How many guys gig with 4x12's , 2x12's, 1x12's?

ericb

I've gone the 2x12 route for many years now.. I'm the only guitarist in my 2 bands ,and whether it be a 2x12 combo , or head on 2x12 cab , I seem to be able to get sounds I like. I always use a hi-wattage head........ SOO, I just plugged into my early 90's Engl 4x12 downstairs and MAN OH MAN do I miss this. They just take up so much room in the truck/van, or stage, and freak out club owners ,etc so I don't use them . . I'm gonna sneak it in though this year at some of the bigger gigs!!

SO how 'bout you guys? What do you use for speaker configs? AND if you do post on this as to what you use , tell me what kind of music you play at your gigs? I have 2 bands currently , both are covers and we play over 40 tunes a night , and we play a mix of all 'rock' in 1 , and more modern/alt/hard rock in the other.
:rock:

Eric

ericb":jpuu136w said:
Gainzilla":jpuu136w said:
4x12's and 2x12's never with a 1x12 and Im not sure that Id want to..

How big are the places that you use 4x12's in ?

Eric
moderate sized bar and up. 2x12 would work fine in the smaller places and I have to admit that even not cranking it up, theres some kind of mental thing with the 4x12 that makes me want to use that over everything else..

Usually a 4x12 (volume at "1" out of 10), but would have no problem with my 2x12 (volume at "2"). 100w heads always. Typically smaller/mid sized bars/clubs. Cab is always mic'd anyhow, sound guy wants stage volume as low as feasible.

4x12 for me, we play metal....Some places hate it.

I just dont understand what the issue is, sound guy, gear they have..But there is one club in particular that wont let us ever turn up. It kills my sounds...Maybe I should play unmiced?

maddnotez":zcgu1l55 said:

I just dont understand what the issue is, sound guy, gear they have..But there is one club in particular that wont let us ever turn up. It kills my sounds...Maybe I should play unmiced?

Turn your cabinet around backwards so it's facing the back of the stage. Mic it up and turn it up.

reverymike":nd82zrui said:
maddnotez":nd82zrui said:

Turn your cabinet around backwards so it's facing the back of the stage. Mic it up and turn it up.

I really think I might start doing this again at some clubs. It doesn't look as great . . haha, but does the trick . . Either put something in front of the cabinet (plexi shield , quilts,etc ) or turn it around!

I'd like to keep hearing from people as to what they use, as I could be influenced. :LOL: :LOL: Seriously whether I"ve been in all -original bands, or cover bands, over 90% of my gigs over the years have been with 2x12's , and this past 3 years 100% has been , but definitely missing the huge sound of the 4x12 and I have 2 killer 4x12's to chose from!

Eric

I used to bring two 4x12's out and set them up at both sides of the stage if I could. That was with my hard rock / modern rock band. Nowadays I bring one 4x12. I'm also playing in a classic rock band with my Dad and we each bring a 2x12, which serve us just fine. Plenty loud, no loss in tone.

I gig with 2 4x12's (full stack). We're metal. A lot of sound guys want my volume around 2 or lower on my rectifier, really hurts my tone that low, these amps were made to rip! And my rectifier is in a road case with a built in rack which is on casters so I take up a lot of floor space. that's the only down side to my rig

reverymike":171icoez said:
maddnotez":171icoez said:

Question on this (sorry for hijacking)

Turn the cab around and still mic the speaker?

Also using the plexiglass and what not makes me think It has nothing to do with the PA gear, just simply too loud coming from the amp?

A 4X12 doesn't take up any more floor space than a 2X12, or if it does it's a very small amount. I typically use a 4X12 :D Though if we're doing a semi-acoustic thing I've brought my super champ combo a couple times.

In the past i have gigged with either two 4x12's or a 4x12 and a 2x12. These days I play my Mesa Mark IV with either one or two 1x12 mesa thiele cabs loaded with EVM12L's

I play in an Original Hard Rock Band and feel I can push my amp a little more and get better tone when using a 1x12, I only play venues that have a Sound System and mic everything. Plus i like the small footprint it takes and doesn't weigh a million lbs. I hate moving gear.

