Lack of big names?

mastodon have signature friedmans, Bulb has a signature 5150, Gojira have all sorts of signature stuff, tons of guys have signature guitars and pickups and everything else, they are just mostly death/djent guys no one here listens to
They are also bands that have been around over a decade. I don't see new bands doing this type of stuff. Locally there is no advertising of any metal or even rock bands looking for musicians. It's all other types of music.

They are also bands that have been around over a decade. I don't see new bands doing this type of stuff. Locally there is no advertising of any metal or even rock bands looking for musicians. It's all other types of music.

i dont think ive ever checked any kind of local ads for band members, we had an amazing hardcore and metal scene here in CT back in the day and everyone knew each other and band members were not hard to find, ill have to look on facebook and see whos looking, im kinda curious now.

You can buy a guitar and not know how to play and be chugging in 15 minutes :yes: Back in the day chugging was reserved for keg partys.

At least we have traci guns and one of the skid row guys models. The guitar playing community spoke, and the companies delivered!

You can buy a guitar and not know how to play and be chugging in 15 minutes :yes: Back in the day chugging was reserved for keg partys.

no way panhead, im sure theres way less people here that could play disposable heroes or master of puppets properly than can play fly to the angels or some shit. few dudes can truly thrash!

I think you guys are confusing chugging with djent. Djent is that single string mute bullshit where they’re in drop gamma tuning. Plenty of metal from the 80’s that everyone here loves is chock full of chugging. Hell, it’s pretty much all Scott Ian can do. Leper Messiah…da chug. I would actually say, at least in the more progressive metal artists they are actually all over the place harmonically as far as chords etc go. My problem is they still don’t play anything that resonates with me.

I have decades of music I dig, and find some new players with interesting skills.

I'm no longer in any key demographic; too old for cool, too young for AARP.

Youtubers are the new rock stars

It’s not untrue.

But if you think about it, the companies using YouTubers/IG heroes to hawk their gear are pretty smart, simply for the fact that the majority of guitar players aren’t gigging and even fewer are out there touring. They’re selling to their market using regular guys who are doing exactly what the customers are going to do with it; use it in their bedroom/home studio.

Rockstars don’t mean shit in 2023, the thing that was worshipped like gods in the 70’s and 80’s is no longer a thing. The majority of these YouTubers are home guitarists, just like the market the companies are selling gear to. Professional, touring musicians make up maybe what, 5% of a companies customer base?

While celebrity endorsements will never go away, I know if I were making a product, I’d rather deal with the guy who makes gear demos for a living to pay the bills, rather than the artistic rockstar dude is motivated by creativity. It’s exactly why I’d be a shitty gear YouTuber, I don’t do anything except my actual job to bring in money and I’m not motivated by it. Everything I do musically is because the creative aspect motivates me. I’d have companies e-mailing me “Dude, are you going to make the fucking video or what?” and I’d be all “Of course, once the motivation hits me to do so. I can’t just pull one out of my ass and feel good about it.”

And hell, look how cynical people on forums can be; on this one alone when the Soldano pedal came out, “Pete Thorn makes everything sound good, I don’t trust it.“ as if the rockstar getting paid to put a piece of gear in their rig is that much more of a “worthy” source when we rarely get to hear said celebrity using that piece of gear and have to assume they’re actually using it, rather than hearing someone put it through their paces and giving a demo of all of it’s capabilities.

Back