Lack of big names?

.. It’s exactly why I’d be a shitty gear YouTuber ..
Agreed.

giphy.gif

I’d argue the chugga chugga boys are overwhelmingly generic with their rhythm playing. Cool and unique chord voicings were replaced with low E chugga chugga at some point. Somehow the concept of melody has been lost. Perhaps because not many people take the time to learn songs outside of their genre.
Those guys in Jinjer get it. They’re poets with metal tone.

The majority of these YouTubers are home guitarists, just like the market the companies are selling gear to.

This I think is a misconception this forum makes about the usuals we talk about here as a way to bash them.. fluff, ola, Rhett, certainly Pete thorn and all the rest were in big touring bands before their channels blew up. I think those dudes probably started their channels as a side thing to help their bands and it blew up into something totally different. Everyone could say what they want about Glenn but he’s one of the few that blew up with no real resume.

I’ve made I don’t know how many amp, mic, speaker and whatever else comparisons over the years people seem to enjoy, I can’t wait to get a camera and record myself making those same clips which will turn me into youtube asshole. Maybe I’ll just call my channel youtube asshole

IDK, I enjoy McRocklin's YT channel. I also enjoy Euge Valovirta's YT channel.

Both have real experience outside of the house.

Dr. Andre Fludd has interesting channel(s) as well, IMo.

There are other gear / music channels I watch, usually for entertainment purposes.

This I think is a misconception this forum makes about the usuals we talk about here as a way to bash them.. fluff, ola, Rhett, certainly Pete thorn and all the rest were in big touring bands before their channels blew up. I think those dudes probably started their channels as a side thing to help their bands and it blew up into something totally different. Everyone could say what they want about Glenn but he’s one of the few that blew up with no real resume.
What ‘big touring band’ was Fluff in? Asking seriously. Not attempting to mock him, just curious.

I’ve never watched enough of those guy’s channels outside of Ola, who I knew before he was posting amp demos where he didn’t even talk in them. I know he was just doing local band stuff until after his channel became successful, which is where the Six Feet Under/Haunted gigs came in.

Rhett I saw touring around in some smaller acts and I think I saw a Fluff video where his band was touring but overall, I’m not a big enough fan of the personalities to watch a ton of videos to know their histories. I know 98% of the videos I’ve seen were filmed in their homes and they’re aren’t known for being touring guys, they’re known for being YouTubers. Pete is the only one who tends to get credit for being on the road regularly. From what I can tell of the other guys you listed, they do the 2-weeks on the road and then home for months in between, which doesn’t really put them in the “touring musician” category for me, but YMMV. I’d be able to call myself a formerly touring musician if I went by that same metric, but I’d never use that as a way to describe myself because I don’t feel my two-weeks-at-a-time outings were enough to consider me a touring musician.

There’s also plenty of other GuitarTubers out there, Trogly, Phil McKnight, 60 Cycle Hum, 5 Watt World, Ask Zak, Plague Sythe Studios, Agufish, Stevie T, Jared Dines etc. Again, I’ve never seen enough of their vids to know their history, it’s entirely possibly they were touring guys previous to YouTube. And none of that changes the fact that the primary customer base is at-home musicians.

IDK, I enjoy McRocklin's YT channel. I also enjoy Euge Valovirta's YT channel.

Both have real experience outside of the house.

Dr. Andre Fludd has interesting channel(s) as well, IMo.

There are other gear / music channels I watch, usually for entertainment purposes.
+1 on McRocklin. Down to earth guy :m17:

makes me want a Kiesel, so the youtuber advertising worked:

Last edited:
Why does anyone give 2 shits who's peddling gear anyway? No one should be buying gear solely because youtube bunghole X or douchebag artist Y is endorsing or using it. Buy something because it plays and sounds good to you and fits your needs, not because <insert person here> told you to.

Back