How bad is Kirk Hammett - let's be honest.

Ok, first of all, I'm not -

a; Some idiotic basement guitarist as some have guessed. I actually make my living from playing guitar (Playing in 4 bands and teaching Mon- Thurs).
b; Jealous of Kirk's position/playing and want to attack him because of it. Sure, I'd LOVE to play in such a huge band and I'm happy with my own playing, even though I always think I could improve loads!
c; a Metallica hater. It was because I've been watching the awesome Live Shit '89 and '92 vids and his playing was really grating on me throughout.

Spare me the arguement of "Well let's see you sell 100 million albums and play in one of the world's most successful bands". Just because I'm not doing that, doesn't mean I can't criticise it.

But just watch this from 1989 from the start of his attempt at 'Little Wing' intro and solo at about 3.07 and tell me it sounds decent. I'll tell you what I hear - a basic, 'just about passable' go at the intro, then awful out of tune bends in solo with that 'weird' vib of his.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk9Um1tDAxM

I did like the point someone mentioned about how he doubles one of the best rhythm players around and that's a great point which I never thought of. In every interview I've seen with him, he seems like a really cool guy as well and very grounded which must be difficult after having so much constant success and criticism from hacks like me ;)

JerEvil":1710b8dp said:
Well as I always say in any thread Hammett related, "He may not be the best lead player in the world, but he is the best one in Metallica"
That's true and sad too, Lars ipretends to be a business man , and who told James he could sing? It's just good marketing that keeps them making records. I always thought that none of them had much talent,but had a great PR Man and a lot of luck.

mo_metalhead":37pz6z7p said:
JerEvil":37pz6z7p said:
Well as I always say in any thread Hammett related, "He may not be the best lead player in the world, but he is the best one in Metallica"
That's true and sad too, Lars ipretends to be a business man , and who told James he could sing? It's just good marketing that keeps them making records. I always thought that none of them had much talent,but had a great PR Man and a lot of luck.

I think you meant...Sad But True :D

This thread would have more merit if it was entitled "How bad did Kirk Hammett become - after peaking in the mid 80's when he was pretty decent"

Metaddict":zjgs972u said:
Really??????Another one????
Actually Zakk Wylde is using Pinch-Harmonics more in one song that Kirk is using his Wah in one whole show and nobody said something about that.
Kirk was and is still a great player/musician.To be honest i don´t like his vibrato either but that is his style.The way he plays, the way he is using effects.
But who am i to critsize a man who he in the business for over 30 years now and still successfull.
Wrong thread...just use the search function to get your fill of bedroom rockstars tearing Zakk down :D

I like the solo's on Kill Em All, even though every other solo is pretty much the same thing. RTL is a great metal album and has some of Kirk's best playing and I think he reached his best on Master. After that, he went downhill as far as lead playing.

One thing to consider. Kirk's ability to play leads is probably NOT the reason why he's still in Metallica. They most likely get along with him well as good friends do and they have to spend hours upon hours with each other in hotels, tour buses, back stage etc etc etc. Look at some of the talented bands that had to break up because the members wanted to kill each other.

I'm done with trashing his playing because I still like Metallica, in spite of the guitar solo's. And while there are dozens upon dozens of players that are better than him maybe they just wouldn't be the right fit for the band.

And while a guy like Guthrie Govan is a billion times better than Kirk....what would you rather listen to, a metal song or boring elevator music?

Steinmetzify":2uy9or18 said:
Mr. Willy":2uy9or18 said:
Steinmetzify":2uy9or18 said:
Lmao at a bunch of guys that never have nor will ever come anywhere close to influencing the number of people he did to pick up a guitar. Stick to Friedmans and VH and what's 'organic and lush' instead of ragging on a dude for doing what you want to.

Every time this pops up is just reminds me of how many little girl haters this forum is populated with. Get a grip and play your fucking guitar instead of whining about how someone else plays theirs.

You could just not read or comment on the thread instead of having what appears to be a mini hissy fit about other people's opinions and the things they wish to discuss on a forum. :confused:

If you'd read it, you'd have noticed the first four letters were L, m, a, and o.....in internet speak, that stands for 'laughing my ass off', which is exactly what I do when a guitarist on a forum starts ragging on another guitarist that's achieved world-level fame for playing an instrument in front of millions of people for over 30 years. I have to laugh, because it's a joke...just like armchair quarterbacks every time a football game is on, screaming at the TV that they could do it better. :no: Every time one of these threads pops up, it's still funny. No hissy fits, ever. Carry on.

acalaf":2uy9or18 said:
This thread must have been started by an amateur who has no idea what it's like to play guitar at a level where people who are not your friends and family actually love your stuff enough to buy your albums and go see your live shows. Even a modicum of success building a fan base outside of your friends and family would give you some level of appreciation for the gargantuan accomplishment that Kirk and Co. have made.

Apparently, this is what I should have said. Eloquently stated sir.

