over those shows so what do I know?

I get why people still go for the 80s bands nostalgia thing and its all good. I am over that era. I still like the tunes, but I do not bother to even go see those bands for free at this point. To me, rock n roll bands all have a shelf life and it is best left alone on my end. I have seen many guys past their prime still touring and it is a bummer for me. I think Dokken was the worst I have heard. For bands like Bon Jovi - the money is still there to be made so go make it right? But for these lesser hair metal bands that tour the fair circuit with 1 original member, I just do not get it. But I have many friends that get excited over those shows so what do I know?
Some bands like The Scorpions and Iron Maiden are still bringing it, some bands are obviously not.

I´d say a bit over 20 years, It's my life was a legit hit back around 2000, at least in Europe.
His last hit album was 2009 in terms of traditional gold, platinum sales. Music is consumed in so many different ways now but still, he's moved alot of product.

I agree with @JimAnsell and @311splawndude, if people are still paying and finding enjoyment in it, more power to the artist and fan. It's kinda like Kiss, I'm a massive fan but there's nothing "sacred" about them or any artist, in the end they're just rock bands or singers etc... and if people want to pay to have a good time then have at it. I swore I would never see Kiss again after the first "Farewell Tour" in 99-2000 and I didn't until this last go around for several reasons. One, I've seen them too many times to count, I've seen them when they were the biggest band in the world and I've seen them when they couldn't fill an arena and all spots in between - those memories were enough for me. But my kid needed to see a legit legendary band and rock show. So I ate crow, took him and it was priceless. He had a blast. I had fun. So what that Paul can't sing anymore, so what that they move in slow motion. They're freakin' 70 years old but the sold out arena couldn't have cared less. And my son still talks about that concert.

The whole, they need to retire thing, I'm over that...if fans dig it and they are willing to pay for it then so what. Have at it.

Back