How bad is Kirk Hammett - let's be honest.

Why does everyone rip on Hammett? I am not a huge fan of him as far as my favorite metal guitarist. Is he an Alex Skolnick, Chris Poland, or Marty Friedman? No, not even close, but what he does fits the music!!

metalmaniac93":1xwpjr6s said:
Why does everyone rip on Hammett? I am not a huge fan of him as far as my favorite metal guitarist. Is he an Alex Skolnick, Chris Poland, or Marty Friedman? No, not even close, but what he does fits the music!!

Not anymore.... but it did so I guess we can cut him a bit of slack..

Mr. Willy":bdftfr4z said:
The thing with Kirk, IMO, is that he's gotten worse as a professional guitarist. He had fire and played some greats stuff on the first few albums. I'll go so far as to say he was good up until after the Black Album. He's been on a steady decline since then. I think he got so much success and money, that he never picks up the guitar to practice or move forward as a player. He'd rather spend his time and money surfing and collecting monster stuff. Also, all the accolades he received back in his younger days served up everything he needed to boost his ego as a player. And yes, I think he stole a career Metallica.

Totally agree...the wah has gotten way out of hand....his early stuff on the first few albums I really like....he just seemed to hit a point where he plateaued and declined.

Metlupass2":2jd4mz9h said:
He and James Hetfield are the reason I started getting into playing guitar. I used to watch the live shit vhs like every day.

+1K!
I don't get why these threads even pop up.
He inspired tons of people, his solos IMO were perfect for the songs (up till the black album), and the whole band has gone down the shitter, not just him.
And as has been said, he made a shit load of money doing what all of us want to do, and I would bet that he is still much better than 90% of the netizens that crap on him.

Metlupass2":2j844rhb said:
He and James Hetfield are the reason I started getting into playing guitar. I used to watch the live shit vhs like every day.

+1

Not major influences for me but that Live Shit VHS tape was killer.

mooncobra":31cotvgk said:
JerEvil":31cotvgk said:
Well as I always say in any thread Hammett related, "He may not be the best lead player in the world, but he is the best one in Metallica"

There is SOME reason they keep him around. None of us may ever know the answer to that question. Kind of like Maiden keeping "that other guy" around. At least Janik can play. Kirk is the luckiest guitar player in rock/metal. Was in the right place at the right time. I guess their bonds of friendship go farther than needing Rusty Cooley on leads.
I like hetfields solos MUCH BETTER than hammets. I cant stand hammets playing, but that's just me. maybe he has something on hetfield or lars? blackmailing them? I could see that. lars lives about a 1 minute drive from my house, and believe me, the dude is a full blown turd!! actually, it has been a while since I have seen that little midget. his wife literally towers over him, talk about beauty and the beast. he is known as the local menace among the local townfolk. he demands tables at restaurants with no reservations, has a terrible napoleon complex and starts shit, and is THE WORST MOST DANGEROUS DRIVER on the road!! total hazard to public safety and the town youth. I also see hetfield from time to time, he seems to keep to himself and appears to be mellow. maybe when hetfield was still drinking heavy or lars was having some sort of Napoleonic hissy fit, one of them butchered someone or lars could secretly sniff the pickle? I don't know, it has always baffled me that hammet was allowed to stay in the band?

You know....you really don't have to try so hard to be in the "in crowd". This is probably the most ridiculous statement I have seen on RT. Well done. :thumbsdown:

Kapo_Polenton":1bkep0ru said:
metalmaniac93":1bkep0ru said:

Not anymore.... but it did so I guess we can cut him a bit of slack..

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: I am not into Metallica anymore so I have not paid much attention to Kirk Hammett's current stuff. That is another discussion for another day as far as the band goes!!!