My 4x12's most definitely take up more room than my 2x12's , and even the oversized Bogner2x12. MUCH more room than my Naylor 2x12 I typically use, or my Tremoverb 2x12 combo. (depth and widthwise!) SO that definitely enters my decision. ALSO takes up much more room in the trailer , or truck and are harder by far to lift up and down 20 stair stair cases! booohisss.. Oh well , still gonna sneak 'em in once in awhile from now on!

As for the question about the cabinet backwards or plexi or dampening over the cabinet, YES 4x12's really project FORWARD and end up way too loud for people in front of the stage in smaller/medium stage setups. If you turn it around , and either mic it or not, you still get a huge sound , and it doesn't kill the people in front. Friends used to do that for years. . Before Clearsonic started coming out with expensive plexi-shields, people used pillows or blankets!!! I have a bunch of Lexan I bought at Home Depot downstairs and ON MY PROJECT List... . someday I'll finish off some plexi panels. . They work pretty well in my experience, ,but I just couldn't see paying the price of the expensive ones, when they're ez to build

Eric

reilly":fkmkm5gj said:
In the past i have gigged with either two 4x12's or a 4x12 and a 2x12. These days I play my Mesa Mark IV with either one or two 1x12 mesa thiele cabs loaded with EVM12L's

I play in an Original Hard Rock Band and feel I can push my amp a little more and get better tone when using a 1x12, I only play venues that have a Sound System and mic everything. Plus i like the small footprint it takes and doesn't weigh a million lbs. I hate moving gear.

Cool , makes total sense to me (Voice of experience!) Here in Vermont , there aren't many clubs we play at with sound systems, so we use our own and are our own soundmen! I've been a soundman for other bands for many years, and even had a sound company for a brief time , and yep I'm with you , so much to carry damn... . I do similar as you ,in using 2 1x12's, or 1 2x12 , but I made the mistake today of firing up the 4x12 again! :doh:

Eric

ericb":11rpw216 said:
I've gone the 2x12 route for many years now.. I'm the only guitarist in my 2 bands ,and whether it be a 2x12 combo , or head on 2x12 cab , I seem to be able to get sounds I like. I always use a hi-wattage head........ SOO, I just plugged into my early 90's Engl 4x12 downstairs and MAN OH MAN do I miss this. They just take up so much room in the truck/van, or stage, and freak out club owners ,etc so I don't use them . . I'm gonna sneak it in though this year at some of the bigger gigs!!

SO how 'bout you guys? What do you use for speaker configs? AND if you do post on this as to what you use , tell me what kind of music you play at your gigs? I have 2 bands currently , both are covers and we play over 40 tunes a night , and we play a mix of all 'rock' in 1 , and more modern/alt/hard rock in the other.
:rock:

Eric

All of the above here 1x12' w/ head, 1x12 combos, 2x10, and 2x12 combos, head w/ 2x12 and 4x12 cabs, the big w/d/w 4 amp (heads usually) w/ (3) 4x12's.

Play-- Rock, Fusion, Blues, Funk, R&B, and Pop.

Don't get me wrong I love the sound of a good 4x12 cab cranked but even in decent size venues you still don't get to push your amp as loud as you want too on stage. I also make it a point that my band can control our overall volume and mix on stage without getting into a Volume War, makes the sound guys job easier as well, then we have a better mix.

My other guitarist ditched the 4x12 and now plays through a 2x12.

ericb":11qztdn4 said:
reilly":11qztdn4 said:

Cool , makes total sense to me (Voice of experience!) Here in Vermont , there aren't many clubs we play at with sound systems, so we use our own and are our own soundmen! I've been a soundman for other bands for many years, and even had a sound company for a brief time , and yep I'm with you , so much to carry damn... . I do similar as you ,in using 2 1x12's, or 1 2x12 , but I made the mistake today of firing up the 4x12 again! :doh:

Eric

I love VT, my old band play a show in a thrift store :thumbsup:

Back