Guess the amp... Revealed

I had the RG80, definitely a tube like feel going on. I would pick the Randall over the Katana on pure tone, def the most tubelike SS out there IMO.

Sounds great Dave! I would have never guessed it right.

Kapo_Polenton":2o53tuxf said:
Thank god it wasn't an AXE... that's all I care about.

lol. #metoo

I think the Axe sounds great in recordings though. Side-by-side next to a tube amp is where things fall apart with the Axe for me.

I love those old solid state Randalls...I used one back in the late 80's cause of the Lynch connection, great amps!!

Your clip sounded awesome to me :rock:

Sounds great Dave. Do another clip with a PQ-3 in front of it !

I have one of those amps and the SD-1 pedal, I’m going to break them out tonight and have a go. I got the amp from CL for $200 with a broken power toggle (amp works, it’s broken in the on position, I need to change it) and I’ll plug it into a Mesa half back with Eminence Private Jacks in it (their Greenback “clone”) and I’ll throw a delay in the loop. If it sounds like that I’ll be psyched. How did you set the amp and pedal ? Can you post a pic of the settings please ?

Randall should REALLY put the guts of that amp in a pedal (the whole 100 Watts, not the 1 or 3 watt one they made/make), there is NOTHING inside the headshell, and I would gig that amp-pedal if it sounded as good as that clip and was that easy to move. With surface mount technology there’s no way they can’t make that a reasonable size and weight.

paulyc":200xudnh said:
Sounds great Dave. Do another clip with a PQ-3 in front of it !

I have one of those amps and the SD-1 pedal, I’m going to break them out tonight and have a go. I got the amp from CL for $200 with a broken power toggle (amp works, it’s broken in the on position, I need to change it) and I’ll plug it into a Mesa half back with Eminence Private Jacks in it (their Greenback “clone”) and I’ll throw a delay in the loop. If it sounds like that I’ll be psyched. How did you set the amp and pedal ? Can you post a pic of the settings please ?

Randall should REALLY put the guts of that amp in a pedal (the whole 100 Watts, not the 1 or 3 watt one they made/make), there is NOTHING inside the headshell, and I would gig that amp-pedal if it sounded as good as that clip and was that easy to move. With surface mount technology there’s no way they can’t make that a reasonable size and weight.

Here are the settings. The only thing I changed since the picture was the reverb. It was set at 9 o’clock (for reference, I set it to where the reverb was just audible). As previously mentioned I was using two Mesa traditional cabs. Nothing else... no slaving or set/dry/wet (although using wet dry wet sound killer). I was using my white Charvel with maple neck/alder body loaded with a Suhr Aldrich pickup.

I would like to mention I had a RG100ES years ago from 1987 and the one I have now sounds a lot better.

Also, I don’t own a PQ-3 anymore, otherwise I would slam the front along with a MXR EQ for some pantera tones.

Don’t discount the old Randall’s. Killer amps. I had a Century 200 for years that I loved until a crazy dude with too much cash bought it for $3000 a couple weeks ago. I know those were rare but geez!!! Still have an 80’s Rg80es in red alligator tolex sitting around somewhere.

i have a 80s rg100es and century 200II, both with matching cabs. they are cool but i always liked my vh140c more

My first amp head was an RG120 with the matching cab with G12M70's that my mother bought me in 1986 lol.. My amp had a pull gain on it so I never used pedals. Sold it to start my rack affair beginning with an ADA MP-1 and a shitty Crate SS power amp..

I still have the cab unloaded but it's all MDF and weighs a ton. I used to drag that around as a kid!

Nice, those are underrated amps. The older the better and yours looks like one of the earliest.

Were you running with the treble boost pulled?

paulyc":ltcd7vd5 said:
psychodave":ltcd7vd5 said:
PeteLaramee":ltcd7vd5 said:
Cool. Is that the 80's solid state amp that Lynch used?

Lynch, Dime Bag, Criss Oliva... were the big names.
Criss Oliva used a Randall ??? Tell me more Dave ! What else did he use ?
I always thought Oliva used a massive power amp, or even a Bass amp with 2 SD1s stacked for his rig?

Racerxrated":3nvq26fy said:
paulyc":3nvq26fy said:
psychodave":3nvq26fy said:
PeteLaramee":3nvq26fy said:
Cool. Is that the 80's solid state amp that Lynch used?

Lynch, Dime Bag, Criss Oliva... were the big names.
Criss Oliva used a Randall ??? Tell me more Dave ! What else did he use ?
I always thought Oliva used a massive power amp, or even a Bass amp with 2 SD1s stacked for his rig?
The Edge also used these Randalls.

There’s an interview of Lynch somewhere where he talks about working with Don Randall to develop those old RG’s. They basically took one of Lynch’s Jose modded plexis and made a solid state version. Hence the Jose type diode gain boost switch.

Damn, that sounds killer. My guitarist and I played those (rack version) in the early 90's. We boosted them with Loco boxes and rack eq's through the loop and they sounded killer. Great amp!

Snave":1f6brb4j said:
Nice, those are underrated amps. The older the better and yours looks like one of the earliest.

Were you running with the treble boost pulled?

Mine is from 1986... carpet and all. :LOL: :LOL:

Yes, I had the treble boost pulled.

As someone else mentioned, I believe it was copied off of a Jose modded Marshall.

Back