He's still around because the only people that don't like him are the .1% of the public that play guitar in their "man caves" while on a guitar forum and are jealous and bitter because the guy (with about the same technical skill level) makes millions. :D

steve_k":hvxbwp6a said:
mooncobra":hvxbwp6a said:
JerEvil":hvxbwp6a said:
Well as I always say in any thread Hammett related, "He may not be the best lead player in the world, but he is the best one in Metallica"

There is SOME reason they keep him around. None of us may ever know the answer to that question. Kind of like Maiden keeping "that other guy" around. At least Janik can play. Kirk is the luckiest guitar player in rock/metal. Was in the right place at the right time. I guess their bonds of friendship go farther than needing Rusty Cooley on leads.
I like hetfields solos MUCH BETTER than hammets. I cant stand hammets playing, but that's just me. maybe he has something on hetfield or lars? blackmailing them? I could see that. lars lives about a 1 minute drive from my house, and believe me, the dude is a full blown turd!! actually, it has been a while since I have seen that little midget. his wife literally towers over him, talk about beauty and the beast. he is known as the local menace among the local townfolk. he demands tables at restaurants with no reservations, has a terrible napoleon complex and starts shit, and is THE WORST MOST DANGEROUS DRIVER on the road!! total hazard to public safety and the town youth. I also see hetfield from time to time, he seems to keep to himself and appears to be mellow. maybe when hetfield was still drinking heavy or lars was having some sort of Napoleonic hissy fit, one of them butchered someone or lars could secretly sniff the pickle? I don't know, it has always baffled me that hammet was allowed to stay in the band?

You know....you really don't have to try so hard to be in the "in crowd". This is probably the most ridiculous statement I have seen on RT. Well done. :thumbsdown:

I LOVE IT! :hys:

"sniff the pickle"

I think he's a good player and a great fit in the band. His leads are a bit rough but I think it adds to the music. If it was completely clean and perfect it would lose some of the edge. And live he doubles arguably the best rhythm player so that has to say something IMHO. But I haven't really listened to much past Load/Reload

Lmao at a bunch of guys that never have nor will ever come anywhere close to influencing the number of people he did to pick up a guitar. Stick to Friedmans and VH and what's 'organic and lush' instead of ragging on a dude for doing what you want to.

Every time this pops up is just reminds me of how many little girl haters this forum is populated with. Get a grip and play your fucking guitar instead of whining about how someone else plays theirs.

rocknrolla":1rtq3nxe said:
He's the lead guitarist in the most successful and widely known band in the history of human kind.
Yeah, he sucks and should quit.

I'm sorry...did I read that right? Beatles? Led Zepplin? Rolling Stones? Elvis? you're saying that Metallica is more successful and widely known than them?

Steinmetzify":10hivu03 said:
Lmao at a bunch of guys that never have nor will ever come anywhere close to influencing the number of people he did to pick up a guitar. Stick to Friedmans and VH and what's 'organic and lush' instead of ragging on a dude for doing what you want to.

Every time this pops up is just reminds me of how many little girl haters this forum is populated with. Get a grip and play your fucking guitar instead of whining about how someone else plays theirs.

You could just not read or comment on the thread instead of having what appears to be a mini hissy fit about other people's opinions and the things they wish to discuss on a forum. :confused:

Reactions: Geo
You know, I'll be the FIRST to admit that I don't like hearing a nervous sounding vibrato. I don't care whether it belongs to Stevie Nicks OR, in this case, Kirk Hammett. However, what I will say is this, I feel it is utter bulls**t to bust Kirk's chops about abusing the pentatonic scale OR the wah for that matter. You can't bust on Kirk for abusing the pentatonic scale and yet sing hallelujah every stinking time Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughn, EVH, Jimmy Page, Gary Moore, or any of those guys pick up a guitar! Not a fair stance to take, to say the least. As for the wah comments, I look at a wah the same way I look at EVERY other piece of gear I own - tools of expression. I don't seem to remember many folks busting on Steve Vai for his extensive use of wah (Morley Bad Horsie), Eventide H-3000's (way back when), or his abuse of the effects in the TC Electronic G-Force and AXE-FX. Gang, we're ALL painters here, and ALL the gear manufacturers are doing is offering us plethora of brushes and paint to use. In the spirit of Rock N Roll and, in my case Metal, I say ABUSE THE HELL OUTTA THE TOOLS!

