Guitar Sound or Tone you are bored with?

I think Eddie was a fantastic rhythm player, but I agree a lot of his leads seem like gibberish🤷

I respect his talent and influence, certainly, but I think alot of players grew up with guitarists influenced more by Ritchie Blackmore, Schenker, Wolf Hoffman, and Uli Roth rather than by Eddie.

That whole "pentatonics, major scale, plus chromatics" style is simply boring/unappealing to people who listened to underground players, instead of the LA hair scene - at least in my case, and with alot of my IRL buddies. I imagine it's the same with dudes here.

The rhythmic phrasing indeed IS tasty, but the melodic sensibilities ride dangerously close to Dr Rockzo the metalocalypse clown to anyone who grew up idolizing the guitar in Bad Brains or Coroner instead of Ratt and Crüe.
Fine 😒.................😍

I think Eddie was a fantastic rhythm player, but I agree a lot of his leads seem like gibberish🤷
Yeah, I thought I was in the minority about this opinion, but I have always admired Ed's rhythm work, but some of his solos are downright cringey.

Not to say there isn't some stellar soloing in his repertoire - there certainly is.

But on many, many songs, it seems like the producer/band told him there had to be a solo because everyone expected it, so he just did another bump and just went ape-shit on the fretboard.

Yeah, I thought I was in the minority about this opinion, but I have always admired Ed's rhythm work, and some of his solos are downright cringey.

Not to say there isn't some stellar soloing in his repertoire - there certainly is.

But on many, many songs, it seems like the producer/band told him there had to be a solo because everyone expected it, so he just did another bump and just went ape-shit on the fretboard.

It's definitely a vibe, and his rhythmic phrasing is iconic for sure

But I think a lot of EVH superfans assume EVERYONE who plays guitar is totally obsessed with 80s mainstream rock, and grew up obsessed with that style, note choice, and those tones

And that simply isn't the case

I can 100% appreciate his style and influence on others, but it's not something I would choose to listen to voluntarily

But I think a lot of EVH superfans assume EVERYONE who plays guitar is totally obsessed with 80s mainstream rock, and grew up obsessed with that style, note choice, and those tones

I can 100% appreciate his style and influence on others, but it's not something I would choose to listen to voluntarily
I never could stand DLR's idiotic whoops or Sammy's boneheaded lyrics, but was always fan of Ed's playing.

When we got ahold of the ISO guitar tracks many years ago, I became a new EVH convert all over again because we finally got to hear his virtuosity in a whole new light.

I never could stand DLR's idiotic whoops or Sammy's boneheaded lyrics, but was always fan of Ed's playing.

When we got ahold of the ISO guitar tracks many years ago, I became a new EVH convert all over again because we finally got to hear his virtuosity in a whole new light.

It's just not "my" guitar universe

This is "my" version of hot for teacher

And this is "my" I'm the one

And this is "my" ain't talking bout love

In all of these cases, you can hear how different the stylistic choices are from EVH 🤷

I like the Peavey 5150 sound, personally.

Can't say The Blackening sounds ANYTHING like Clayman, for example. Plenty of ways to dial in that amp.

I guess it's a generational thing. I don't agree with people that think Metallica or Megadeth is the apex of the Metal sound. I like The Black Album's tone as much as the next guy, but I mean...

The kind of tones that I'm bored off is the whole Doom thing with the Sunn or whatever amp.

Or the whole "you need mids to cut through the mix" approach from people with no experience mixing mic'd guitars.

Last edited:
this is why i don't even bother listening to new stuff. i know its closed minded, i know i'm missing out on something i'm sure. There is a life time of music to listen to between 1983 and 2003 in just the metal genre alone between all the bands all over the world. I hate what the digital age has done to production. everything is the opposite of what it was in the 80s and 90s. instead of building a production, its more about getting it done fast and cheap. Same drum samples, same tones, same song structures, etc. its like content just shit out because they have to. not a lot of truly inspiring stuff going on based on what i have heard. even bands that i love like At The Gates have fallen into that shit. Slaughter of the soul sounded like Thomas was going to jump off the speaker and stab your face. The mix was SHARP but dynamic. the newer records sound so subdued in comparison, on all fronts.
I highly agree , but I do listen to some new bands of the guitarist has something new to offer

I can recognize EVH for his amazing innovation and what he brought to rock guitar, and I can imagine how hearing his stuff for the first time back then was really awesome. I was just born after that era of music, and that's really what it comes down to. I feel that same way about Kiss and Bruce Springsteen (not comparing them musically) in that, it was just before my time and something I really don't understand but for the people who like it, it reminds them of a "better time".

I can recognize EVH for his amazing innovation and what he brought to rock guitar, and I can imagine how hearing his stuff for the first time back then was really awesome. I was just born after that era of music, and that's really what it comes down to. I feel that same way about Kiss and Bruce Springsteen (not comparing them musically) in that, it was just before my time and something I really don't understand but for the people who like it, it reminds them of a "better time".
If KISS and Bruce Springsteen had a fight, who would win ?

:unsure:

You haven't lived if you haven't had your ass kicked for having long hair by long hairs wearing AC/DC, Metallica, Krokus, Kreator, and Van Halen tees. It didn't need to be a "better time", it just was. Now explain that to me.

I can't explain getting my ass kicked for having a certain hairstyle because I was always pretty badass.
I was pretty badass too but being a 7th grade badass you still are at a distinct disadvantage against a half dozen senior badasses. I could hold my own against guys who weren't wearing metal tees. I'm guessing either you had a buzzcut or went to school in softer gentler time and place where maybe the seniors identified as trans not metalheads.

I was pretty badass too but being a 7th grade badass you still are at a distinct disadvantage against a half dozen senior badasses. I could hold my own against guys who weren't wearing metal tees. I'm guessing either you had a buzzcut or went to school in softer gentler time and place where maybe the seniors identified as trans not metalheads.
I went to school in a place where there was a lot more to worry about than "seniors" and metal t shirts.

I can't explain getting my ass kicked for having a certain hairstyle because I was always pretty badass.
Lol2NjZ.gif

These childhood fights seem to be a recurring theme in your posts. Sounds like they real scarred tf out of you.
Sorry to say, you’re most likely not going get much sympathy from this crowd, only ridicule.
You’ve been warned. 👍

Not every solo has to be judged strictly on it's melodic content. His rhythm playing swing is legendary but many of his solos did too. His lead phrasing had tons of unorthodox rhythmic nooks and crannies, especially on albums like Fair Warning. The swing factor will be lost if the passage analyzed is slowed down.
Swing is swing regardless of speed. His solos are gibberish the majority of the time. Some things work fast and not slow of course.
I have listened to the early VH stuff plenty, it is good party rock. Just not that interesting to me.
Spend some time learning Im the One solo and you will see what I mean. When he would say he just does Clapton licks fast, he is telling the truth on this one.

That’s now the only GC with decent guitars in it, but the staff is a bunch of cunts and have been for the 20 years I‘ve lived here.
Yep. My Friend Randy isn't there any longer so the place has gone down hill. I miss the days when M.A.E. Had all the GREAT Guitars. I own 3 Les Pauls i bought from MAE.

Back