I did read it. You typed more than just lmao, you called names (little girl haters), and now you're being condescending and childish. What's ironic is that while you where chastising others to not be "arm chair quarterbacks" and instructing us to "get a grip and play your fucking guitar," you put your guitar down long enough to type your response. This is a guitar forum on the internet. Do you need some instruction on how people spouting their opinions about things on the internet works? LMAO! :thumbsup:

Metaddict":34pqz2nl said:
Really??????Another one????
Actually Zakk Wylde is using Pinch-Harmonics more in one song that Kirk is using his Wah in one whole show and nobody said something about that.
Kirk was and is still a great player/musician.To be honest i don´t like his vibrato either but that is his style.The way he plays, the way he is using effects.
But who am i to critsize a man who he in the business for over 30 years now and still successfull.

The guys in Trivium said they had a Zakk Wylde drinking game. Put on a Black Label song and take a sip of beer every time you hear a pinch harmonic! :LOL: :LOL: They were drunk after 1 song. :hys:

Les Zombie":5cf10gpk said:
i might be one of the only people that likes kirks playing.
i think his solos on master of puppets,orion and sanitarium are awesome, i love creeping death, fade to black, ktulu, ajfa, and pretty much the first 5 albums. growing up and listening to kirk actully helped make me wanna play guitar, on those albums he sounds pretty good. i think play live hes no so great and i can understand how alot of people find him overrated. his playing in the later years has not been very good.
i listen to metallica just about everyday and rarely is it live stuff, its usually the stuff on the albums recorded in the studio and to my ears his solos sound pretty good. i think master of puppets is a perfect song, but i am a fan and to people who arent fans it isnt so special.
+100 :rock:

Mr. Willy":2zkvpw4p said:
I did read it. You typed more than just lmao, you called names (little girl haters), and now you're being condescending and childish. What's ironic is that while you where chastising others to not be "arm chair quarterbacks" and instructing us to "get a grip and play your fucking guitar," you put your guitar down long enough to type your response. This is a guitar forum on the internet. Do you need some instruction on how people spouting their opinions about things on the internet works? LMAO! :thumbsup:

You're right....this entire thread is condescending and childish and I shouldn't have stooped to that level. The whole thing just reminds me of why I and others don't even bother to come in here for the most part anymore. I'll stick to the classifieds from now on.

Steinmetzify":17qxz9wm said:
Mr. Willy":17qxz9wm said:

You're right....this entire thread is condescending and childish and I shouldn't have stooped to that level. The whole thing just reminds me of why I and others don't even bother to come in here for the most part anymore. I'll stick to the classifieds from now on.

Bye-Bye_Time.gif

I get so tired of people pretending to take the high road and calling this forum childish etc... why isn't this the place where we can make fun of Lynch for wearing gloves or Kirk for having horrible vibrato?? As for the post about why nobody bags on Zakk Wylde for his pinch harmonics are you kidding me? That is always mentioned around here.. for the most part we are a bunch of bedroom warriors having a good time sharing opinions about gear and performances. Personally, I think we have every right to call these guys out when they suck big time.. we are doing them a favour. I wouldn't attend a Metallica show if someone gave me a ticket these days.... yeah, they are all that bad right now.Do I think I could play Kirk's solos as good as him? Yeah probably... so I'm totally fine with shitting on him. One thing I will give ol Kirk, is that he can play decent rythm.

To the OP: BAD.

While I dig some earlier stuff, the fact is there are hundreds of guitarists that could've done Metallica better. When I think
of Kirk Hammett, I think of that bee-buzzing vibrato tone at the beginning of King Nothing (a/k/a Enter Sandman 2). He's the
C.C. Deville of the thrash-metal world. Works in a band context, but on his own -- nobody's buying that solo record.

Most of the guys getting their panties in a wad are Metallica fanboys and I completely understand why they're defensive.

esizer said:
mo_metalhead said:
JerEvil said:

I disagree slightly, James is a pretty decent lead player, the solo in Nothing Else Matters being one and check out about 2.38 in this vid of him doing a solo in the demo version of Sandman - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hikI7e83egc

Not bad at all! Now I don't think he could rip leads on every song of course, but I don't think he's a million miles from Kirk's leauge either, so Kirk may be the best lead player in Metallica, but not by much of a stretch even compared to a rhythm-based player. That's like if Malcolm Young were just about as good as Angus! You need a lead player to be truly amazing and I just don't think that's what Kirk is I'm sorry to say. I don't think he's even gone downhill since the 80's; he's been at the same level of painful intonation, shrill vib, wah over-use and not-that-good tone his whole career.

Another good point someone made is that he's probably a great guy to get on with in a band situation and he does put a lot of energy and showmanship into his performance I guess, so on those counts he's worked out great. Also, I think "stolen a career", may have been a bit too harsh, I take that one back!

Anyway, sorry for my ranting, I'm not usually negative about other peoples' playing, but sometimes you just gotta put it out there! Here's a list of players I'm currently absolutely digging at the moment who are unreal players - Audley Freed, Lynch Mob-era Lynch, Shawn Lane, Jeff Buckley, Prince and John Sykes. :thumbsup:

You don't have to apologize for having an opinion of whether you think a guitarist is good or bad.

Steinmetzify":2kw637es said:
Mr. Willy":2kw637es said:

I hear you bro. I should stay away from here more than I do, but it's like a car wreck that I can't look away from. :D

Back