I have a confession to make ....... ( 2203x related ) and also a build quality confession .

Over the years I’ve had a 2205 and a couple different JCM 2203s, they never really sounded special, .. perhaps the 2203s needed some TLC and I didn’t realize it.. all ended up on the way out after a few months. The best one was the 2205.

Last year I found a 79 JMP 2203 ,,, yeah I know they’re supposedly the same as the JCM version and maybe they are??, But this one is special - insert link to classified ad here 😜- not!

This particular 2203 will be one of the last amps I sell,,
Truthfully I’ve almost never enjoyed drive pedals before I found this amp, they make my other amps sound fizzy , harsh , more congested and less dynamic.

But , put any decent pedal in front of this 2203 and it’s character morphs into pure awesomeness.
Each style of boost , OD , fuzz , sounding vastly different from another and with a three dimensional depth / openness to the sound I’ve not heard using pedals before.

It took years and a few tries…. But now , finally I see the light.

Over the years I’ve had a 2205 and a couple different JCM 2203s, they never really sounded special, .. perhaps the 2203s needed some TLC and I didn’t realize it.. all ended up on the way out after a few months. The best one was the 2205.

Last year I found a 79 JMP 2203 ,,, yeah I know they’re supposedly the same as the JCM version and maybe they are??, But this one is special - insert link to classified ad here 😜- not!

This particular 2203 will be one of the last amps I sell,,
Truthfully I’ve almost never enjoyed drive pedals before I found this amp, they make my other amps sound fizzy , harsh , more congested and less dynamic.

But , put any decent pedal in front of this 2203 and it’s character morphs into pure awesomeness.
Each style of boost , OD , fuzz , sounding vastly different from another and with a three dimensional depth / openness to the sound I’ve not heard using pedals before.

It took years and a few tries…. But now , finally I see the light.
I just got a JMP and they are special

What does he charge for those and how did you order it? He only advertises his cables on his site.

i actually found mine in town on craigslist, i think they are $450 new but im not sure how you go about ordering, heres the clip that made me go grab it though.

edit: in the comments he says For info regarding the units please email me at Ossie@3monkeysamps.com

As others have said, get the Hot Mod, no mods required, it just slots into the v2 preamp tube slot (make sure you get the version for the reissue amp). Boost with an SD-1 to taste. Get an 80’s Japanese SD-1, they are just better, trust me.
I run these with a Marshall JCM 800 Studio (20’watter) and nothing comes close.

As others have said, get the Hot Mod, no mods required, it just slots into the v2 preamp tube slot (make sure you get the version for the reissue amp). Boost with an SD-1 to taste. Get an 80’s Japanese SD-1, they are just better, trust me.
NO offense, but you must have very limited experience. A hot mod into a 20w JCM 800 (not even a real 800 220x) boosted by an SD1 is nowhere near the ultimate guitar tone. I have a real 800, hot mod SD1 and it's not the best tone in my arsenal.

Are there any great vids with the Hot Mod.. I haven't been impressed with any I've seen. A guy over at TGP posted an audio file playing his and it sounded really good. He had a Ceriatone Plexi

Are there any great vids with the Hot Mod.. I haven't been impressed with any I've seen. A guy over at TGP posted an audio file playing his and it sounded really good. He had a Ceriatone Plexi
Not many that use a boost that I remember. There is no change in tone, it literally just adds another gain stage (or two with the toggle switch). So imagine your preamp volume goes to 15 instead of 10. You still need to boost it to tighten it up IMO. it just adds more gain to get you to your sweet spot. I have the older model but the new one has a bass cut switch or something to tighten it up.

Last edited:
Just gotta say, that is highly subjective. I have done blind tests myself of different SD-1's and saw other people do the same, and it's all over the place.
If you want the true 80’s sound you have to have the 80’s pedal :rolleyes: it does sound different to the Waza SD-1 I have, it has more mid push and really sounds vintage correct to the sound of the day when you listen to the records. Any SD-1 will get close of course.

NO offense, but you must have very limited experience. A hot mod into a 20w JCM 800 (not even a real 800 220x) boosted by an SD1 is nowhere near the ultimate guitar tone. I have a real 800, hot mod SD1 and it's not the best tone in my arsenal.
I get you, I used to have a 2203X and it had to be cranked. I would prefer that but the Studio gets me close enough to the sweet spot at more reasonable volume. That’s all.

I don’t really like stock SD-1’s that much. I have an mij sd1 I bought brand new in 85. Always hated how it would kill the bass, but after changing a cap they don’t do that anymore. Recently bought a new one to revisit the stock one….still don’t like how it kills the bass, but the midrange does sound quite different than my old one. It may come in handy at some point.

I don’t really like stock SD-1’s that much. I have an mij sd1 I bought brand new in 85. Always hated how it would kill the bass, but after changing a cap they don’t do that anymore. Recently bought a new one to revisit the stock one….still don’t like how it kills the bass, but the midrange does sound quite different than my old one. It may come in handy at some point.
I liked the vintage OD1 models a bit better for that reason, but not as attacky or tight as the SD-1. The OD1 seems to get overlooked for whatever reason

EDIT: Just looked on reverb. Never mind about them being overlooked LOL. I think I bought a vintage one used at a guitar center back in 2018 for like $50. Crazy the asking prices now

I liked the vintage OD1 models a bit better for that reason, but not as attacky or tight as the SD-1. The OD1 seems to get overlooked for whatever reason

EDIT: Just looked on reverb. Never mind about them being overlooked LOL. I think I bought a vintage one used at a guitar center back in 2018 for like $50. Crazy the asking prices now
I've had 5 OD1s and they just get too noisy for me....but I've never had a super early one from the 70s with that rare NEC chip. I've heard they are much quieter.

I've had 5 OD1s and they just get too noisy for me....but I've never had a super early one from the 70s with that rare NEC chip. I've heard they are much quieter.
The one I had iirc was from the ‘70’s. I don’t remember it being noisy, but I was mostly using it at the time to boost this Cameron Jose mod (without diode clipping engage). It wasn’t a super high gain sound I was boosting and the amp itself was very quiet. I had also a vintage ‘80’s MIJ SD1 at the time and felt the OD1 had a richer tone that I preferred, just not as tight, bright or attacky, but I also had my Klon at the time, so couldn’t justifying keeping either (if I had a dollar for every pedal it sent packing I could maybe afford another Klon lol)

I played an OD1 a long time ago. Thought it was ok. Would probably have bought one if I ever saw one. Crazy priced now so doubt I ever will.

I build a SD-1 clone ...... with upgraded parts .... all WIMA and Nichycon caps ...... I put it up against a Stock SD-1 last night ... not to pat myself on the back but ... my version just totally destroyed the stock one .... the difference in clarity and noise level blew me away ... the stock SD-1 was like putting a blanket on my cab ...
I'm also loving the way my Blues Breaker ( Joliet Blues OD ) clone sounds also

Attachments

• 20220916_065725.jpg
    20220916_065725.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Back