Now, as for the Kirk 'stole' a career idea... NOPE! He played exactly what the tunes called for, and THAT is why he EARNED his career. Is he coasting now as a guitarist on the technical side of it? He may be, but he did his time in the trenches to reach this place of comfort in his life. I WISH everyone of us here on Rig-Talk had the level of success he has. And you know what? I think there are some here who truly COULD have that level of success if we just get on with it! You know that old saying.... Shut up and play yer guitar!!!!!! THAT is the place I'm trying like hell to stay in!

As for Jeff Loomis, Alex Skolnick, and all the other virtuosos out there, I don't wanna here Metallica with any of those guys playing lead. Cause then, it wouldn't be Metallica!

One should also remember the great Angus young. Did he abuse the pentatonic scale? Yep! Did HE 'steal' a career? Nope! Cause in the end, I don't give a damn how wicked a shredder you are, it's about wicked SONGS!

And that concludes my once a year rant, philosophy purge, and general waste of space on the internet!

Turn it up and destroy things!

Ray

This thread must have been started by an amateur who has no idea what it's like to play guitar at a level where people who are not your friends and family actually love your stuff enough to buy your albums and go see your live shows. Even a modicum of success building a fan base outside of your friends and family would give you some level of appreciation for the gargantuan accomplishment that Kirk and Co. have made.

Mr. Willy":nlp8hteq said:
Steinmetzify":nlp8hteq said:

You could just not read or comment on the thread instead of having what appears to be a mini hissy fit about other people's opinions and the things they wish to discuss on a forum. :confused:

If you'd read it, you'd have noticed the first four letters were L, m, a, and o.....in internet speak, that stands for 'laughing my ass off', which is exactly what I do when a guitarist on a forum starts ragging on another guitarist that's achieved world-level fame for playing an instrument in front of millions of people for over 30 years. I have to laugh, because it's a joke...just like armchair quarterbacks every time a football game is on, screaming at the TV that they could do it better. :no: Every time one of these threads pops up, it's still funny. No hissy fits, ever. Carry on.

acalaf":nlp8hteq said:
This thread must have been started by an amateur who has no idea what it's like to play guitar at a level where people who are not your friends and family actually love your stuff enough to buy your albums and go see your live shows. Even a modicum of success building a fan base outside of your friends and family would give you some level of appreciation for the gargantuan accomplishment that Kirk and Co. have made.

Apparently, this is what I should have said. Eloquently stated sir.

Really??????Another one????
Actually Zakk Wylde is using Pinch-Harmonics more in one song that Kirk is using his Wah in one whole show and nobody said something about that.
Kirk was and is still a great player/musician.To be honest i don´t like his vibrato either but that is his style.The way he plays, the way he is using effects.
But who am i to critsize a man who he in the business for over 30 years now and still successfull.

I agree with some that it's more a matter that the "whole" band has gone down the shitter. The epic retort of "he's rich and famous doing it so shut your mouth" is as old and tired as bashing certain players in the first place :LOL: :LOL:

Wah has nothing to do with it. He uses Wah on most of his stuff since KEA and it rocks hard. I do think he's a player that works a lot better in a pure metal arrangement with more of a "straight on the beat" phrasing approach and that the attempt at becoming a rock and even somewhat of a bluesier lead player has been a disaster for him. Plus he seems to be a horrible improviser.

I really believe that these threads constantly popping up has nothing to do with jealousy or pettiness but the fact that a band that was devastatingly awesome in our earlier days turned to shit and has constantly been so for much longer than they were epic. It's more a cry from heartbreak of being robbed of more absolute metal glory..for years now. It's out of sadness and longing, not jealousy. These guys deserve to be rich a 100 times over for what they gave us in the 80's. Musically we just miss what might have been from then on.

Back