Is the 100 watt Marshall rig nearing extinction ?

Honestly, I just don’t get all the “you don’t need anything more than a 5w amp since you play at home!” Thing…sure, you don’t NEED a 100w amp; but there’s no shame in buying one if you don’t play stadiums. 100w amps sound better than lower wattage amps, at every volume level imo. Just more girth if you will at whisper volumes. Go big or go home.

Honestly, I just don’t get all the “you don’t need anything more than a 5w amp since you play at home!” Thing…sure, you don’t NEED a 100w amp; but there’s no shame in buying one if you don’t play stadiums. 100w amps sound better than lower wattage amps, at every volume level imo. Just more girth if you will at whisper volumes. Go big or go home.
Couldn't agree more. This place is pretty good but TGP, far out. "You don't need a 100W amp", says the guy with 8 tweed amps and 12 Strats in his living room.

I like and want 50-100W amps because they sound awesome and make me happy. Apparently this is not a good enough reason to get the approval from a random stranger with a modeller or lunchbox amp.

Couldn't agree more. This place is pretty good but TGP, far out. "You don't need a 100W amp", says the guy with 8 tweed amps and 12 Strats in his living room.

I like and want 50-100W amps because they sound awesome and make me happy. Apparently this is not a good enough reason to get the approval from a random stranger with a modeller or lunchbox amp.

Part of it is that blues lawyers play their style of music, and don't realize that the farty low end and sluggish bass response of a low watt tube amp are the absolute worst qualities you can have for high gain/heavy tones.

The tone of a cranked 100 Marshall isn't going anywhere. It’s synonymous with certain styles of rock, as is the aesthetic. What’s more rock/metal than a wall of Marshall cabs on a stage? On the other hand, the sheer volume of a cranked 100 watt tube amp blasting people in the face at small to medium sized clubs is long gone. Modelers aren’t the future, the load box/IR route with tube heads is, imho. Software cannot recreate the feel and complexity of tube tone. It hasn’t yet, at least.

I own 100 W amps for playing at home and at small gigs because I enjoyed them. I don't need them, but I do enjoy them. It's lot like why I own a 400 hp car to get to/from work. I don't need it to haul my ass through rush hour traffic to/from work, but I enjoy it, I can afford it, and I have a place to store it.

They're very similar situations to me. Yes, I understand why I need more power for heavier music too, but I don't technically need 100W to get there. A lower watt, well design power section could handle that. They just usually aren't designed for it.

Not for me. Although, these days I don't move these things around that much. If ever!

Attachments

• Stacks wall web.jpg
    Stacks wall web.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 29
The THD is reactive Donnie. Some internet gurus years ago started saying it wasn't, and now it's 'truth'.

From the poor bastard at THD who is always questioned about this:

THD Electronics / Andy Marshall Designs
Tech tip of the day: Did you know there is an incredibly easy way, with absolutely no electronics experience required, to turn the THD into a purely resistive load? Post that same reference article in the OT section.

Well I prefer the 2204 to the 100-watt cousins.

But even then I just use a modeler/power amp/cab unless it's for nostalgia or ego.

Back