GZA Hellion 4 stage circuit clips

You make a good point about the 4th stage. I usually back the depth off a bit when going there as it is fuller sounding. The goal was to voice it relatively close to the 3rd stage sounds, and I could have gotten even closer by reducing the 4th stage's coupling cap value a bit. But removing some bass from the stage just killed the feel and the lead tones. Pulling the treble knob to engage the "Pull Focus" feature also will get the 4th stage noticeably leaner and tighter.

The nice thing about the 4th stage is that it can be engaged at any setting. In the lower gain "brown sound" settings, for example. It'll add some nice texture to those
How loud were you playing? I ask because power tube compression could likely solve what I mentioned? These aren’t bedroom amps. 😉

How loud were you playing? I ask because power tube compression could likely solve what I mentioned? These aren’t bedroom amps. 😉
It actually wasn't super loud at all. Maybe 1 or 1-1/2 on MV. Just tickling the power tubes !

I will say that the loop level on this amp is pretty awesome. If you turn the loop level down to about 1/4 way up, the amp becomes a true 2 a.m. bedroom amp. It's insane how low you can get the volume and still sounds good. Better than any other 100w amp I've owned. Similarly, you can crank the MV to 3 or so and not destroy the neighbors as much. It's almost like a built in attenuator. I didn't plan it that way, but that's how it turned out. Great bonus feature. I had the loop volume full up in the clip, though.

Back