Is the 100 watt Marshall rig nearing extinction ?

Jim-and-amp-no1@1043x1400.jpg

I guess i was looking to see if i were the only one crazy enough to still schlep a 100 watt & 4x12 around still.
Narrow is the road less traveled.

I love when a sound engineer pisses me off before I even turn it on 😂

I have no problem delivering legit rock and roll the best that I can but I’ll die before I give it to them through a sippy cup. I need a cooking amp that sits great in the mix to deliver the goods.

You can get more low-end from your Marshall Studio 20W by simply adding an EQ in the FX loop and using the sliders on the left.

Anyway, Marshall isn't really a low-end thumping amp. It is a Kerrrrrraaaaaannnnnnnnngggggg amp.

An EVH5150III or Peavey 5150/6505 gives off that low-end thump much more.

20W Studio series can gig anywhere. It only has to compete with 50W-100W guitar amps of the same or similar type.

100W will be around because of festivals and stadiums but most of us will never need one. However, attenuators have saved the day for many 100W amps (and even ones with less wattage).

Nobody is going to recommend a 100W Marshall to a player who doesn't have the facility or attenuator to use one. You get a Marshall partially for the power tube Master volume crunch. If you can't turn that up, then half the reason for getting a Marshall in the first place is gone.

You know what, I don't think so. Asking old farts like us (sorry gents) is probably not the answer, however I do know at least a half dozen guys in their teens and early 20's that see the allure as we all have. That to me is a good sign.

Marshall’s are the odd ball - I have more low end with the knobs on 7 then I do with the bass on 10. It’s all about what the amp wants, what the cabinet wants, and the response of the speakers. It took me a long time to learn how to dial mine in and it’s only improved my tone for all of my amps since most are based on a 2203 platform.

Marshall’s are the odd ball - I have more low end with the knobs on 7 then I do with the bass on 10. It’s all about what the amp wants, what the cabinet wants, and the response of the speakers. It took me a long time to learn how to dial mine in and it’s only improved my tone for all of my amps since most are based on a 2203 platform.
Volume volume volume. Not enough low end or punch? Turn it up. That's the beauty of the 100w Marshall. My 72 Super Tremolo kicks the living snot out of the C+ Coliseum that I sold recently..and I'm not kidding. This amp made the Coli completely invisible which I didn't think possible...but it's that midrange that just drowns out the lower mid emphasis of the Mesa. At lower volumes the Marshall doesn't sound that tight but man, when I push it it's frogs ass tight with good low end, that I feel in my chest.
Any younger player coming up and looking for their sound, will eventually migrate to a 100w NMV Marshall to try...and they will then realize why all of us, and those before us talk about the Plexi cranked tone...and they will look to add one to their collection.
No, I don't think they will ever become extinct. Tone always wins, and it's one of the best and most iconic tones out there.

Like this?

pFsErLo.jpg

Or more like this?

ifBnntp.jpg

No wait....this

CYT6fj1.jpg

haha yup!! a buddy of mine who was on Ozzfest 03 i think it was gave me a all access working pass where i could go check out everyones rigs, it was a sad moment when i saw the empty stacks like in the second pic, i forgot which band it was but it was three full stacks each and only one cab was real

Back